HOTAS upgrade tips wanted! TM Gimble vs Virpil

Hello Everyone!

I am looking to change my HOTAS setup a little, currently I have the Warthog, with the softer green main spring from Sahaj, and sanded and regreased the gimble" which really helped this stick make it "what it should be".

However. I feel it's still not where i'd like it to be "in the center" I still have a hard time with AAR, simply because the very small precise movements in the center isn't good enough I feel. Same with helicopters from time to time.

After doing some research, I have pretty much narrowed it down to the following options.

(I am also really considering either deskmounts, or making a mockup cockpit from wood)

Option 1:

Stick extension for the warthog. using the "orginal spring". This however concerns me a little, because from what i've seen around, the TM gimble and stick isn't as bullet proof as we were lead to belive. Biggest pro here is that it's cheap.

Option 2. Replace TM gimble with Virpil WarBRD base, and continue to use on the desk, I am not sure how much "better" this will be to my already "tweaked" TM gimble? The con with this solution is that it's not recommended to use extensions on this base.

Option 3. Get the more expensive Virpil base, Moongoose T-50CM base, and use either an extension, or buy softer springs and use it with a deskplate or mount? uncertain how this will be compared to by already tweaked TM gimble.

Option 4. Any other suggestions people might have?

Looking forward to hearing your opinions!

I have my TMW grip mounted on the spendier Virpil base, along with the 100mm extension, and I love that setup. Now, I like a very light stick force (I spend a lot of time in helicopters, which I have some RL flight time in), which is probably why I like the Virpil base better, since it has "friction" adjustments on both axes. (I know it's rather expensive, but I have zero regrets in spending the extra coin.) The extension probably adds to that light feel.

Until recently (when I bought a Monstertech MTX profile-based sim rig, as an xmas gift to myself), I was using the Virpil desk mounts on an Ikea "Fredrik" desk for the stick and TMW throttle, and those worked very well.

Pursuant to my reply here, I just played around with the TMW base (with the F/A-18 grip installed), albeit not connected to my PC. I do not think I would like its (unmodified) feel for helicopters at all.

Good luck in whatever you decide on!

Read this review from an engineer's take on all of them. It's written by a guy that's on this forum.

http://jaytheskepticalengineer.com/fathering-and-hobbies/flight-simming/flight-sim-gear-reviews/vkb-gunfighter-mcg-pro-mk-ii/

I went with the VKB Gunfighter Pro. 200mm extension (Now Pro-L for long) and Monstertech longer version.

I wanted a good balance for jets and choppers and with Adjustable dampers. The VKB with the cam I'm using has absolutely zero center detent and is only held center by springs only (dual spring). So it's not "Perfectly center" all the time etc. It really makes you "fly" the aircraft with zero breakout force. Not so realistic for say the Hornet etc. Read that review, it should help you decide.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

However. I feel it's still not where i'd like it to be "in the center" I still have a hard time with AAR, simply because the very small precise movements in the center isn't good enough I feel. Same with helicopters from time to time.

Why have you not considered adding some curvature to your joystick axis? This is the exact reason those settings exist in DCS. Even with a good gimbal and springs you don't have the RL geometry, so some compensation might be required.

Curiously enough the F-16C stick geometry is close to most desktop joysticks, and ED did a fantastic job with the control simulation. It's the only module I have the requires no axis curvature to fly precisely!

Edited by randomTOTEN

Are you sure changing the base will make you better at AAR ? Virpil base cost is quite alot of money (at least for me).

104th Maverick uses cheap Logitech 3D Extreme and he's one of the best pilots in AAR. He made me feel stupid as I have more expensive Warthog and till now still struggle in AAR.

He made AAR video tutorials on Youtube (just search for it).

There's no guarantee new expensive base stick will make you better at AAR because probably the base is not the problem.

I agree with post above, try playing with the curve first then if you're really itching to buy it then thats your money, go ahead

Edited by Oceandar

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Read this review from an engineer's take on all of them. It's written by a guy that's on this forum.

http://jaytheskepticalengineer.com/fathering-and-hobbies/flight-simming/flight-sim-gear-reviews/vkb-gunfighter-mcg-pro-mk-ii/

I went with the VKB Gunfighter Pro. 200mm extension (Now Pro-L for long) and Monstertech longer version.

I wanted a good balance for jets and choppers and with Adjustable dampers. The VKB with the cam I'm using has absolutely zero center detent and is only held center by springs only (dual spring). So it's not "Perfectly center" all the time etc. It really makes you "fly" the aircraft with zero breakout force. Not so realistic for say the Hornet etc. Read that review, it should help you decide.

I am using the new Gunfighter Mk III Pro L and absolutely love it.

I just did a review on it as well:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=260468

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I owned TM and I currently own VPCwarbird. VPC is Premium Leaque.

My Hardware: ROG Strix X570-F Gaming - AMD 5600X @ 4.7 ghz - G.SKILL TRIDENT 32GB DDR4 3200 (14-14-14-34 CL) - GigaByte 3080ti OC 12gb - Corsair MP600 Force 1TB - 2 x EVO Nvme 500GB - Virpil Warbird Base T-50CM2 and TM Throttle + Trackhat + G25 + AOC AG271QG 27"

My Modules: JF-17, F-16C, AV-8N/A, F-18C, ASJ37, MiG-15Bis, MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50 III, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, NS430, FC3, A-10C, Mirage 2000C, L-39, F-5E-3, SA342, Spitfire, AH-64, Mirage F-1CE.

My Maps: Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, South Atlantic.

Hi, and thanks for all the replies. I forgot to mention that i have curvatures set, and after some debate with my self, i think i Will end up going for stick extension for what i already have... And You are right, i need more practice doing AAR. :)