Offset view in VR

Goblin

The default view position is offset to the right, to line up with the sight. This is problematic in VR because you normally sit in the middle, and lean into the sight.

I know I can "re-set" the view by leaning further right and press "center vr view", but there should be an easier fix... Maybe there is and I never heard of it? :)

• 1 year later...

Love the search function - Thank you. This help. I got my Bf109 since yesterday.

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

• 2 months later...

I've just started flying the BF109 too, and must say the offset position is a bit strange in VR.

Sure you can reset the view how you want, but when you fold the gunsight up/down it moves your viewpoint a bit to the right/left, which just feels odd in VR, where if you want to move your viewpoint you just move your head.

Any way to switch that feature off that I've not noticed?

Apart from that, it feels good to fly - only just worked out how to start up and take off so far though, been learning on the FW190 for a while (and still not great at that), so quite a different machine though a lot of the instruments are familiar.

Edit - now I re-read this thread, I haven't tried Teo's suggestion of changing the camera origin option in the 'Special' tab for the 109 - I'll try that next time I fly it.

Edit 2 - tried it yesterday with the Cockpit Camera Origin set to Cruise, and yes, that does fix the position movement when you flip the gunsight up/down in VR, so thanks to Teo.

Edited by JBDCS

I’d be interested to know how using the gunsight in VR works in DCS (don’t have so can’t try). In reality, there was no need to lean towards the gunsight as it would appear in the center anyway, even if only the right eye would see it (LW pilot Erich Brunotte told me this), due to stereoscopic vision. It would seem logical to me this would work the same way in VR. Does it?

I’d be interested to know how using the gunsight in VR works in DCS (don’t have so can’t try). In reality, there was no need to lean towards the gunsight as it would appear in the center anyway, even if only the right eye would see it (LW pilot Erich Brunotte told me this), due to stereoscopic vision. It would seem logical to me this would work the same way in VR. Does it?

Yes, it works as it should (as far as I can tell at least).

The reticule image is at infinity so appears in the right place regardless of your head movements, and you can use either eye (as long as you move so that the reticule is in the area of the sight).

And as I've now noted above, now that I've tried Teo's tip for the BF109 it doesn't move your viewpoint around when you flip the gunsight up any more.

Edited by JBDCS

Yes, it works as it should (as far as I can tell at least).

The reticule image is at infinity so appears in the right place regardless of your head movements, and you can use either eye (as long as you move so that the reticule is in the area of the sight).

And as I've now noted above, now that I've tried Teo's tip for the BF109 it doesn't move your viewpoint around when you flip the gunsight up any more.

Thanks, good to know!

Flip the sight down and you change view to align on the centreline of the plane...

Yes, Danish_Squid, that's how it works by default.

My query was whether that could be disabled, since using VR you don't want it to change your viewpoint - it's like your virtual head position moves even though you know your real head doesn't, and you need to recentre the VR position afterwards to get your head back where it should be.

Changing the cockpit camera origin to Cruise for the BF109 in the Special tab of the settings stops it moving the viewpoint, which is what I wanted.

Edited by JBDCS