Frontlines Georgia Campaign

im stuck on mission 2. when the 2 sets of hinds fly in i am having diffficulty engaging the second set after killing the first. Manually controlling 1 shilka at a time is not cutting it for killing 4 hinds quick enough as they just atgm everything on their second pass. why are the AI gunners disabled for this mission, is there any way to tell the other shilka to engage? the other issue i have seen on this mission is when you damage a hind it may fly off into the sunset leaving the mission progress stuck. leaving you to have to redo the FALLBACK mission just so you can redo mission 2 AGAIN. at this point i would love to skip this mission.

Edited by sharkforce

MSI Z170A G45, 32 GB DDR 4, 1080ti, I7 6700k, Trackir5, Warthog HOTAS. Microsoft FF2 Sidewinder

I had thought of that as well, that its meant for you guys that have had CA forever, and not had much to do with it, I am thinking of approaching ED with a small, more training type campaign for CA, to be free with CA. Thoughts on that?

May be a little off topic, but this is an issue for ALL modules, the most of the campaigns available for free or payware are towards people already very competent with the module. I and probably many like me, really miss this type of campaigns which will simulate real live training/practice and fulfill the gap between the simple training missions and more advanced campaigns. The only exceptions are A-10 maple flag missions, L-39 Kursant and M-2000 default campaign.

As for the CA campaign, I am happy that ED is coming back to this module, I own it from long time ago, never learned it, I would definitely buy a more training oriented campaign and give it a shot(and this is valid for pretty much all modules - yes I have them all) But I will stay away from this one if it requires you to be real army commander to play it.

And if you will provide feedback to ED please mention this - Pay more attention to briefings and always provide them as PDF aside of the in game briefing! Good example are Baltic_dragon campaigns!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just finished the first mission, I'm no stranger to CA or DCS so I'm just going to throw it out here:

- The pictures of the TGP in the mission briefing don't really give an idea of what you're looking at. I thought these were the objectives, hopefully I'm right..

- AI Air is incredibly slow. The Hinds, after activating them and giving them a waypoint to fly to, no matter the ROE, speed or alt given, they crawl to the position at 74km/h, my BTRs were faster.

- In CA, there is no indication that the artillery is actively firing besides looking at the F7 few with one artillery piece selected. I know it takes some time for the arty to fire but it would be nice to be able to gauge when the shots will fall

- SU25s make good work of the MBTs in the mission, I like the fact that you have to choose the loadouts before mission start. The weather was foggy but the SU25s were undeterred and took on a MBT column with a vengeance.

- I know this is the first mission, in the loadout screen you can see both composition and disposition of the enemy. I know we can have intelligence but for me it was quite easy to sneak my BMPs through the gap and tear the Red ARTY to pieces. I wouldn't do that if I didn't knew where it was.

On a side note, wher ecan I find the PDF file that came with the campaign? It's not in the Doc folder of DCS...

Edited by Looney
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

• ED Team

Excellent feedback, I am adjusting to try and help or fixes some of these issues.

Just finished the first mission, I'm no stranger to CA or DCS so I'm just going to throw it out here:

- The pictures of the TGP in the mission briefing don't really give an idea of what you're looking at. I thought these were the objectives, hopefully I'm right..

- AI Air is incredibly slow. The Hinds, after activating them and giving them a waypoint to fly to, no matter the ROE, speed or alt given, they crawl to the position at 74km/h, my BTRs were faster.

- In CA, there is no indication that the artillery is actively firing besides looking at the F7 few with one artillery piece selected. I know it takes some time for the arty to fire but it would be nice to be able to gauge when the shots will fall

- SU25s make good work of the MBTs in the mission, I like the fact that you have to choose the loadouts before mission start. The weather was foggy but the SU25s were undeterred and took on a MBT column with a vengeance.

- I know this is the first mission, in the loadout screen you can see both composition and disposition of the enemy. I know we can have intelligence but for me it was quite easy to sneak my BMPs through the gap and tear the Red ARTY to pieces. I wouldn't do that if I didn't knew where it was.

On a side note, wher ecan I find the PDF file that came with the campaign? It's not in the Doc folder of DCS...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

CA probably needs a few more messages like DCS has as standard (radio/text chatter from your tower, friendly flights etc). There could be an adjustable subscribe/push system for those messages... not sure what DCS currently has for it and it's worth another thread in CA/general.

Eg. also when your ground units have found the enemy and are engaging/destroyed.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi NineLine,

You was speaking about the possibility to make a "training campaign" for CA. Is this still a project, or even a possibility ?

I'm interested in CA and your campaign, but I think this module and campaign can be a bit harsh for a newcomer :huh:

• Like 1

• ED Team
Hi NineLine,

You was speaking about the possibility to make a "training campaign" for CA. Is this still a project, or even a possibility ?

I'm interested in CA and your campaign, but I think this module and campaign can be a bit harsh for a newcomer :huh:

Yeah I am still thinking about doing a free one for CA, but I am afraid I haven't had a ton of time to work on it, but I need to, I agree its important for sure.

• Like 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Can anyone tell me

On 4/16/2019 at 6:54 PM, Mano said:

In mission 1 I'm not able to change the loadout of Hinds and Su-25...If I click on Mission Planner I don't see any unit available to edit...how to?

On 4/16/2019 at 11:54 PM, NineLine said:

A recent change affected CA, I am trying to get it addressed.

Have any of the issues with the CA campaign been addressed? I would really like to try this campaign if it is playable.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just finished the CA campaign. It's "playable". Some things work great, some not some much, and some are completely broken. Many issues due to AI problems (pathfinding, ignoring assigned targets, using wrong weapons), but also missions have problems. Most annoying are triggers and victory conditions. You damage first wave of helis, they run away and second wave is not triggered, so you have to wait for some time and then you get mission failed, but don't know why (later you see in TacView that AI AA only damaged one heli). Sometimes you kill all enemies that are in area, but nothing happens, there is timer, but it works in strange ways, sometimes not notifying, sometimes notifying every few minutes that you're controlling one of three areas (but you control all). So after waiting 15 minutes you end mission and get randomly success or failure (it feels random). You retry broken missions few times, do what mission description asks you, but fail. Then you click skip mission (did that on just 2).

Minor issues are that you must enter mission planner and arm aircraft (you get info for that too late, when mission is already started 🙂). Some aircraft are not armed, some are, some over max weight, you arm 2 groups, but in some missions can call only one. Very confusing, what should player change, what leave as it is...

But! The things that do work, work just fine and I had fun in those moments, campaign has nice potential. I don't mind spending $5 on it in sale, if plan is to improve it. I would then replay it.

And I would buy training campaign, but I think there is no point in doing it before some core things are fixed in CA.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
36 minutes ago, Blackbird7 said:

@Callsign112 Once you get used to workarounds for problems, there is fun in playing it. But still, be ready for frustrating moments from time to time. 🙂

I hope there will be improvements for CA in near future, and then some new campaign.

You have probably read this thread already, but in case you haven't, the person starting this thread gave some really good insight into the campaigns flow of game play with workable solutions.

I think 9line did a really good job responding to his suggestions, but the issue regarding Ai helicopters that bug out, or make an emergency landing and prevent you from progressing through the campaign were supposed to have been addressed if you read through the whole thread.

Maybe you should make a bug report to see what they say. The solutions suggested in the other thread shouldn't be too difficult to implement as a fix for something as major as stopping progression through the campaign.

I will be picking up the campaign to give it a go, but also think now is the time more than ever for ED to do what has to be done to get more boots on the ground.

• Like 1

Yes, I remember that thread, it helped me to win some missions. But it's been some time since I played, and most of the problems I do remember are known, AI related. Worst of all was pathfinding, units stop moving without a reason. So missions where you have to command many moving ground units... it's BAD.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blackbird7 said:

Yes, I remember that thread, it helped me to win some missions. But it's been some time since I played, and most of the problems I do remember are known, AI related. Worst of all was pathfinding, units stop moving without a reason. So missions where you have to command many moving ground units... it's BAD.

I don't know what to make of people reporting path-finding issues. This is in fact one of the major reasons I held off getting the campaign. If the campaign was being played in MP, I could understand issues with Ai path finding. But I don't see any major problems with Ai path finding while I play in Single Player, so I can't figure out why people are reporting it with this campaign. Clearly it must have something to do with the campaign itself.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Callsign112 said:

I don't know what to make of people reporting path-finding issues. This is in fact one of the major reasons I held off getting the campaign. If the campaign was being played in MP, I could understand issues with Ai path finding. But I don't see any major problems with Ai path finding while I play in Single Player, so I can't figure out why people are reporting it with this campaign. Clearly it must have something to do with the campaign itself.

I can assure you, that Single Player missions and this campaign are plagued with AI pathing issues. I see it on a daily basis. If you aren't, please share your secrets. I have given up reporting them until I see some/any progress from ED.

• Like 1

I am about to buy the campaign, and I am not doubting that people have had Ai pathing issues. I am more curious to know why?

I know in one of the previous patches post v2.7, I did see an increase in the number of weird Ai behaviors, but previous to that I was having very little problem with getting Ai to follow way points in SP mode. I was even able to get 3 lanes of Ai traffic on the same road. 

As I said, there must be something about the campaign itself that is causing it, which is why I was holding off getting it. I decided to just go ahead and give it a try anyway, so I will report back here any news.

You don't see many recent YouTube videos about the CA: FLG, but this guy has been playing through the whole campaign and uploading the video as he goes. Anyone interested in getting an idea about what the campaign is all about can google for this guy on YouTube.

• Like 1