HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

That's a fair point, only ED could answer that for sure. In things like Unreal and Unity the target resolution is requested from the driver (think of it like how a monitor would enumerate what resolution is was supporting) and then the game usually uses that to make up the final scene size.

DCS was quite early to VR in some ways, so they offered a in-engine setting of their own as a multiplier. SteamVR used to use a different scale similar to DCS's, but changed it to the percentage when they realized that different headsets had different aspect ratios, so the Oculus way of '1.2' was too large a set of steps I guess.

I've never seen a visual difference between A then B etc, but would love to see it if it can be worked out.

Yeah I'm just curious how 3 different resolution calls actually work. Obviously the final res is the display res, but if you have 3 different super sampling calls, does the GFX card do them sequentially or combine them or what?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Does anyone have the optimal settings for SteamVR SS and DCS PD?

Should we leave DCS PD at 1.0 and go above 188% on steam VR? OR Keep Steam VR at 188% and increase DCS PD?

My set up:

9900K, 16Gb DDR4 @ 4000Mhz, Samsung 970 Pro M2 x 2, GTX Titan X (Pascal), HP Reverb pro

Edited by drsam

9900K @ 5GHz, 16Gb DDR4 @ 4000Mhz C17, Samsung 970 Pro M2 x 2, GTX Titan X (Pascal), EVGA 1000w PSU, HP Reverb pro.

Does anyone have the optimal settings for SteamVR SS and DCS PD?

Should we leave DCS PD at 1.0 and go above 188% on steam VR? OR Keep Steam VR at 188% and increase DCS PD?

My set up:

9900K, 16Gb DDR4 @ 4000Mhz, Samsung 970 Pro M2 x 2, GTX Titan X (Pascal), HP Reverb pro

Try the combinations out for yourself. There is no set recommendation as systems are different, and people's perceptions of what is good are different.

I spend half my life tinkering with VR settings in DCS, SteamVR and WMR!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I am getting pretty awful performance on my Reverb with DCS (i7 6700K@4.7Ghz, 2080ti, 32GB RAM - full specs in sig).

Here are my key settings:

- In game PD 1.0

- Steam VR resolution 188%

- Textures / Terrain Textures: High

- Visible Range: High

- MSAA X2

- AF: X2

- Shadows: Low

Running the Reverb in 90 Hz / High Quality mode I get unstable frame rates between 40 - 60 with a lot of hitching and juddering. It's not smooth at all. I am getting similar, but slightly better performance in IL-2 BoX. Neither IL-2 or DCS will launch at all in 60 Hz mode so I have had no way of seeing if that makes any difference. Does anyone else have this problem with 60Hz mode?

Others on this thread have reported much better performance with lower specs (e.g. 1080ti) so I am bit confused as to what is going on. One possibility might be that the Oculus client installed on my system is somehow interfering with things and tanking the performance. It automatically loads when I start up DCS and if I try to close it, DCS crashes. Is there anyway to prevent this? I would like to keep the Oculus client installed for the time being so any suggestions on how to completely disable it would be welcome.

System: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z170 S Motherboard | Gigabyte RTX2080Ti GAMING OC 11GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) @ 3200 MHz | Corsair RMi Series RM650i | DCS Installation Drive: 1TB WD Blue M.2 SSD | HP Reverb Pro

Sim Controls: VKB Gunfighter MkIII MCG Pro | LH VKB Kosmosima | Pro Flight Trainer Helicopter Collective | VPC Mongoos MT-50 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals | 2 X Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | 2 X Elgato Stream Decks (15 Keys)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am getting pretty awful performance on my Reverb with DCS (i7 6700K@4.7Ghz, 2080ti, 32GB RAM - full specs in sig).

- In game PD 1.0

- MSAA X2

Running the Reverb in 90 Hz / High Quality mode I get unstable frame rates between 40 - 60 with a lot of hitching and juddering. It's not smooth at all. I am getting similar, but slightly better performance in IL-2 BoX. Neither IL-2 or DCS will launch at all in 60 Hz mode so I have had no way of seeing if that makes any difference. Does anyone else have this problem with 60Hz mode?

Others on this thread have reported much better performance with lower specs (e.g. 1080ti) so I am bit confused as to what is going on. One possibility might be that the Oculus client installed on my system is somehow interfering with things and tanking the performance. It automatically loads when I start up DCS and if I try to close it, DCS crashes. Is there anyway to prevent this? I would like to keep the Oculus client installed for the time being so any suggestions on how to completely disable it would be welcome.

If you are getting 40-60 fps with those settings, then I would be happy if I were you!

Regarding the lumpiness and juddering, you probably need to switch on motionReprojectionMode in vrsettings as described elsewhere here.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

- In game PD 1.0

- MSAA X2

Which version of DCS are you running?

