Death comes silently

Crispus

I am pretty new to DCS and am getting hours under my belt. I mostly fly the F/A-18 but also have some time in the AV-8B and a couple of other aircraft.

I am painfully aware that my situational awareness sucks but it seems to me that when death comes (and it comes frequently!) it all happens rather quietly. I just flew the F/A-18 Interdiction mission and got shot down by an SA-3, I had no RWR alarms and when it blew my right wing off I heard and felt no impact or explosion. Just started barrel rolling towards the ground.

My unscientific observation is that in other aircraft I get more ‘feedback’ when I am being shot down. I have also survived the odd hit in other aircraft which as far as I can tell has never happened in the Hornet because I generally just suddenly switch to F2 view and watch myself crash and burn (which is a bit jarring in VR!)

Should I expect to hear the munitions which kill me?

------------------- PC SPEC -------------------

i5-9600K @ 5GHz, EVGA GTX 1080 SC, 16GB DDR3200 RAM, Corsair H80i V2 AIO. DCS World 2.5.x on dedicated 128GB SSD. Oculus Rift CV1 or 32” 1440p Monitor, DelanClip & OpenTrack. VoiceAttack, Viacom 2.5, Virpil WarBRD Base + VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals

Thanks, I Will do! However it’s not so much that the RWR didn’t go off that bothers me. It’s more that I rarely, if ever, hear or *feel* the missile detonate immediately before beginning to crash and burn.

i5-9600K @ 5GHz, EVGA GTX 1080 SC, 16GB DDR3200 RAM, Corsair H80i V2 AIO. DCS World 2.5.x on dedicated 128GB SSD. Oculus Rift CV1 or 32” 1440p Monitor, DelanClip & OpenTrack. VoiceAttack, Viacom 2.5, Virpil WarBRD Base + VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals

I don't understand, why are you hoping to hear a supersonic missile approaching in time to dodge it?

I don't understand **feeling** either.

You have four ways:

• Avoiding threat areas entirely
  • Using your eyes
  • Paying attention to the RWR for radar only missiles
  • Using someone else's eyes/sensors

Manpads/IR you avoid by flying over their ceiling, no alarm from them. A tracking radar in CW mode indicates a launch of a radar guided missile.

I think it sounds like the former is finding you. Study the threat capabilities and it will become less of a mystery.

Thanks, I Will do! However it’s not so much that the RWR didn’t go off that bothers me. It’s more that I rarely, if ever, hear or *feel* the missile detonate immediately before beginning to crash and burn.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

No, I don’t expect to dodge the missile based on the sound of it coming for me! I am just saying that in other aircraft I generally hear the missile detonate and feel the aircraft move as a result before I start to lose control, or get switched to F2 view. Maybe it’s just me.

Thanks for your advice though, it’s all good.

So no sound of impact and F2 view means your avatar (pilot) died from the impact/explosion of the supersonic missile.

Otherwise you'd of been able to jump in your seat from the impact noise/motion and then twiddle the stick, realize its hopeless, and elect to eject like you're use to. :D

Edited by aileron

I just flew the F/A-18 Interdiction mission and got shot down by an SA-3, I had no RWR alarms and when it blew my right wing off I heard and felt no impact or explosion. Just started barrel rolling towards the ground.

For practice in that mission, use the F10 map and let the Cap and SEAD flight do their job.

Hold back and orbit over the sea and watch on the F10 map.

Also have the RWR up on one of the DDI's so you know the sam sites are not operational.

Then do your mission.

Always keep an eye out.;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=188137&d=1529649760

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Thanks for the advice, went back to the mission and waited it out for the SEAD to do their job. Worked a treat.

Make sure your rwr is on, the power button is below the middle screen

Yep, this helped enormously. Hadn’t realised that the RWR needed to be turned on...:thumbup: