AI has some deadly tricks up a sleeve

draconus

Hey, have I just fell victim to HMS/R73 combo? Tacview file attached. Look what that AI Su-30 have done to me @18:50! Is this even legal?! ;)

I had no idea what happend until last 0,5 second! How can I prevent this in the future?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Yeah that's pretty much what happened, nothing specific to the AI as human flanker pilots do this all the time. You simply have to be aware of the aspect of target and manage throttle and counter measures accordingly. It looks like you didn't even see the launch, which should have been visible at that range. You didn't dump any flares or even attempt to maneuver.

It looks like you didn't even see the launch, which should have been visible at that range. You didn't dump any flares or even attempt to maneuver.

Yeah, like I said - I had no idea - just watching him splash then wtf?!

It's the first time it happend to me :) I wasn't expecting such bold moves from AI.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Wooooow, is that possible?? RL as well?

You have a 45 degree off bore capability with the standard helmet sight modeled in DCS. I'll let you be the judge whether that was within in the scenario. From my perspective the missile was launched from the 3/9 line or past it, not to mention it was way within rMin considering the angle.

What's kind of interesting is that the missile itself seems to have some form of memory track because it kept pulling even when the target was waaaaaaaay outside the FoV. That or we're still playing with the legacy b.s. FoV :D

9X might be able to pull off something like this.

Other than that, as everyone knows.. karma is a ... :megalol:

May be in that instance (as you know lag was mentioned), but it is entirely possible from what I understand. There were some comparisons, if you are in a slow a-10 the missile will actually overshoot you

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Maybe. I also saw a R-73 slaloming behind IronMike in SATAC.. :D

I think the key factor is whether it has such target memory even IRL. In that scenario the seeker is definitely outside FoV limits. It might be a possibility to intercept to last known point like the slammer does in reality. This is especially applicable to my case where I was more or less in a steady high G pull so whatever was calculated initially is still fairly close to where the plane was when the missile came around.

I think the key factor is whether it has such target memory even IRL. In that scenario the seeker is definitely outside FoV limits. It might be a possibility to intercept to last known point like the slammer does in reality.

Heaters generally don't have an INS so there really isn't a way to implement target memory, usually there is some mechanism by which the missile tries to reacquire after a lost lock but while that is happening inputs from the autopilot are usually ignored so the missile wouldn't maneuver.

You've seen nothing until this happens to you:

https://youtu.be/s_cxnl2KNGM?t=10111

:D

That R-73 was surely fired before you see it on your screen (due to ping, netcode, etc.). Which means that, although you see it coming out from your 3 o'clock, it probably came

more like from your 2 o'clock or something...

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

not to mention it was way within rMin considering the angle.

Not sure if this makes sense, but even tough the missile may have been fired inside rMin in a straight line, the distance it actually traveled may have been longer that rMin. And my understanding is that rMin is actually determined by the time the missile needs to arm itself, not the physical straight line distance?

But I am not arguing any FOV issues :)

Edited by bolek

The R-73 has a 45 deg launch limit by default, but the seeker can slew to 75 degrees. Since the flanker is not ASM, I suppose that maybe, just maybe, the 73 can allow much higher off-bore shots with launch override than it ought to.

If you add a little lag to the situation, you might find out that the launch was in parameters on the shooter's side. A 3-9 launch, or a gimbal limit launch in this situation should be possible (the memory thing is probably a thing though). A lot of stars and planets have to line up to get this shot to work correctly.

Finally, I'll point out that the trajectory itself might not be shown correctly online.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda