Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - Donation page is online

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now i prefer the mustang mod terrain. starway mod is obsolete and nothing update.

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

Guess I'll be trying out Mustang's mod and see if everything works in the TGP and mirrors.

Tried out Mustang's mod after performing the DCS update that was released today (or yesterday). Worked fine with the TGP and mirrors.

Out of curiosity, because of the DCS update, I retried using the Starway's mod to see if it somehow fixed the blank TGP and mirrors...and somehow it did. Weird...

Mustang's mod was nice...but I personally prefer the Starway's mod. To much snow coverage for me in Mustang's...especially for the "Enemy Within" campaign which is what I've been replaying lately. Its 16 degrees above freezing throughout the campaign...but i'll def reload Mustang's if makes a winter campaign where the ambient temperature is at or below 0 degrees Celcius (32 degrees Fahrenheit)....or if I decide to play a "winter version" of the DCS multiplayer servers.

Drastic difference in flying the A-10 map of the Earth between these 2 ground texture mods. Really hazardous with Mustang's. Because of the snow it's really hard to see hills.

Edited by dadunn1700

• 2 months later...
Anyone know where I can find a Nevada terrain mod?

In my opinion there is no Nevada mod, only for caucasus there are three. Starway, Mustang and Barthek.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

• 3 months later...
I am very happy to announce that the whole campaign is a full success! This morning we've crossed the $3,000 mark! This means that I will continue working on this DLC right away to make it T4 ready! The release of this update will be provided for free.

Hi Starway, now that 2.5 has dropped are you going to be releasing/working on the textures for the updated map? Are texture mods even possible under the new map engine?

Just curious, what is wrong with the stock 2.5 terrain textures?

Curiosity is the first step to hell ;)

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

The textures for 1.5 were dull, grey and gritty.

But now with 2.5, I don't see anything that I think is worthy to be improved drastically, just like Normandy and Nevada. Unlike before, I think I'll pass on a texture mod this time.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

There is a ton of stuff that could be improved upon the 2.5 Caucasus. From the flat, lawn like noise texture that covers 80% of the map, to town textures and fields as well. Plenty of stuff here that the talented modder could improve. Of course, I understand it is subjective, and if most people love it, fine no problem. But I still hope that in can be cracked. In fact I think all the three major texture mods for the default map (Mustang, Barthek and Starway) that were used for 1.5 still looked better. The major improvement for 2.5 are the geometry, the forests, the water and the lighting. Textures are a different matter.

• 2 months later...
Quite a long time, hope he can respond back to us! +1.
Yeah, a condition of earning above a certain amount was that he'd release textures for 2.5 as well. If he doesn't and he's still took the money, kinda a scumbag move.

The quote, from the front page "When the amount of donations will reach 3000 $, I will release the T4 package under the same conditions."

He earned above the specified amount.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Just curious, what is wrong with the stock 2.5 terrain textures?

Only thing I don't like is the tree textures.

Intel® Core™ i5-2500k CPU@4.20GHz 64 bit operation System Windows 10+ Pro NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - Memory: 16.0 GB - 500gb ssd samsung - Samsung 27"SyncMaster TA550 monitors [SIZE=1][B]- [/B][/SIZE][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]TM Hotas Warthog[/SIZE][/FONT] Trackir4 - TM Rudder Pedals.

Did everyone considered that he might helped ED in background so that current textures are actually reflecting his work too ? :)

It is just an assumption of mine, pls don't shoot me, however Caucasus textures are very well done and I will not replace them just to have some more vivid colors.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Yeah, a condition of earning above a certain amount was that he'd release textures for 2.5 as well. If he doesn't and he's still took the money, kinda a scumbag move.

The quote, from the front page "When the amount of donations will reach 3000 $, I will release the T4 package under the same conditions."

He earned above the specified amount.

I dont see that reference for dcs 2.5 in the OP. Maybe I misunderstood, but that meant the level of detail in the textures.

To redo the textures for 2.5 is not just a re-release, but a whole placement issue from the start. ED had to do a lot of work to keep the old missions working. I don't think it's a case of simply overlaying the textures on to the new mesh...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

i7-7700K 4.2 GHz, Gigabyte GTX 980 4Gb, Asus Prime z270k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz, Plextor PCIe SSD 256Gb, Samsung EVO 750 SSD 500Gb, 9.5TB SATA incl 4TB Mirrored. Saitek X52-Pro

T4 is the new DCS terrain engine standard. The one that is used for all the new maps, and the 2.5 Black Sea map.

The intention was that he would also create textures for the new 2.5 Black Sea map. But he's been inactive since last year so who knows.

Only thing I don't like is the tree textures.

What about the default tree textures, vs Mustang tree textures ?

Is there a difference between them ?

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5