Leap Motion in DCS?

So this cheap little device has been out for some time now and it seems like they are improving it with their new Orion software but did anyone actually tried to use it in DCS cockpits?

The need is actually pretty simple as it just requires to drive the mouse pointer on a given switch in the cockpit and recognize when you click it (left click) or when you turn it (mouse wheel). But I don't know if this behavior is implemented by Leap Motion or even if this possibly works in a DCS cockpit?

Any idea? This would be an ideal complement to Occulus.

I have one, but haven't even taken it out of the box in over a year. When I got it, it was definitely not ready for prime time.

I suspect it still isn't accurate enough for DCS.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I tried Leap Motion with DCS. Unfortunately it is slow and inaccuarate. I didnt know about Orion until now. I will give it a try soon.

Flying with Oculus Rift DK2 was amazing. CV1 will be even better.

Should Leap Motion or a similar device work properly, we will hit the bottom of VR flight sim. Never liked using mouse in cockpit because I am right handed and never wanna stop holding the stick. Even tried to train my left hand for mouse for that but no joy.

It is painful to be ahead of the technology.

When TFX came out, like 1992, I had the same problem....right handed, joystick right hand too, typing also...heck.....only 1 right hand to do all that.

Well, ever since I use my mouse left handed, actually can do both, but left mouse is handy, very handy...u can write with a pen and still grab da mouse ;)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

A trackball in the left hand I find much easier.

Oooh! Why haven't I thought of that! Will try...

---

Back on topic. I am really curious to hear how the newest iteration of Leap Motion does work with DCS. I remember reading in the forums that ED is looking into appropriate input devices for flying in VR.

The future is NOW!

Kirin out

• 1 month later...
The leep with Orion software is pretty darn good. Have it mounted on my Rift and testing using UE4. I think it's time for another look.

please can you keep us informed as i would love to use this with the cv1 if it works ;)

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

So this cheap little device has been out for some time now and it seems like they are improving it with their new Orion software but did anyone actually tried to use it in DCS cockpits?

The need is actually pretty simple as it just requires to drive the mouse pointer on a given switch in the cockpit and recognize when you click it (left click) or when you turn it (mouse wheel). But I don't know if this behavior is implemented by Leap Motion or even if this possibly works in a DCS cockpit?

Any idea? This would be an ideal complement to Occulus.

That would be the thing for the VR goggles, as you can't really see outside what you are doing, and flipping the switches, pressing buttons would be nicer with own hand than with any other device.

But for those who doesn't own VR goggles, I would consider this is better:

[ame]

[/ame]
${1}

And I would take that implemented to VR goggles as the next generation VR goggles (Rift Mk II and Vive Mk II) as then it really would be far nicer to use VR goggles as well.

Think about it, sitting in cockpit and looking a button/switch and then just pressing a button in HOTAS as left mouse button.

Sure it would not be as immersive as the Leap Motion as it requires you to be more realistic and move your hands. What is interesting as it would really make the high G force and other maneuvers such that you can't take your hands off from HOTAS while doing so.

Okay.... I just checked on this second the prices for Leap Motion, and I was shocked! Only a 24€ with a shipping!

When that thing came out year or two back, it was about 100-150€!

So instant order! Especially when now people have mentioned that Orion thing!

Now it takes about 1-2 weeks to ship.... the time of waiting :-P

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 3 months later...

Have my CV1 already, awaiting delivery of my Leap. I'll let you know folks.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

anybd share some feedback. Seriously considering it

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I don't think it very practical. What we need is trackable gloves so we can press buttons with both hands as well as operating throttle and joystick. Several companies are developing them and with some you can technically do away with a physical joystick entirely!

==============================================================================================================================

56sqn US@R

Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 16Gb RAM, Intel Core i3/i5/i7 6xxx @ 2700 MHz

I don't think it very practical. What we need is trackable gloves so we can press buttons with both hands as well as operating throttle and joystick. Several companies are developing them and with some you can technically do away with a physical joystick entirely!

Why would you do that?

Why would you do that?

