ED Forums - View Single Post - Question about performance tab of Windows task manager
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2020, 09:15 PM   #1
sirrah

Default Question about performance tab of Windows task manager

First of all, please forget my ignorance , I merely try to learn a bit more about this..

Is checking the performance tab in the Windows task manager a proper way to find my pc's hardware bottleneck?

Few weeks ago I doubled my RAM to 32GB and when I check the task manager now I do see that the bottleneck seems to have shifted from my pc's memory to my 1080ti (the latter one being the first component to hit 100% usage). But I just noticed something weird that made me doubt if Windows task manager is an accurate way to check this.

I just played a mission which was kinda heavy on my pc, but with decent fps. At some point I tried speeding up time (ctrl-z), which obviously destroyed my framerate to about 5fps. While doing 2x time speed, I checked the task manager and surprisingly my CPU, memory and GPU all showed minor usage (like below 20%). I made sure my HMD was active while checking these values.
System specs: Core i7-8700k - GTX 1080ti - Z370 - 32gb DDR4 - HP Reverb - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) - Pointctrl <-- must have for VR users!! - Fully adjustable DIY playseat
sirrah is offline   Reply With Quote