Hornet Hype thread. Videos, Pictures, Books, Articles. Build that hype.

Ocelotunit

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FIAF Hornets

Not so much Hornets, but cool formation!

The national parade of Finland’s centenary included some special events such as a Finland 100 special formation flypast by Finnish Air Force F/A-18 multi-role fighters and a static display of a F/A-18 at the main square of the city of Kuopio. Combat Camera Finland documented the parade from its preparation stage on December 5th to the parade review on the December 6th.

Everything is possible except skiing through revolving doors.

I don't know if this is the right thread... but here goes:

Considering the just-published Hornet Caucasus video by Wags- is it just me, or do you feel that the sense of speed is way off... as if the trees were way too big.

In the video, flight speed is around 700 KIAS. For reference, the sense of speed and motion in the Su-25 over Normandy (by Wags as well) seems to have similar sense of speed (a little lower), but that is played on a lower FOV (which decreases the sense of speed) and the speed in that is just below 700 KMPH! The difference in speed is almost 2x, but the Hornet video seems just slightly faster.

As a reference I watched a RAF Typhoon video (albeit at a larger FOV) of a low-level flight at 400KIAS. On that the sense of speed seems much higher. Admittedly the rumble of the airframe and the larger FOV add to it, BUT, that is still 300 knots slower than the Hornet video.

Links:

Hornet:

Su-25 over Normandy, good reference footage at around 2 minutes:

The RAF Typhoon video. Check around 1:25:

What's your take on this?

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Shows Here:

[YOUTUBE]24mxhEl1B0Y[YOUTUBE]

Neither of the official two copies (on Matt's and on ED's channel) open on my Android 7.1 device, neither in the official YT app nor in the browser (Firefox).

You know you've spent too long in one map when ED release a graphically upgraded version and you still know which exact valley is being shown and which airfield (hi, Batumi!) is going to be at the end of it.

Does look good though.

My reaction was similar :) Mine actually was: "I know where this is... this valley... in the mountains... in Caucasus... shiiiii#..." :D

I don't know if this is the right thread... but here goes:

Considering the just-published Hornet Caucasus video by Wags- is it just me, or do you feel that the sense of speed is way off... as if the trees were way too big.

In the video, flight speed is around 700 KIAS. For reference, the sense of speed and motion in the Su-25 over Normandy (by Wags as well) seems to have similar sense of speed (a little lower), but that is played on a lower FOV (which decreases the sense of speed) and the speed in that is just below 700 KMPH! The difference in speed is almost 2x, but the Hornet video seems just slightly faster.

As a reference I watched a RAF Typhoon video (albeit at a larger FOV) of a low-level flight at 400KIAS. On that the sense of speed seems much higher. Admittedly the rumble of the airframe and the larger FOV add to it, BUT, that is still 300 knots slower than the Hornet video.

Links:

Hornet:

Su-25 over Normandy, good reference footage at around 2 minutes:

The RAF Typhoon video. Check around 1:25:

What's your take on this?

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

I completely agree. This is closer to 550kts. 700 is way fast for a hornet anyways at that drag count while maneuvering even if it was a big motor Charlie. Breaking the number at sea level is certainly doable at max AB in a slick hornet but in level flight almost impossible with pylons and ordnance.

• 3 weeks later...

5e Escadre Virtuelle du Canada / 5 Virtual Wing of Canada

Intel i9-9900KF - 8 Cores/16 Threads - 3,6/5,0GHZ / 48GB RAM / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD / Crucial P5 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Internal SSD / WD Gold 2TB Enterprise Class HDD / NVIDIA RTX 3090 / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Warthog / F/A-18C Hornet HOTAS ADD-ON Grip / WINWING Super Taurus Throttle / Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals / Win 10 Pro

Modules owned: P-51D, F-86F, A-10C, M-2000C, F-5E, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-16C

Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Syria.

My apologies if this is a repost.

5e Escadre Virtuelle du Canada / 5 Virtual Wing of Canada

Intel i9-9900KF - 8 Cores/16 Threads - 3,6/5,0GHZ / 48GB RAM / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD / Crucial P5 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Internal SSD / WD Gold 2TB Enterprise Class HDD / NVIDIA RTX 3090 / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Warthog / F/A-18C Hornet HOTAS ADD-ON Grip / WINWING Super Taurus Throttle / Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals / Win 10 Pro

Modules owned: P-51D, F-86F, A-10C, M-2000C, F-5E, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-16C

Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Syria.

HUD + FLIR simulation footage?

EDIT: watched their other video and it looks like these guys got some time to play with the USN F/A-18C simulator. So this is what the Navy's simulator displays.. At least back in 2002.

Also, some HMD footage.

7DlBZvw.png?1

(at the 35:34 mark)
Edited by Beamscanner

• 1 month later...

In a little under a weeks time, the Hornet has been in pre-purchase for 3 months already. Sure went fast, and I hope the time will go just as fast, if not faster, for the Early Access release.

Cant come soon enough.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

In a little under a weeks time, the Hornet has been in pre-purchase for 3 months already.

I think you might mean 2 months. I pre-ordered on Jan 12th 2018, which if memory serves me correctly is day one. When exactly do you think it went on pre-purchase sale?

Edited by aileron

Haha indeed. No wonder I think time was flying :).

Got fooled by the date stamp, 1.12.2018. Didnt pick up on the year, but just read that as december 1st. We go day, month, year in Denmark.

Oh well never mind me.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |