HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Hi guys,

Would the gtx2070 super be able to run the reverb? Don't care about very high framerates and I willing to turn down shadows etc. Resolution is very important to me. I'm thinking about the rift s or the reverb. I have a CV1 and a gtx970 i7 2600k@ 4.5 GHz.

Option 1: keep my current system and upgrade my graphics card to 2070 (if possible in my motherboard) and buy the rift s

Option 2: buy a new cpu/motherboard, a 2070 super and a reverb and hope that I get enough fps and that my reverb doesn't black out or is defected

If I run the reverb below maximum settings would that be as good as a full blown rift s experience?

Any thoughts would be great

For reverb I would recommend at least a 2080 or 2080 super. If I was in that situation I would probably go with the rift S.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I have been watching the rtx 2070 super. I was of the opinion 2070 super and the 2080 it not that much of a difference so I considered it was a cheaper alternative.

There is rumour Nvidia is launching their Ampere named GPU first quarter of next year. It is said to get better performance.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Alrighty then I’m going to order one, thanks for the info guys, i’ll Keep the rift s as backup for when I have to send the reverb back to get fixed (almost seems inevitable) but it sounds like it’s worth it. I also have terrible luck with tech goods :D

Edit. May I ask what is the image like in the reverb without aa? I find it essential in the rift as I find the shimmer outside the cockpit very distracting with aa off

Edited by Digitalvole

I didn't notice any shimmer when I used mine. I can open up dcs later today to check but I'm pretty sure that I had it off. Everything was clear and visible too.

Also I already sent mine back to HP and they refunded me yesterday. But does the reverb have volume control anywhere?

Anytime I put it on the volume was at like 50% and it just blasted my ears. I didn't volume buttons like the Odyssey has.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

No physical volume controls that I've found, you'll need to adjust it in windows.

Or in DCS.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

No physical volume controls that I've found, you'll need to adjust it in windows.
That's so stupid I didn't realize that. Ugh. I know j can do it in the cliff house so I guess I will do that before launching desktop and then dcs.

That's so stupid I didn't realize that. Ugh. I know j can do it in the cliff house so I guess I will do that before launching desktop and then dcs.
I use Joy2key to map volume controls to a rotary control on a button box, could be any spare buttons or switches if you have any.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I notice in Task Manager that for me when DCS is running it is not at the top of the list. I have an app called 360 video that is always above it. I cannot prioritise DCS over it.

Is this 360 video part of Mixed Reality?

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.

What is the correct order for starting a SteamVR game using WMR and Reverb? There are several ways but I can't point out the "right" one. What do you do start first, second and so on?

Just asking in general, I'm testing my Reverb unit for errors. Most of the time when I start SteamVR it says a critical error occured and needs to be restarted. Sometimes Steam (not SteamVR) kills itself with no error message.

Edited by Der Hirte

What is the correct order for starting a SteamVR game using WMR and Reverb? There are several ways but I can't point out the "right" one. What do you do start first, second and so on?

Just asking in general, I'm testing my Reverb unit for errors. Most of the time when I start SteamVR it says a critical error occured and needs to be restarted. Sometimes Steam (not SteamVR) kills itself with no error message.

I am not sure there is a right way.

I normally start the WMR portal, start SteamVR and then DCS, just so I see everything is ready but if I start SteamVR it will fire up WMR and if I start DCS in VR mode it will start up everything.

I don't get any errors whichever way I do it so it is just a bit of overkill on my part to see each component starts up!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Personally, I just put my headset on, click on the virtual desktop, and click on the DCS shortcut. DCS loading handles starting steam VR. Generally haven't had any issues doing it this way.

Do have issues with the headset not waking until I disconnect and reconnect the USB but I'm pretty sure that's a windowsMR bug since my Odyssey+ did the exact same thing.

Yup, what I do is put the headset on first. Then launch my desktop app and launch dcs from there. If you are just playing a steam game, you can just start steam vr.

I normally start the WMR portal, start SteamVR and then DCS, just so I see everything is ready but if I start SteamVR it will fire up WMR and if I start DCS in VR mode it will start up everything.

Do you start up the normal W10 WMR portal or the one inside Steam after starting and logging into it? Do you start WMR without a connected headset and then connect it manually?

Personally, I just put my headset on, click on the virtual desktop, and click on the DCS shortcut. DCS loading handles starting steam VR. Generally haven't had any issues doing it this way.

The normal WMR desktop option or virtual desktop as a separate app? Doesn't the WMR portal for Steam build on top of SteamVR or is it the other way around? Also, SteamVR isn't a standalone program as far as I know, how the f can the Steam process end itself but SteamVR is then still running I'm asking myself? SteamVR needs Steam to run no?

I have no DCS at the moment, only testing the unit. So I don't know the "normal" starting sequence a DCS start triggers. Trying to find out if the errors are coming from the hardware/software and HMD/rest of the systems side.

Edited by Der Hirte

Do you start up the normal W10 WMR portal or the one inside Steam after starting and logging into it? Do you start WMR without a connected headset and then connect it manually?
The W10 WMR portal.

The headset is permanently connected

I don't know if this ts the correct waw to start DCS. My Reverb is always connected to my PC when I start the PC WMR automatically starts if I'm not going to use the Reverb I just minimize WMR. If I'm going to use the head set I just move around it to get it started then I start Steam then click on library, Software select WMR and run it. When every thing is running I click on DCS, X Plane 11 or anything else put the headset on and away I go.

13700K, MSI Z690 D4 Edge wifi, Swiftech H360X3 Cooling with Corsair Water Block, Gigabyte 4090 OC, G-Skill Z 3200mhz DDR4 @ 3333 CL16, Evga 850W G2 power supply, TM Warthog,  MFG Crosswinds Rudder, TrackIR 5, HP Reverb 2, Pimax Crystal

The normal WMR desktop option or virtual desktop as a separate app? Doesn't the WMR portal for Steam build on top of SteamVR or is it the other way around? Also, SteamVR isn't a standalone program as far as I know, how the f can the Steam process end itself but SteamVR is then still running I'm asking myself? SteamVR needs Steam to run no?

I have no DCS at the moment, only testing the unit. So I don't know the "normal" starting sequence a DCS start triggers. Trying to find out if the errors are coming from the hardware/software and HMD/rest of the systems side.

WRM's house opens when I put the headset on. Then I just hit the windows key on my keyboard to open the menu and click on desktop to open a virtual window for my windows desktop. I have a desktop shortcut for DCS, I click that and start DCS which starts steamvr, I never go to the steamvr house.

I don't know if this ts the correct waw to start DCS. My Reverb is always connected to my PC when I start the PC WMR automatically starts if I'm not going to use the Reverb I just minimize WMR. If I'm going to use the head set I just move around it to get it started then I start Steam then click on library, Software select WMR and run it. When every thing is running I click on DCS, X Plane 11 or anything else put the headset on and away I go.
I always close out of wmr if im not using it. Windows is known to funny things with wmr anyway so I don't want to have it running all the time. Plus I'm afraid it keeps the headset on.

Reflections

Hi.

Just a short question:

Do the reflections of the sea in the Reverb look anything like the ones on a monitor?

I tested the Rift S some time ago and found, that the sea looks very boring. Reflections of the sun were almost non-existent and general look of the sea was far from realistic.

On the other hand, the view on a monitor looks pretty much stunning and coming back to the

boat from a flight with the sun being very low is always a bit of a highlight for me.

That was one reason, why I preferred to give back the Rift S and that would be a reason for me, to not go to VR if I had to give that up...

Thx.

F14BFM.thumb.jpg.b0745a91677b83c91aa43e802da5f652.jpg

Hi.

Just a short question:

Do the reflections of the sea in the Reverb look anything like the ones on a monitor?

I tested the Rift S some time ago and found, that the sea looks very boring. Reflections of the sun were almost non-existent and general look of the sea was far from realistic.

On the other hand, the view on a monitor looks pretty much stunning and coming back to the

boat from a flight with the sun being very low is always a bit of a highlight for me.

That was one reason, why I preferred to give back the Rift S and that would be a reason for me, to not go to VR if I had to give that up...

Thx.

I dunno once you fly in VR it's hard to go back to a monitor, at least for me.

This is going to depend on if your system can handle the reverb + high setting water option in graphics + shadows, and msaa. If you have any of those off or low settings of course it won't look right.

I find that the water looks fine for what I have my graphics set to and I run flat shadows and no msaa.

I removed the nose seal on my Reverb, so I just put the headset on, peek down my nose at my monitor, and double-click on the DCS icon on the monitor like I normally would. All of the Steam stuff will load automatically as DCS is starting. WMR usually starts as soon as I plug my headset in. I don't keep it plugged in all the time. Then I usually have to peek down my nose again to minimize the SteamVR window that usually pops up right in the middle of the monitor screen. If I don't do that, the parts of the DCS screen that it covers up will be mysteriously unclickable in VR, even though they look like there is nothing in the way.

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Hi.

Just a short question:

Thx.

The water looks fantastic in the Reverb. It has depth to it, and as I was skimming the surface of it in the Viper, I noticed that I could actually see the contrails of the C-17s flying above me, reflected off the water. :D

(edit): Just remembered something about the water in VR in the Reverb. If you get at just the right angle to the sun's reflection on the water, it will cause you to instinctively put your hand up to shade your eyes. Can't get that on a pancake.

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

The water looks fantastic in the Reverb. It has depth to it, and as I was skimming the surface of it in the Viper, I noticed that I could actually see the contrails of the C-17s flying above me, reflected off the water. :D

(edit): Just remembered something about the water in VR in the Reverb. If you get at just the right angle to the sun's reflection on the water, it will cause you to instinctively put your hand up to shade your eyes. Can't get that on a pancake.

Ok thx for your quick answers. Im going to give it a try. Just need to wait for my dealers answer, if he still has the old or the new verrsion in stock...

Try to buy from the original HP store and use the "HPREVERB1XX" coupon code, 639€ all in all until end of October (German HP store).

I've received a unit without a dead pixel, no cable issue, no overheating issue, no flickering. There you have the highest probability to get the fixed ones.

If you don't have a powered USB card/hub get one. I have this one:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07P6MPXJ7?ref_=pe_3044161_248799201_302_E_DDE_dt_1 Flawless.