TMWH Throttle flickering LED’s

mondaysoff

Hi everyone, recently had my first major problem with my four year old TMWH throttle quadrant. Before I write off to Thrustmaster I thought I would put this out here in the hope there maybe an alternative solution.

On booting the computer one morning this week, I noticed that the all the LED’s started to flicker on the throttle panel, going into DCS surprise surprise, no throttle column in control menu, Windows game controller window no sign of throttle, Device Manager, driver error code 10, erhhh, Joystick is ok btw.

So I uninstalled all Thrustmaster stuff and re-downloaded new drivers and firmware and their instructions on how to install, unfortunately same outcome, got a joystick but no throttle. I don’t have the opportunity to use another computer to test, but I would assume that the driver for the Joystick is the same for the throttle, therefore possibly making my device bricked.

This happened to anyone else in the past?

Thanks for reading.

Edited by mondaysoff
Update

Modules NOT currently in my hanger

Yak 52/F-14 Tomcat/CE II/Mig-19/I-16/FW-A-8/JF-17/Supercarrier

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4690k

H100i CPU Cooler

16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 Hyper X Fury Red

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU

Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD

128gb Plextor M.2 storage (Boot Drive)

Windows 10 X64 Professional

Acer XB281HK G-sync monitor

Trackir 5

MFG Crosswind pedals

T M Warthog Hotas

I used to get this quite often with my throttle. but after a while of flying.

a reboot of the pc always fixed it.

found out it was the USB bus being overloaded. so I unplugged half the stuff I was not using.

I since got VR and another USB card so I have split the load a lot more and don't see it anymore.

I actually think the culprit was my steering wheel.. which now remains unplugged when I'm flying.

so try unplugging all usb devices except the throttle and see if it works.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Hi everyone, recently had my first major problem with my four year old TMWH throttle quadrant. Before I write off to Thrustmaster I thought I would put this out here in the hope there maybe an alternative solution.

On booting the computer one morning this week, I noticed that the all the LED’s started to flicker on the throttle panel, going into DCS surprise surprise, no throttle column in control menu, Windows game controller window no sign of throttle, Device Manager, driver error code 10, erhhh, Joystick is ok btw.

So I uninstalled all Thrustmaster stuff and re-downloaded new drivers and firmware and their instructions on how to install, unfortunately same outcome, got a joystick but no throttle. I don’t have the opportunity to use another computer to test, but I would assume that the driver for the Joystick is the same for the throttle, therefore possibly making my device bricked.

This happened to anyone else in the past?

Thanks for reading.

Try running it off a self powered usb hub. It made a big difference in reliability when I bought one to run the hotas from.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

I concur. I have a USB 2.0 hub (which supposedly works more reliably with these controllers) and when I plug the two Cougar MFD's, the pedals and the TM Cougar plus Warthog Throttle, sometimes I'd get the same flickering problem or the Throttle would disconnect during the sim. Plugging in the hub's power supply made it much more stable.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Try running it off a self powered usb hub. It made a big difference in reliability when I bought one to run the hotas from.

I used to get this quite often with my throttle. but after a while of flying.

a reboot of the pc always fixed it.

found out it was the USB bus being overloaded.

so try unplugging all usb devices except the throttle and see if it works.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I actually run the Joystick and throttle from a powered USB extension as I have done for 4 years, with all other devices connected as well, Mouse/keyboard, trackir, rudder pedals, so with all unplugged except the throttle, still no joy, whatever port it is plugged into Windows detects it, sometimes the lights on the throttle panel come on and sometimes they don’t but no new entries in the Game Controller and still getting driver error code 10. with a clean install of latest driver.

I have lost count of the amount of times I have restarted this machine. I could try a brand new USB hub, but if everything else works through it, this to me still points to a semi dead device. I do have an iMac 27” but no really willing to setup BootCamp to test one device.

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

H100i CPU Cooler

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU

Trackir 5

MFG Crosswind pedals

T M Warthog Hotas

• 2 weeks later...

Update

So contacted Thrustmaster support, they were very quick to respond, based on what I told them a new PCB is required. All payed for and delivered in under a week. New board arrived, but with no instructions, anybody got any tips about replacing this? never opened one of these before.

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

H100i CPU Cooler

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU

Trackir 5

MFG Crosswind pedals

T M Warthog Hotas

So contacted Thrustmaster support, they were very quick to respond, based on what I told them a new PCB is required. All payed for and delivered in under a week. New board arrived, but with no instructions, anybody got any tips about replacing this? never opened one of these before.

Open the bottom plate and see for yourself, then you’ll know what to do. It is very straight forward and took me few mins top.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I opened mine once and found this. Connectors sealed with something. Is that hot glue?

Here's a thread with throttle inside pics.

blYTyzW.jpg

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))