How it Works: Mi-8 Fire Protection System

I was going to write a long post about this, but I already have presentations in PowerPoint that I wrote a few years ago, so I just converted it to a PDF and I'll attach it here. It may be more information than most of you are interested in, but I think that anyone interested in how this system works will find it useful.

Note that the presentation was created with the specific aircraft that I work with in mind, but for all practical purposes, the Mi-8MTV-2 in DCS is identical to the Mi-8MTV-1 as mentioned in the PDF (the "-2" is just an armed version of the "-1" after all).

Mi-8 Fire Detection and Protection System.pdf

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much, i would like to see more of your work if you would like to share it. :thumbup:

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

I was going to write a long post about this, but I already have presentations in PowerPoint that I wrote a few years ago, so I just converted it to a PDF and I'll attach it here. It may be more information than most of you are interested in, but I think that anyone interested in how this system works will find it useful.

Note that the presentation was created with the specific aircraft that I work with in mind, but for all practical purposes, the Mi-8MTV-2 in DCS is identical to the Mi-8MTV-1 as mentioned in the PDF (the "-2" is just an armed version of the "-1" after all).

Outstanding! Thank you!

"It may be more information than most of you are interested in"- that might be true, but at least for me this kind of stuff adds so much to the whole experience and immersion. True, most of it is not relevant in DCS, but it makes it all so much more "real" ... to know what is going on behind the scenes, behind the panels ... :thumbup:

Thank you!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Thank you very much for providing this guide, really appriciated. If you have any more of those, definatelly don't hold back posting them on here. :thumbup:

Is fire suppression then completely automatic? In what situation would I need to manually suppress a fire?

I guess you could call it partially automated. The first bottle will be fired upon receiving the fire warning.

The second bottle has to be fired manually, in case the first bottle (and probably also additional methods like cutting of fuel) doesn't put out the fire.

I guess the 4 buttons to fire the primary bottle serve as a backup (i.e. If it isn't fired automatically (not sure how far thats possible though)) and they might possibly also be used in a case where there could be the signs for a fire in a specific apartment (smoke?), without the fire warning having been trighered yet.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

I guess the 4 buttons to fire the primary bottle serve as a backup (i.e. If it isn't fired automatically (not sure how far thats possible though)) and they might possibly also be used in a case where there could be the signs for a fire in a specific apartment (smoke?), without the fire warning having been trighered yet.

Like you said, if the system is working, it will fire off the first bottle automatically. You could fire it off manually if you know there is a fire but for some reason the bottle didn't go off, but the primary use of the 4 main bottle buttons is to test the system. For example, there is a test where you disconnect the squibs from the fire bottles and connect the squibs to a multimeter, then push the buttons and make sure you get voltage to the squibs.

Alpha you did a fantastic job on this documentation. I hope you can continue to do this for other sub systems in this bird. IE Weapons system, Radio and or nav systems etc. Great Reference!!!

I appreciate the confidence, but keep in mind that I did this documentation as part of my real life my job to help train new mechanics. I have no access to to weapon system documentation, and where I work, we only use American radios (ARC-210, Bendix King, etc.) and nav systems (Garmin GPS and Universal FMS).

Wow, I'm impressed Alpha! :surprise: Good job!

EDIT: Finally I understand the complex workings of the Fire Ext system in the Mi-8

Edited by Vectury

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-- i7 4790K

-- Club 3D R9 290X Royal Ace SOC

-- Asus Maximus VII Ranger

-- G.Skill Trident X 16GB DDR3-2400 CL10

-- Gelid Tranquillo rev.2

-- Corsair RM850

-- Corsair 760T White

-- Windows 10

Wow, very impressive!

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

Like you said, if the system is working, it will fire off the first bottle automatically. You could fire it off manually if you know there is a fire but for some reason the bottle didn't go off, but the primary use of the 4 main bottle buttons is to test the system. For example, there is a test where you disconnect the squibs from the fire bottles and connect the squibs to a multimeter, then push the buttons and make sure you get voltage to the squibs.

I appreciate the confidence, but keep in mind that I did this documentation as part of my real life my job to help train new mechanics. I have no access to to weapon system documentation, and where I work, we only use American radios (ARC-210, Bendix King, etc.) and nav systems (Garmin GPS and Universal FMS).

Thanks again! I think this systems needs tutorials

Fuel System!!! :music_whistling:

Electrical System

and Maybe Hydraulic

A.K.A. Timon -117th- in game

So where's your systems & texture mod to support the ARC-210 version 4 in our Hip?

I'm waiting patiently...

:bounce:

It may be more information than most of you are interested in, but I think that anyone interested in how this system works will find it useful.

Guilty on all accounts. :D

I guess I won't be able to memorize all that information, but it's a great overview, thx a lot for sharing!

Sadly Doppler probably needs adding to that list!

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

• 2 years later...
That's pretty high praise, thanks!

It's because the manual has bit's which are in Russian and then English, it's making it hard for me to fully understand what their telling me to do.

You crunched it out in a few bullet points and essentials.

I'm using the English cockpit, so that's causing me a little confusion too.

I got some other questions regarding the fire system.

1. If the fire system uses the main bottle of extinguisher, and I need to use the secondary. I take it, I can't extinguish any more fires, as I've used all water in the bottles?

2. twice now, one of my engines got hit and the fire system did not extinguish the fire. Eventually the helicopter blow up.

If this happens, where the 2 bottles get used and the fire continues. Should I just get the chopper on the deck and evac?

Again thanks for sharing your knowledge dude :)