F-86F Hunters over the Yalu Campaign info

" It’s early 1953. After completing several tours in WWII, you’re yet again putting your neck on the line by flying dangerous combat missions over North Korea. Command the 67th Fighter Bomber Squadron, attack enemy bridges, factories, strafe supply columns, and support the US troops as they fight their fierce battles on the ground. Survive the heavy flak and fighter attacks, then transfer to the legendary 39th Fighter Interceptor Squadron to carry out large fighter sweeps in MIG Alley over the Yalu river, and tangle with massive bandit trains in the stratosphere. Watch out for the honchos, they say Casey Jones is back in business!"

1.jpg.d39488095b8d2571eb16b50f368d43dc.jpg

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your interest in Hunters over the Yalu, my new campaign for the F-86F Sabre. This is a sequel to my “Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney” campaign, although you can start with this one straight away if you like. In the background story pdf you will find more details about your character and what happened to him after WWII. Although the Korean war is under represented in DCS, we have a limited planeset and no map of Korea, I just love the F-86 Sabre too much. I’ve been toying with the idea of creating an immersive single player campaign for this module, thinking about how to make it interesting despite the limitations. I think I finally managed to achieve this goal. On one hand, I split the campaign into 2 parts: at the beginning you’ll command the 67th Fighter Bomber Squadron carrying out a variety of ground attacks, then you’ll transfer to the 39th Fighter Interceptor Squadron to fly some massive fighter sweeps in MIG Alley. On the other hand I focused on the personal side of the story with hundreds of voiceovers, radio broadcasts, unexpected events and other Easter eggs. I firmly believe that while playing this campaign you’ll be able to forget about flying over the Caucasus, and will feel like a part of a Sabre squadron in the spring of 1953

GO TO THE WEBSHOP

2.jpg.818f18a47ebee74141290fb4d0c306d7.jpg

CONTENT

These missions come with a lot of extra content to them as immersive as possible. There are hundreds of custom radio messages especially recorded for these missions, as well as a number of historically accurate custom skins. On top of this, there are some hidden Easter eggs, such as original radio broadcasts from 1953, or unexpected events happening during the missions.

3.jpg.a868b2789b97dfc4f49e1dcbc01da36c.jpg

Each mission has two standard briefing images. One is a mission briefing form with all the details of the mission, the other one is a map with headings and distances. Where applicable, there are further briefing images such as aerial recon photos of the target area.

b1.jpg.5ef1739a329662eb8398021cd1adbdb8.jpg     b2.jpg.fadbd5f294442cf1bfaed533e7177c9a.jpg

This content is also available on your kneeboard: there is a page with the aforementioned map complete with headings and distances and the most important mission details underneath. My recommendation is that you try to use this to find your way rather than peeking at the F10 map that’s full of spoilers. Also on the kneeboard, you will find four pages of checklists and procedures. Try to follow them, and operate your F-86 Sabre like those young men did back in 1953.

k1.jpg.a8e52794a272adc79b55483919c02651.jpg   k2.jpg.9cf9459b2dafbcfb53e0709de20bc814.jpg

Also, in the documentation folder you can find a few pages of background story of your character. While it is not necessary to read it before playing the campaign, it can make the story a lot more personal, and the campaign more enjoyable. It also links the story of the “Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney” campaign to this one. I wholeheartedly recommend you read it before you start mission one.

GAMEPLAY

These are no “Hollywood” style missions. No need to shoot down x number of enemy planes or destroy pre-defined targets to progress. Just like in real life, it will suffice to survive the mission and live to fight another day. Therefore, there is a timer set for each sortie, and after 10 minutes airborne they will be successfully completed.

4.jpg.a8685ab50a5632895daedb87cc2b994a.jpg

Throughout the campaign you will fly as the leader of the formation. Sometimes there will only be 2 flights of 4, in other missions you will be leading 24 planes. You can give commands to the other flight(s) via the F10 radio menu, while the standard radio procedure applies when it comes to instructing your own flight. If you don't instruct the other flights via the F10 menu, they will just follow you around waiting for your orders. Make sure you follow the briefing details and give sufficient time for the other flights to take off and form up. You can of course head towards the target sooner than briefed, but you will risk going into battle with most of your formation lagging behind. I can’t recommend enough to read the entire briefing before taking off. Also, a good advice is to fly at 80% RPM to make sure the squadron can keep up with you.

I hope you'll like Hunters over the Yalu as much as my WWII capaigns. I'm really looking forward to hearing your feedback, your experience, stories of your victories, seeing your wonderful screenshots or playthrough videos. Good luck, and good hunting!

5.jpg.bbac5fe8ceda0c2924a7596248559b48.jpg

CREDITS:

SKINS: F-86 skins by Reflected, MIG-15 Kramarenko skin by Grizzly Vzla, P-51 skins by CH_SubZero

VOICE ACTING: Datek, Fishnuts, Apache600, DarkFire, Habu_69, epolta, MADLOU1 and Reflected

Screenshots by Eight Ball

Video by Dominik Keller

Edited by Reflected
  • Like 1

First Class Sir.......As always thumbup.gif......Seasons Greetings BTW

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

An important note: this campaign requires the WWII Asset Pack. I notified ED to correct it in the webshop. I was thinking about not using the WWII assets, but they are basically the same technology as what was used in Korea. I didn't want to send you guys up against radar guided laser guns, it feels much more natural this way.

