curved 4k tv

Well, that will come at a performance cost though. 3x 4k is a lot of pixels and memory, plus 3x 4k viewports rendered separately - unless you want a lot of visual distortion.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Well, that will come at a performance cost though. 3x 4k is a lot of pixels and memory, plus 3x 4k viewports rendered separately - unless you want a lot of visual distortion.

So a 1080 p set up is much better in terms of performance

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So a 1080 p set up is much better in terms of performance

Oh for sure. But even with 3x 1080p rendered separately, dont underestimate the power required. You can already now get a small taste, and that is to set display resolution in the DCS options to 1024 every frame, and then fly with the mirrors on, in the F-14, down low in Dubai -just for worst case scenario, and see what it does to your performance. Now imagine that performance hit once more, and even more cause you are rendering 1920x1024x3 and not 1920x1024+1024x1024x2 (with the 1024x1024 and lower view distances and shit, cause mirror uses different lod distances and stuff).

Just to complicate an answer :).

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Oh for sure. But even with 3x 1080p rendered separately, dont underestimate the power required. You can already now get a small taste, and that is to set display resolution in the DCS options to 1024 every frame, and then fly with the mirrors on, in the F-14, down low in Dubai -just for worst case scenario, and see what it does to your performance. Now imagine that performance hit once more, and even more cause you are rendering 1920x1024x3 and not 1920x1024+1024x1024x2 (with the 1024x1024 and lower view distances and shit, cause mirror uses different lod distances and stuff).

Just to complicate an answer :).

Okay so whats the best three screen option or isn't there one

or would you suggest just one 4 k curved monitor

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I couldnt say honestly, is entirely up to you, if you want one or the other. Each has their advantages and disadvantages.

I used a single 1080p 40" TV with TrackIR for quite a while. That then grew to 3x 40" TV with TIR. Advantage of the triple setup was that it was very immersive, which is my target. As immersive as I can get it. The triple setup was performance costly though, and I had to run similar to VR low settings to stay above 60 fps, which for me was the TIR tracking smoothness threshold. But also for the flying down low in the mud, 30 fps or so doesnt cut it down there, or during ACM for that matter. Below 60 fps the tracking just isnt smooth, nor is the flying when you have something to measure it to. When I switched to VR some 3 years ago now, I got rid of the triple setup, and just kept one TV. VR is by far the most immersive, but its even more performance sensitive, and any kind of visual ID is almost impossible, until you are basically humping their wing.

Ive never seen DCS in 4K, but judging from those that have here on the forum, well its awesome too, but its biggest disadvantage seems to be spotting.

But thats me.

Okay so whats the best three screen option or isn't there one

or would you suggest just one 4 k curved monitor

A single 4k curved monitor is a hassle free solution. But of course, it's not the same as triple screens. Your decision.

If you go triple screen, get 4k hdr tvs. You can always run them at 1080p or 1440p, if your computer is not up to it and maybe after the some upgrades it will have enough horsepower to drive the resolution.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

• 2 weeks later...

A while ago I built a simpit for my gliding club. Having considered everything including multiple projectors, finally I went with a 50" curved 4K TV and headtracker to keep price down.

I will say this: the curvature is pointless. It really doesnt look any better than the flat TV I have at home, and being completely honest, the projection/distortion at high field of view settings, is actually worse. Why? Because all games are rendered on a to a virtual flat pane, not a curved one. To get distortion free curved projection, you would actually need some expensive third party warping software.

So my advice on curved: dont bother.

As for triple screens; i have triple 28" on my desk. And I do not recommend that either. System requirements for running 3 screens, even just at HD resolution are insane. More over, triple wide screen introduces other problems, again with projection. The only way for that to make sense is to have your virtual FoV being the same as the physical one. Thats not undoable, but it does require you either put your screens REALLY close to you and the side monitors, literally, to your left and right. Or you need 3 gigantic screens so you can comfortably sit in the middle. Anything else, again looks weird and distorted.

Finally, when flying, horizontal field of view is not all that important. Vertical is at least as important, you want to look up in a turn. Triple monitor doesnt help here. It may even make it worse, as you are inclined to fly zoomed in more.

So my advice is again: dont bother with triple screen either. Either go for VR (pimax if you can manage and afford the GPU for), or use a single large monitor (larger IS better) and a head tracker.

Edited by Vertigo72