Well I am not sure you would *want* to do that but if the glove is following your hand position and orientation and finger positions then technically there is no need for there to actually be a physical object in your hand. I have seen demos of people flying using just two loosely clenched fists for throttle & stick and finger movements to fire guns, drop flares etc. plus also reach up to flip overhead switches. Even using physical stick & throttle, the ability to reach over to click a switch or turn a dial excites me :-)

==============================================================================================================================

56sqn US@R

Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 16Gb RAM, Intel Core i3/i5/i7 6xxx @ 2700 MHz

Well I am not sure you would *want* to do that but if the glove is following your hand position and orientation and finger positions then technically there is no need for there to actually be a physical object in your hand. I have seen demos of people flying using just two loosely clenched fists for throttle & stick and finger movements to fire guns, drop flares etc. plus also reach up to flip overhead switches. Even using physical stick & throttle, the ability to reach over to click a switch or turn a dial excites me :-)

Yes we can do the virtual HOTAS, but is very user unfriendly and ergonomic catastrophe.

It goes exactly to the same category like the idea that cars should have a joystick instead a steering wheel.

Sounds nice etc, but quickly everyone using those would notice that slight movement in stick would cause more accidents than anything else. And then comes the thing that holding a stick is tiring. Why aircrafts has a trim and hand rests.

Like think about flying Mig-29A without a trim.... :D

But the best part would be.... We could get any stick to be our "virtual joystick" with the motion detection for hands. We just don't get the buttons and even virtual buttons are not same thing at all as tactile physical buttons we can feel.

But the market is not in the simulators but in FPS games like Battlefield where in multiplayer you might jump in a aircraft for 1-5 minutes and all you need to do is to trigger firing. Now do that without mouse and keyboard and joystick, amazing!

But with the Leap Motion, I want to mount it front of the throttle and then just slightly move hand forward and lift finger as mouse cursor and get the mouse cursor on screen move at center. So I would roughly get the wanted button/switch/dial in center of the view with TrackIR, and then use finger to move cursor 1/3 of the screen area at the center to do the pointing and use a physical button in stick to emulate mouse button press. So finger would be just for aiming accurately, TrackIR to get mouse to ballpark and physical button as click.

That is what I want.

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 7 months later...

The problem with gloves and virtual devices, is the lack of a real tactile feedback.

Even with force feedback gloves, it could work for switches or buttons, but you can never really have the feeling of a real stick in hand.

But yes that would be great to have DCS handles leap motion. This is on DCS side to really have a good driver for it.

For instance, for FSX or x-plane, there is fly inside, a software that handles both the VR for those sims that do not handle VR, and fly inside, which is invaluable especially if you fly in VR switches intensive planes like those big airliners.

So, please ED, that would be great to handle leap motion the good way. I would be glad to buy leap motion if I would learn it is handled well in DCS World.

Oh btw I have noticed if we had put the vive controller on, there is a big hand in the cockpit, but the hand is not useable. That would be great this hand could be useable... so we could strap the controllers on our hands and use them in the cockpit.

Thanks

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

I have been using the leapmotion with FSX w my Vive. (Not that I am flying a lot of FSX these days) It works fine depending on the air craft. The lack of tactile feed back is no more an issue to me than the fact that when I pull back on the stick I dont feel gees. When your finger gets near an actionable switch you see switch icon indicate if it a rotary for instance and you twirl your fingers and the control moves.It is a technology that is definitely heading in the right direction. No expensive gloves needed. I haven't tried to get it to work with DCS, assuming its not implemented yet.(Plus I have actual cockpit that I use for many functions in vr)

I have leap motion and was able to get it to work a couple time in x-plane 11. But it wasn’t there every time for me but then I had trouble with flyinside also.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Haven't manage to get it to work with DCS to a reasonable level thus far, Orion or not. Native support would be glorious though as accuracy might be potentially good enough for DCS use.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

• 1 month later...

With so many now flying in VR, if anyone from DCS is reading this, then your next step in development really needs to start considering the introduction of Native Leap Motion for switches, and the Gloves currently being developed. Or for someone out there to develop the code and sell it to users of DCS.

After using Leap Motion in FlyInside with FSX, XP and P3D, it completely changes the realism immersion just like VR did. Some may say it is inaccurate, but I have found it to be excellent and very accurate (after some tweaking), and it does feel like your really flicking switches and pushing buttons. Using your own fingers to pushes button and switches allows you to know your aircraft and physically undertaking the normal steps you would if your were in the actual aircraft. How much more real can you get than this. Trying to use a mouse to push buttons and flick switches is just so antiquated. Really it's a joke for such an advanced flight simulator that in so many other areas is real.

This development in coding to allow for Leap Motion and prepare for Gloves really is the change DCS needs to start considering seriously to make DCS keep up with future technological advances.

Edited by Ravemtech

I have a hard time believing anyone could be proficient/quick enough with Leap for it to be useful. My experience with it was of fumbling with depth and trying to get my hands in exactly the right place to peck at a button. Agonizingly slow.