An important note: this campaign requires the WWII Asset Pack. I notified ED to correct it in the webshop. I was thinking about not using the WWII assets, but they are basically the same technology as what was used in Korea. I didn't want to send you guys up against radar guided laser guns, it feels much more natural this way.

Thanks glad you did.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reflected, if me and a squad mate both buy the campaign can we play it together? Or is it locked for single player? Would be cool to experience this with a friend. Also your trailer is fantastic, it gets you pump up. Thanks for the hard work.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The trailer was made by Col.Boob, he’s a real pro at video making. I love it too :)

The campaign is fundamentally single player, but I suppose if you open the missions in ME, change the player slot to client, then choose another sabre to set to client, it should work in coop mode. Please note that all triggers depend on the player’s aircraft, so omce he’s shot down, things won’t happen the way they should for the 2nd client.

The trailer was made by Col.Boob, he’s a real pro at video making. I love it too :)

The campaign is fundamentally single player, but I suppose if you open the missions in ME, change the player slot to client, then choose another sabre to set to client, it should work in coop mode. Please note that all triggers depend on the player’s aircraft, so omce he’s shot down, things won’t happen the way they should for the 2nd client.

Thanks for the reply. I will tell him to buy also and we will try the two coop. It is going to be great experience this with a live wingman.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Will there be a release that is compatible with Steam?

Yes, as soon as ED decides to do so. It's not under my control, but I think it will happen soon.

Everyone, please note that currently something is not working properly with the installer, and the custom skins get installed in the mods/campaigns folder, instead of the bazar/liveries one. Therefore, the missions are ignoring them, and use the default skin instead. You can either wait until the next update, or manually copy paste the skins to the appropriate folders. Sorry about this.

The "restart" button for the campaign start page is not working. I literally played about 2 minutes (ie. the first breifing in the cockpit - I never even began the start sequence) before I had to quit out for Christmas duties. When I came back it had failed me in the campaign (which seems odd) and won't restart it. Is this a common bug and how do I get to restart the campaign? I hope I won't have to replay all the missions again when I have to quit out of a session half way through.

Hi MrShooty,

When you exit a mission make sure you don't press the "end mission" button on the debriefing screen, but "Exit" or "Cancel" or whatever it's called, I don't have it in front of me. It will prompt you with a warning that say you'll lose your progress. That's the one you're looking for.

As for restarting the whole campaign, there is a "Restart" button in the middle of the bottom of the screen in the campaign main menu.

I hope this works, and good luck!

Thanks, Reflected.

The Restart button was just not working. HOwever, after a couple of DCS restarts it did get going again so I guess it was a DCS quirk and not to do with the campaign.

I played the first mission last night. It's beginning extremely well and is certainly capturing what I imagine to be the flavour of Korea in the 1950s. I have very high hopes.

Hey Reflected,

I have given a try at the first mission, it's pretty good so far! I like the documentation and the background that you took the pain to build around the campaign.

Small detail: I have noticed that the "CONFIDENTIAL" document specifies a QNH = 29.57 (I assume it's inHg), both in the PDF and the briefing panel picture. But the mission panel indicates that the QNH is actually 29.92 inHg in that region.

I think you meant QFE = 29.57 inHg - that, or the mission editor didn't save the assigned pressure in the mission file.

And here's a question, should we only use the F10 commands to give orders, or can we alternatively use the usual flight commands?

UPDATE: posted this problem report, has anyone else noticed the same behaviour with AI flight model? I suppose it's a well-known issue.

Edited by Redglyph

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Hey,

The in game mission panel is off at times, if you set the altimeter to 29.57, it will show the elevation of Batumi, that is, 33 feet. QFE is the pressure at which your altimeter shows 0 on the ground. It's not easy with dynamic weather, where pressure and wind changes as you move on the map, but I'm pretty sure of the QNH values given in the briefing picture, and I double checked in the mission just now :)

You can give orders to your own flight (red) via the stock radio menu. The F10 menu is only used to give orders to the remaining flights, blue and if there are three, yellow too. Your own flight won't react to commands given this way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi reflected, do you have any news from ED of when is the campaing going to be available on Steam? I really looking forward to play this campaing, even bought the WWII assets packs for it. and it´s been almost a month since the release and no news on the steam page....

Thanks!

M2000 | Mig-21 | Mig-15 | F-14 | UH-1H HUEY | A-10C II | MB-339A | A-4E-C | F-18 | F-86 | KA-50 | F-16 |AH-64D| NTTR | PG |

AMD RYZEN 5 2400G 3.9GHz + RX 580 8GB OC + 32Gb + 1TB SSD

Pinola, thanks for the support. Unfortunately I have zero overview of this. It usually shouldn't take very long, but given that we haven't had a patch for over a month, this may affect the steam release too. I'm just guessing, though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it gets released soon.

• 4 weeks later...