Regarding the Oculus client running automatically, you can stop that pretty easily as it turns out. Right click on the Oculus executable, select properties, and then select the Compatibility tab. Put a check mark in the "Run program as administrator" box, and then click the Apply button. After you do that, Oculus should no longer run automatically. From now on, when you double-click the Oculus executable to run it, you'll get one of those "Are you sure..." type of dialog boxes.

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Regarding the Oculus client running automatically, you can stop that pretty easily as it turns out. Right click on the Oculus executable, select properties, and then select the Compatibility tab. Put a check mark in the "Run program as administrator" box, and then click the Apply button. After you do that, Oculus should no longer run automatically. From now on, when you double-click the Oculus executable to run it, you'll get one of those "Are you sure..." type of dialog boxes.

That method stopped working sometime ago. Even when I had the Rift, Oculus stopped that. Of course, it may have been re-instated in the last 9 months.

However, I see you have a Rift, so maybe it still works!

what is this comparison based on? number of processing cores?

It is simple mathematics. On Vulcan AMD GPU is better than Nvidia from 15 to 30% depending on the title. So if this RX 5900 will match 2080 Super this is it just in GPU performances. Also, RX 5900 will have 5Gb memory more and faster memory and on all that ad benefit from PCIe 4.0. Add on this benefit from new Ryzen7 3700x on new X570 MB and benefit from fast memory up to 5GHz. Vulcan will be able to utilize that.

Last month on AMD presentation you could see how lover end Navi RX 5700 get double FPS rendered than 2080ti. The only difference was Navi on PCIe 4.0 and 2080ti was on PCIe 3.0. In this case, PCIe could be a bottleneck.

Even if it stays it is now for just 15 to 20% better performances pay 800$ or more ... , I don't know. Practically you get HP Reverb + 2TB SSD for free.

And like I say in the end will be interesting to see Intel and Nvidia reaction with releasing new technology or price correction to be competitive. Personally, I'm expecting a drop of the price for 2080ti at least for 200$ and then we can talk about it maybe it is worth now to buy that RTX 2080ti card.

Like I said it is not time to build new configuration right now with all this new stuff around the corner and in the less than a month we will see first proper benchmarks to know more.

That method stopped working sometime ago. Even when I had the Rift, Oculus stopped that. Of course, it may have been re-instated in the last 9 months.

However, I see you have a Rift, so maybe it still works!

If it stopped working at one time, its back to working again, at least on Windows 10 1803. I found that method with a Google search yesterday, tried it, and it works. I wanted to try to get ahead of things, because I'm planning on keeping the CV1 after the Reverb arrives.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

- In game PD 1.0

- MSAA X2

You can untick enable vr headset in the vr options to prevent occulus from autolaunching. You will have to start the game from steam or wmr manually though.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

- In game PD 1.0

- MSAA X2

Suggest you try AF off and shadows flat... for me thats the MAX I can go... if you want it smoother drop your settings or reduce VR res down....

My current settings - YMMV - for me this is the absolute max balanced.... if not a bit too far.. but it suits...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3940799#post3940799

SIGBLOCK.png

- In game PD 1.0

- MSAA X2

You should be able to stop the Oculus service either through the Oculus Debug Tool (under service tab) or through the Oculus Tray Tool.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Looking at the experiences here, it seems there is something borked either with the DCS render pipeline supersampling, or the hand off between DCS and SteamVR for the vr content. We know DCS is not VR optimized yet. For me, if I use the PD slider, I get tons of artifacts and ghosting. If I move the SS to steam, things work much smoother.

Maybe its because of the reprojection, though going with out it for me is a no go as no reprojection causes everything to micro-stutter and smear when the aircraft maneuvers.

I gotta wonder since we are seeing such different results if there really is that much variability from machine to machine, or if our visual tastes are really that far apart. I've tried many settings that just didn't work well for me. I guess ones objective matters - mine is for the smoothest, clearest experience even if I have to turn down textures.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

Thank you to everyone for the help!

I also heard that the "Run as admin" trick no longer stopped Oculus from loading up automatically. I will try it again along with the other suggestions (manually stopping the service or stopping it via Oculus tray tool.

Regarding my poor performance on DSC with Reverb, I will see if Steam VR's reprojection improves smoothness and try lowering down my settings. Up to now I've been spoilt with ASW 2.0 on the Rift which completely eliminated ghosting and juddering.

Other than these technical niggles I must say that I'm very impressed with the Reverb's image clarity. Coming from a CV1 it truly is a revelation!

System: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z170 S Motherboard | Gigabyte RTX2080Ti GAMING OC 11GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) @ 3200 MHz | Corsair RMi Series RM650i | DCS Installation Drive: 1TB WD Blue M.2 SSD | HP Reverb Pro

Sim Controls: VKB Gunfighter MkIII MCG Pro | LH VKB Kosmosima | Pro Flight Trainer Helicopter Collective | VPC Mongoos MT-50 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals | 2 X Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | 2 X Elgato Stream Decks (15 Keys)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you to everyone for the help!

I also heard that the "Run as admin" trick no longer stopped Oculus from loading up automatically. I will try it again along with the other suggestions (manually stopping the service or stopping it via Oculus tray tool.

