DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone

Ciribob

No problem.

I'll check into simulating radio effects at longer ranges, I might be able to find some existing research on it :)

Thanks GGTharos, thats amazingly helpful!!

I'll look at getting this in for the next update then. I was thinking of a piecewise function as well but wasn't sure it would be worth it as you say as the shallow slope will basically be undetectable until the near the end. I'll have a mess around when I'm back.

Is there a calculation that would give voice quality vs noise (something like Friis) for RL radio transmissions? Had a look around but nothing obvious as I guess its hardware dependant?

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I was thinking... and that rarely ends up well :)

How cool would be if SR could play TopGun theme and similar music on specific channel :D

You might be on to something! :lol:

People have been trying to duplicate Radio Maykop ever since it was removed from BS1. While it's pretty easy in single player, adding music to multiplayer means a long download time for the mission, synchronization problems when somebody arrives "late" to a mission, and the fact that you're always listening to the same thing.

Here's the thing: SRS doesn't need to incorporate a media player; SRS needs only to allow a line input with a persistent stream. A client could then use a program like Virtual Soundcard and output the media player to that device. Let SRS pick up the VSC feed and broadcast it on the selected frequency!

The big considerations are bandwidth and interference (e.g. spamming Rick Astley on the red coordination channel during a PvP). While it would be best for a client to broadcast the station, the server could restrict the frequency range, sampling rate, and total throughput of all radio stations. Since we're talking about 1Mb per minute of MP3 audio (assuming 128k), having a couple of clients with good upload speeds hosting a small range of stations sounds feasible.

It seems like adding the feature, along with a yes/no server side option would be fairly straightforward. The trick would be implementing server and client side bandwidth controls, as well as a voice client-selective option to only receive radio bandwidth when tuned to the frequency.

The idea has potential! :thumbup:

You could almost do this already, if you could set the frequency for a connected client (on the host machine) not being in an aircraft. Set the input to a 'What you hear' or 'Audio Mix' input (if available), connect and force a PTT with autohotkey/freepie or whatever and simply play/stream some music.

-

If man were meant to fly he'd be filled with helium.

That method could also be used to provide broadcast-control, where a fighter controller broadcasts air picture, and airborne fighters use said picture to build their own gameplan.

Or spoofing. Though not feasible until all participants are skilled enough, otherwise it just ruins the whole session.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

SR client keeps crashing as soon as I press "connect"

Yesterday it was 100% stable and I also heard in game one person said that their SR kept crashing too.

But i fixed it somehow, i opened sr-server.exe, pressed the stop server and everything is back to normal.

Hi Ciribob.

I´ve a question for you.

Is normal to hear interferences in this situation?:

A flight of several fighters all connected in the same VHF-UHF-FM frequencies, for example 127.000/251.000/31.000.

When i´m listening for example in VHF to talk internally with my leader and another one is talking in UHF at the same time i hear interferences and noise.

Isn´t supossed that only the interferences must be present when two are talking at the same time in the same frequency of the same radio? Not in different ones?

I think that i can talk in VHF or UHF with my flight but at the same time hear clear in FM for example another flight in the same FM frequency.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

I had the opportunity to run that nice Piece of Software yesterday while flying with my friends and I´ve got to say that I´ve been blown away by its potential. I really wonder why the Devs havent implemented such a Feature by default, I assume it´s because they still are focusing rather on Singleplayer than on Multiplayer, well they might have their reasons. But fortunately there are guys like you around who take care about those things.

It´s a real great Job that you´ve done there, thanks for all the efforts.

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

No problem.

I'll check into simulating radio effects at longer ranges, I might be able to find some existing research on it :)

Thanks! :)

You could almost do this already, if you could set the frequency for a connected client (on the host machine) not being in an aircraft. Set the input to a 'What you hear' or 'Audio Mix' input (if available), connect and force a PTT with autohotkey/freepie or whatever and simply play/stream some music.

You can actually completely do this now how you describe, as long as you have a dedicated server or at least dont use the radio on the server host :)

1. Install SRS on your server host
  2. Install something like Virtual Audio Cable (http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Cable/ - Donation Ware)
  3. Start up your SRS Server - Make sure Secure Coalition Radios is OFF and Spectator Audio is Enabled. If you don't only one side or the other will be able to hear the radio depending on the slot you put the server host in.
  4. Start up dedicated DCS Server - Setup Mission and launch
  5. Start up SRS Client and select the audio input as the Virtual Audio Cable
  6. Tune SRS Client to the frequency you want to transmit on
  7. Select Radio and Force PTT with autohotkey
  8. Set Virtual Audio cable as the default output device (or a good media player that lets you pick speakers)
  9. Play music from youtube, stream internet radio, stream from LiveATC .... What ever :)

Bandwidth isn't a concern as thats handled by SRS but be warned, with a sample rate of 16,000hz and some radio effects on the audio, music won't sound great!

SR client keeps crashing as soon as I press "connect"

Yesterday it was 100% stable and I also heard in game one person said that their SR kept crashing too.

But i fixed it somehow, i opened sr-server.exe, pressed the stop server and everything is back to normal.

Glad its fixed :) Please post logs and windows crash logs from windows event viewer if it happens again.

Hi Ciribob.

I´ve a question for you.

Is normal to hear interferences in this situation?:

A flight of several fighters all connected in the same VHF-UHF-FM frequencies, for example 127.000/251.000/31.000.

When i´m listening for example in VHF to talk internally with my leader and another one is talking in UHF at the same time i hear interferences and noise.

Isn´t supossed that only the interferences must be present when two are talking at the same time in the same frequency of the same radio? Not in different ones?

I think that i can talk in VHF or UHF with my flight but at the same time hear clear in FM for example another flight in the same FM frequency.

If you get a recording I can tell you but its likely a mixing issue as mixing low quality samples can sound pretty awful. Do you have all 3 radios set to different speakers (left, right & left+right)?

A test you can try is get someone to transmit on one radio (left ear), then someone on another (right ear) - it should sound OK. Then get someone to transmit on the 3rd radio with both. Will probably sound awful and if it does its audio mixing which is tricky to solve.

I had the opportunity to run that nice Piece of Software yesterday while flying with my friends and I´ve got to say that I´ve been blown away by its potential. I really wonder why the Devs havent implemented such a Feature by default, I assume it´s because they still are focusing rather on Singleplayer than on Multiplayer, well they might have their reasons. But fortunately there are guys like you around who take care about those things.

It´s a real great Job that you´ve done there, thanks for all the efforts.

No worries, glad it worked OK! Please let me know if you find any issues :)

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

In our squad we have separate channels for radio 1-2-3. ( left-both-right ) . And i was hearing my wingman from radio one left and at the same time at my leader from radio 2 both and i hear noise and interferences.

I will test that more in deep to check if is a problem with the channels.

Thanks.

PD: Rereading your post if i use a radio in both mode at the same time with another in left or right i will hear noise even in different bands and frequencies? Is the normal behaviour?. Is this the audio mixing problem you have mention?

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

In our squad we have separate channels for radio 1-2-3. ( left-both-right ) . And i was hearing my wingman from radio one left and at the same time at my leader from radio 2 both and i hear noise and interferences.

I will test that more in deep to check if is a problem with the channels.

Thanks.

PD: Rereading your post if i use a radio in both mode at the same time with another in left or right i will hear noise even in different bands and frequencies? Is the normal behaviour?. Is this the audio mixing problem you have mention?

If you get a recording I can tell you but without hearing it I won't be able to diagnose, sorry :)

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Thanks Ciribob, i will try to record it and send you an example.

Really appreciate your kind help.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This was apparent on Sunday night with us mission net was 251 Uniform and internal was 31. FM there was definite interference when both freqs where in use at the same time.

On the positive side we had 25 members joined for the Battalion mission and using FM for internals for the 5 Companies plus medevac choppers and an F5 CAS the comms where flawless. I can't even imagine trying to accomplish the same with Teamspeak.

So have a few virtual bevies on the 229th bar tab because your program was the difference between 2 and a half hours of chopper bliss and an almighty SNAFU:drink::drunk:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2916753&postcount=180

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ciribob and GGTharos, are you guys looking for a Signal to Noise ratio formulae or something? The larger distance between radios get, the lower the signal to noise ratio becomes, e.g. the normal static will be heard more profound as distance increases and approaches receiver sensitivity.

Even in LOS conditions, there comes a moment where the radiowaves from the transmitter do not come above the noise ceiling in the receiver. It'll receive just fine but is unable to get the signal from out of the white noise. This means the human is hearing static only as the receiver is sensitive enough to notice the signal, you can't make heads or tails of it.

Does it make sense or even help?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

I'm sure any SnR equation would be part of this, but the question is - at which point do you start losing quality?

And that probably depends on the individual radar set and other factors - does the radio normalize the volume, for example? How does it filter out noise, if at all? Etc.

Though you're probably right, all of this will likely just be a simple implementation on top of an SnR graph :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Small Update

Hoping to have a new release out tonight with quite a few new additions:

• Awacs / GCI / ATC Panel with up to 10 radios - 8 UHF / VHF + 2 FM - This panel can only be used when in spectator or a non aircraft slot.
  • Reworked HotKeys implementation. Key binds now have priority so the most matching one is picked.
  • AWACS panel gains a "Sat phone" panel (Intercom Hotkey) where you pick a channel from 0 -100 and can talk to any other awacs on that channel
  • Improved Stereo Mixing
  • Improved Distance Fade Logic - will fade over the last 10% of transmission distance but you'll only really hear it at 5% or less
  • Added optional Auto Focus return to DCS. If the overlay window is active and then the mouse moved off the window, focus to DCS will be returned within a second
  • Version check when connecting to server to stop mismatched versions

Not sure whether it'll be a testing release or not, depends on time tonight :)

I'm sure any SnR equation would be part of this, but the question is - at which point do you start losing quality?

And that probably depends on the individual radar set and other factors - does the radio normalize the volume, for example? How does it filter out noise, if at all? Etc.

Though you're probably right, all of this will likely just be a simple implementation on top of an SnR graph :)

So, we have the Friis equation:

QX2e8ks.jpg

An signal to noise

TUxpYIK.jpg

I am by no means a mathematician, but looking at both formulaes, I'd say that both carry the power of the signal in one way or the other. Perhaps we can work out a SNR that incorporates more nose to the signal the further away you are?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

@Ciribob, thank you!

One small wish:

Please add "Server is running SR version: XX.YY.ZZ" to the Server-Info when clicking on that button on the client-connect-screen. Otherwise a client can't figure out what version of SR is running on the server (when you can't ask the server-admin).

Ah should've made that clearer. That was my plan tonight as part of the version check as it'll be available client side so it will just be another field on the server setting screen :)

Small Update

Hoping to have a new release out tonight with quite a few new additions:

:)

Hi Ciribob, just found a reference to this on a MP server and I'm very interested.

But I cannot possibly go through 50 odd pages to get the complete picture.

Do you plan to post this tool on the "Downloads" section?

I hope you do!:smilewink:

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Hi Ciribob, just found a reference to this on a MP server and I'm very interested.

But I cannot possibly go through 50 odd pages to get the complete picture.

Do you plan to post this tool on the "Downloads" section?

I hope you do!:smilewink:

Its all in the first post at the start of the thread - Download links there :)