Lased targets

CptTangerine

Hi

I have recently come back to the Gazelle, after more or less giving up on it due to it's very squirrelly flight model, and I'm running through the campaign.

I notice that in most missions, targets will be lased by a drone. This was very useful when I was playing Harrier missions as it has a laser receiver in the nose but I can't see what use this is in the Gazelle as it does not, as far as I can see, have any sort of laser detection kit.

Am I wrong, or am I missing the point?

Any pointers gratefully received.

Cheers!

CptT

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 3.3GHz, RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1600MHz DDR3, GFX: EVGA GTX 1080, OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, Joy: TM Warthog, Peds: CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR3, VR: Vive

If you can get the coordinates from the drone, you can enter them into the NADIR to create a Waypoint.

That's what I always do.

That way I know the (exact) range and direction to the target.

Very useful

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian

If you can get the coordinates from the drone, you can enter them into the NADIR to create a Waypoint.

That's what I always do.

That way I know the (exact) range and direction to the target.

Very useful

Bingo!

Always punch coordinates for your target, if available.

Having direction helps you plan your approach and cover. Having range tells you if you will be able to fire from the hill in front of you, or if you'll have to pick another.

Yes on all points.

I'd assume that IRL at least the predator/jtac would lase with the "marker" IR visible laser (visible to NVG). The lasers the harrier and the other aircraft can see are further into the IR and not visible with NVG's. And yes NADIR and actual coordinates are godsend for any sort of mission. You basically get a bearing and range you should be looking at. Doubly important if there are ADA assets in the area so you don't get too close.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).