DELETE PLEASE MODS

No the mission is purely to let you know when the aircraft is at the start and in close for grading. It’s also just good fun when you’re flying traps to hear the LSO talk to you.

The overlay should be workable in any mission that has a Huey you can occupy.

Previously I created a MANUAL for our Hornet mod but I was aiming to have as small a mod footprint as possible and was avoiding messing with any Hornet code.

Hopefully it also encourages some folk to get the Huey! Support Belsimtek it’s a great module!

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks very much Jar and Co, this is very well done !

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

Excellent mod! This is gonna keep me busy for weeks and weeks!

Question: I got an inevitable "reenter and go around" call from the LSO after a less than impressive break, however- next time, I got no contact/response. Do you have to do something to 'reset' after you foul up a pass?

Overwhelmed by the kind words everyone thank you, the real beauty in all of this is the magnificent Hornet and Stennis ED gave us though.

Zionid if you were long in the groove the LSO expects you to fly the missed approach pattern on the briefing screen. Climb to 600 feet, maintain onspeed and turn downwind when in front of the ship.

You will get the ‘paddles contact’ call again when abeam the LSO Platform on the downwind.

You must be within the correct abeam range which is roughly set to 1.2-1.5nm.

I always tune my TACAN to 74X and it shows the distance to CVN74 on the HUD.

Groove length is important because if you go long then the aircraft behind you who is flying the pattern correctly will cut you off on final. This used to be a regular occurance before we implemented the Air Boss LIG pattern wave off.

15-18 seconds is normal, 20-plus seconds is too long in the groove.

Edited by JAR VFA-113 STINGERS

I'm at work right so I cant download and look through the contents yet. I use VR, so is it possible to put the camera view on a monitor while I fly in VR?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

If you don’t have the Huey module you won’t be able to load the Huey manual which is where the crosshairs are located.

You will be able to use the Carrier mission and views however.

Also I’ve seen a couple folk accidentally using the VR view on a monitor.

By default the PLAT cam mod is set to VR mode.

In VR you use the first overlay and:

1. Close one eye

2. Line up the 1 WIRE ref line with the 1 wire.

3. Line up the crosshair vertical line with the centerline.

4. Use the VR zoom to get a closer view.

5. I always hit VR re-center just to make sure.

If you are using a monitor you should load up the Non-VR monitor PLAT cam view included in the pack. This places the view further forward and closer to the flight deck.

Jar & everyone who made this happen, GREAT JOB!

A couple of things for those that don't own the Huey, OR don't want to mess up the Manual. I have the Huey on my main rig, but do not on our server, and I really did not want to buy it just to have the PLAT view.

You can put this mod in the TF-51 Manual section. Mods -> Aircraft ->TF-51D -> Doc.

Change the Hueys to TF Mustangs in Mission Editor and your good.

For us, I deleted all the LSO's but 1, that spot gets used by the Server. The Server itself then fails the Integrity check, but still enforces it for all the Clients. I'd like to incorporate this into some Carrier based strike missions, so keeping Integrity is important to me.

Again, great job on getting this out, just giving another option.

Nick

DDA "RV"

Thx for MOD but i have some problems, as in videos it is final stage, why I am rejected "Long in the groove"? I fly downwind just above one of the ships that goes paralel with carrier ~`1-1.2 milesfrom carrier. I make my final turn some 3 seconds after i hear voice and barely straighten out before meetball and even then i am long in groove? Could you make some video of all patern? I barely keep up and still long in groove:/ I doubt i have to turn last corner at very high speed:/

Another quick note. I had to change the Trigger Altitudes. They were in Meters and don't automatically convert over to FT. I changed the "Paddles" to below 1500, I know its technically 1000, but 1500 is a decent buffer. I also had to change the "Flag OFF" altitude from 27 to 90. With those two changes its working great.

The Trigger Zones do convert, so no need to change them.

Here's a short video of me attempting to get better...

RV

Superb work, Jar. The videos are a great watch, I bumped into them some weeks back before I even knew that the F-18 module was a thing.

Do you intend to incorporate this into something that doesn't rely on another airframe as its base?

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Thanks guys.

1. We all own the Huey so putting the overlays there was no issue for us. Obviously you are all free to do what you like with it now :) We also encourage people to further support Belsimtek and buy the Huey. It’s a blast and we use it for missions regularly.

2. The LSO mission is verified by a US Navy F/A-18 pilot. Of course people are free to make the mission easier for themselves (it took us years to get up to speed) but just for the record the two values mentioned are important because:

- if you are on approach longer than 20 seconds, the aircraft behind you that is aiming for the correct 15-18 seconds will cut you off in the pattern. Our pilot friend stresses ‘long in the groove’ and I’ve seen many arguments online when guys doing 30 second finals are cut off by guys doing it right :D. You should be crossing the ships wake before it fades and rolling wings level close to the “3/4 mile call the ball” as you see in the videos.

The guy that went downwind too far is in the wrong and it’s hard to tell that on the PLAT cam as LSO. The other deviation could be that the second guy didn’t leave enough break interval or was fast downwind. This Trigger detects ‘long in the groove’. It’s all about maintaining world peace on the greenie board.

- the ‘paddles contact’ altitude is not a big deal but you should be 600 feet when you reach it. VFA-113 flies port holding at 2,000 feet and sometimes needs to enter the spin at 1,200 feet. We don’t want that trigger going off unless we are in the downwind which is why the alititude restriction.

Edited by JAR VFA-113 STINGERS

I problem Verde, you should be starting your turn by ‘paddles contact’, lots of new guys used to delay after hearing it but it’s a reminder that you should be starting your turn now.

Hey so I have made small attempts to transfer this mission into the Persian gulf region and failed.

If anyone wants to give it a crack and succeeds in getting my LSO mission fully working in Persian gulf I will reward you with the Huey module or module of your choice as a gift!

Please post here so the timeline works and we know who achieved it.

Oh hey Rvator thanks but I was more looking for someone who knows how to just port the whole mission over. I can do it piece by piece also ;) but it’s forty planes and a lot of triggers.

I tried editing the mission lua to change to ‘Persian gulf’ and it looked like it worked but everything was unflyable. It’s probably not possible.

I need some pointers on the groove. I'm on speed, start turning with about 30 degrees bank when I hear paddles, but when I roll out on glideslope I'm at around 0.4nm and have almost zero time to acquire the ball or make adjustments to get lined up.

Does anyone else have the issue with the hornet sliding around the deck after trapping this mission? It doesn't do this on any other missions... Am I missing something? Thanks.

It’s a bug when the carrier speed is over 19 knots. The carrier’s speed in this mission is set at 30 knots, which simulates closely the wind over the deck you’d see in real life carrier ops.

The solution seems to be reducing carrier speed to 19 knots and under and adding wind. The side effect of this is that you’ll introduce a rolling deck.

Nice Tony I’ll have a look, how’d you get it working?

An excel spreadsheet and reworking a bunch of the coordinates inside the mission file zipped inside the .miz file. The ‘Theatre’ being renamed is one aspect, but you have to then rework the theatre coordinates as well as the coordinates of the items inside the mission.

Edited by TonyG