f-18 radar cant locate f-14?

oscar19681

For the love of god I can never find the f-14 on the radar in the persian gulf map. Also when I locate other hostile aircraft and I select to lock them on the radar the beam go,s narrow but never locks up the enemy aircraft. I normally allways end up having to close in and lock them with one of the auto lock modes. What gives ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

you adjust radar altitude/azimuth scan?

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

For something like this it would be helpful if you posted a track of your issue so we could see where the problem is.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

Chances are the F14 and most F15's as well normally fly at very high altitudes. The F18 radar from a hot start and set to about 20K ft unless you go above 20K yourself or you adjust the altitude. Try using the + and - keys on keyboard to adjust the altitude up and try again.

Sounds like an issue with radar antenna elevation adjustment for the bandit/bogey/track.

Depending on the situation (aspect ratio and altitude) - it can be very beneficial, and sometimes a necessity, to not only adjust the radar antenna elevation - but also the bar and azimuth scan, along with switching between med/hi and interleave.

Also, switching out of LTWS can assist in holding a lock on a track - but this can be potentially dangerous if you are unsure whether the track is friendly or a hostile.

There are many facets to these kind of things, and can change from aircraft to aircraft - and even situation to situation.... Many things can be read and learned, but sometimes - it can be just as beneficial to get the hands on learning - but all learn differently.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Actually, switch LTWS off and see what the DCS F18 own radar is actually seeing,

which is abysmally little.

And I also have a dark suspicion the DCS F/A-18C radar is modelled by the devs, trying 'as how a real F/A-18C' radar would operate according to theoretical (!) 'modelling',

the DCS F18 somehow probably performs worse than the real life F/A-18C, or at least considering that in theatre, will have continuous feed from actual live human AWACS always in their headset.

And on top, puts the DCS F18 in a disadvantage to other DCS modules with simpler radar modelling, that will have 'a lock is a lock' logic.

But perhaps I'm just pissed off when I lose a lock on aircraft(s) heading full afterburner my way at 15k or worse 32k altitude, or one cannot lock at all whilst - some - red flights seem not to have that problem, not in the same way at least.

F18 High fidelity modelling being a disadvantage because of practical under-performance consequences making for a disadvantage in a PVP theatre vis-à-vis other modules, that would be sad, wouldn't that be.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Actually, switch LTWS off and see what the DCS F18 own radar is actually seeing, which is abysmally little.

I switch LTWS off quite regularly - and doesn't really seem to be any issue. When you know where a bandit is, with the assist of AWACS call with BRA (or in the game by using the F10 map and finding it yourself) - you can use the radar without LTWS and find them easily (at least I can). Personally, I think part of the problem is when folks keep the scan azimuth too wide of a sweep, thus allowing the track to fade (either by the tracked aircraft changing course or altitude - or the searching aircraft). When you know the BRA - and fine tune the radar to search in a narrower window, the radar return is more constant and less likely to lose lock. But I could be crazy, just works for me...

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

you can use the radar without LTWS and find them easily (at least I can)

Lately on a PVP server, about 10 flights staggered 35-100nm, switch LTWS off, they all disappear. This is exceptional of course, but does proves a point what sometimes can happen. And yes I climb to 16k alt to not miss anyone.

The problem becomes a nuisance when one cannot LSS if no track shows, no lock until track, you have to wait, you lose a second, that's one precious second.

Worse in ACM. You cant lock, for, I suspect, the code is busy calculating if a track can be generated, which it cannot a lot of times for one is too close and moving about too fast, and you lose very precious seconds or one depends on luck and chance to either eyeball the bandit and create a helmet lock, but that's too little too late in rather random circumstances, I'd say. Which is sad.

I switch LTWS off quite regularly - and doesn't really seem to be any issue. When you know where a bandit is, with the assist of AWACS call with BRA (or in the game by using the F10 map and finding it yourself) - you can use the radar without LTWS and find them easily (at least I can). Personally, I think part of the problem is when folks keep the scan azimuth too wide of a sweep, thus allowing the track to fade (either by the tracked aircraft changing course or altitude - or the searching aircraft). When you know the BRA - and fine tune the radar to search in a narrower window, the radar return is more constant and less likely to lose lock. But I could be crazy, just works for me...

Cheers,

Don

That’s my experience as well Don.

In all the years that I've flown DCS, from LoMac to today's OB, I've found that radar has always been poorly simulated. I suspect that it's the nature of the beast, radar being such a secretive/classified thing.

For now, work with what you've got. Buy all AWACS crews a full round of Budweiser anytime you meet them.

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...