Regarding my poor performance on DSC with Reverb, I will see if Steam VR's reprojection improves smoothness and try lowering down my settings. Up to now I've been spoilt with ASW 2.0 on the Rift which completely eliminated ghosting and juddering.

Other than these technical niggles I must say that I'm very impressed with the Reverb's image clarity. Coming from a CV1 it truly is a revelation!

How are you switching SteamVR reprojection on or off? Sure you don't mean WMR motion reprojection?

Well, the Reverb has landed.... :)

Comparing it to my old Lenovo Explorer, it's a little.....underwhelming.

Possibly a little more detail on the Burj Khalifa. Maybe a slightly more weathered look when looking at the F18 LERX. But it still looks like I'm sitting in a cardboard cut out with pop up switches, rather than an all metal death dealing machine.

I'm quite sure all this is because I'm not using proper settings - just left SteamVR settings as per default install 100%, let application decide, DCS at PD 1.0 and High graphics defaults

( Before you laugh too much - was concerned about blue line across the middle of the panel. Turned out to be the plastic film covering the lens that needed to be removed - doh ! )

The one thing I am noticing a lot of though is a tendency for that dark grey screen with lines radiating into the distance that you see during loading to intermittantly briefly pop up while flying. Possibly some sort of usb quirk on my system maybe.

Outside of DCS, Microsoft cliff house looks fairly similar, not so much SDE as the Lenovo but by no means SDE free.

In DCS - Hornet hud is lovely and clear, still finding myself leaning in a little to read the switch labels , and a bit more again to read the MFDs.

In conclusion - am I happy with it ? Yes. Is it the Second Coming of VR ? Definitely not. Or at least not yet.

@imacken - I think he means this...

https://steamcommunity.com/games/719950/announcements/detail/1652133167137673234

Its what I've meant by saying SteamVR reprojection since its done in SteamVR and not WMR directly.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

Possibly a little more detail on the Burj Khalifa. Maybe a slightly more weathered look when looking at the F18 LERX. But it still looks like I'm sitting in a cardboard cut out with pop up switches, rather than an all metal death dealing machine.

I'm quite sure all this is because I'm not using proper settings - just left SteamVR settings as per default install 100%, let application decide, DCS at PD 1.0 and High graphics defaults

( Before you laugh too much - was concerned about blue line across the middle of the panel. Turned out to be the plastic film covering the lens that needed to be removed - doh ! )

The one thing I am noticing a lot of though is a tendency for that dark grey screen with lines radiating into the distance that you see during loading to intermittantly briefly pop up while flying. Possibly some sort of usb quirk on my system maybe.

Outside of DCS, Microsoft cliff house looks fairly similar, not so much SDE as the Lenovo but by no means SDE free.

In DCS - Hornet hud is lovely and clear, still finding myself leaning in a little to read the switch labels , and a bit more again to read the MFDs.

In conclusion - am I happy with it ? Yes. Is it the Second Coming of VR ? Definitely not. Or at least not yet.

You have to set it to 188% in Steam to get the default resolution, not 100%.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Much different impression compared to those that said everything was so clear and did not require zooming in to read stuff. Wonder why some people and reviews say it's so clear and different and others say differently. Wonder if those people probably don't have good vision in the first place lol?

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

@IanHx2 -

Because there are settings settings everywhere for WMR, can you please post based on

WMR

Hz - 60 or 90?

Experience - low, med, high, very high beta

Steam VR

Motion Reprojection https://steamcommunity.com/games/719950/announcements/detail/1652133167137673234

Current SteamVR custom setting - in % and res at the bottom

Dev SS - on or off

NVidia

MFAA on or off?

Power setting?

Other settings of note?

You said DCS PD 1.0, textures low...

What about shadows?

What about Trees?

What about object distance?

MSAA? SSAA?

Not trying to be difficult, but looking for some commonality with others posts about performance.

@IanHx2 - and one other thing... What GPU, CPU and memory do you have?

Hey Nagilem,

Since you seem to be the resident WMR experten, would you be willing to pop over to MilesD thread on point control and talk to him about the mouse cursor issues with WMR. Not sure if its going to be a problem for pointctrl or not.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218861&page=120

-Thanks

You have to set it to 188% in Steam to get the default resolution, not 100%.

SteamVR settings : application 100 % video custom 180 % gives resolution of 2156 x 2116 per eye. 188 % would give quite a bit more than the 2160 x 2160 per eye of the headset ?

At 2156 x 2116, it doesn't look a heck of a lot different. Can make out the containers on the decks of ships in Persian Gulf. If I lean in, then I can actually read the symbology on the moving map display rather than it still being a bit blurry. Looks a tiny bit more like metal than cardboard.

9900K / RTX2080Ti./ 32Gb RAM. Video settings in DCS as per 'high' preset default. System tab - res 2560x1440. Not that that should affect VR res ?

Edited by IanHx2