Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50

Cyph3r

Dburne - great thoughts, one follow up question. What length extension are you using now?

If I go the VPC route I'm going to stick with my 15cm from Sahaj, wonder what spring set up I'd need to support that (especially with a heavy Warthog stick on top).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dburne - great thoughts, one follow up question. What length extension are you using now?

If I go the VPC route I'm going to stick with my 15cm from Sahaj, wonder what spring set up I'd need to support that (especially with a heavy Warthog stick on top).

I am using the extension kit from Virpil, and have experimented with different lengths.

I settled on same as you, I am using 150mm extension for my T-50. I have the desk mount bracket set in it's lowest position. The really nice thing about the Virpil desk mount bracket and varying extension length possibilities one has many options to set it up for personal preference.

I am not sure how much different the Warthog grip might affect it. I would think maybe some, but not enough to make too big a difference. Keep in mind too you can tighten up on the tension of the springs with the adjustment screws on top of the base, just if you go too far you may lose some travel at the extremes. I had thought about using it myself, but have come to like the Virpil grip myself - especially having that axis on the brake ( paddle ) lever which is really nice.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Appreciate the response. Sounds like the spring tension could definitely be tighten to support whatever, if any, additional stress the Warthog grip placed on it.

Now we wait to gain comfort from seeing consistent reports that cams are showing up in the condition they should be

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Even the light spring was enough to center the stick with the warthog grip, soft center cam and a 20cm extension when I tried it, it was pretty damn loose though. Lately I've been using the strong springs, soft center and 20cm for fixed wing and it still flows very easily through the middle with either grip. There's a smooth onset of force as you leave the middle but with the strong springs it increases rapidly with deflection.

For helicopters I use the light spring tightened just to the point where the bearing touches the cam, forces are extremely light, almost doesn't feel like there's a spring at all when I fly. It does still mostly recenter if you let go although it's less inclined to go all the way with the warthog grip.

Appreciate the response. Sounds like the spring tension could definitely be tighten to support whatever, if any, additional stress the Warthog grip placed on it.

Now we wait to gain comfort from seeing consistent reports that cams are showing up in the condition they should be

I sure hope that is the case going forward. Whilst I am thoroughly enjoying my stick and would not want to fly without it, I was so disappointed to see it arrive with rough cams installed after all this time when the issue had been already brought up on a few occasions. My other cams look great, but I wanted the soft center and they kindly installed them for me.

Now granted I don't really notice it whilst flying with gentle movements, but moving the stick around when not flying it is very obvious in both feel and sound. Just a slightly annoying thing that my first gimbal did not have, it was smooth as could be. I hope it does not affect the gimbal long term.

Also in this gimbal I hear that "clanking" sound on both sides of the roll axis. Don't feel it just hear it, and of course only when moving it while not flying. Not sure what that is, do others have this? I don't recall my first gimbal having that but not sure.

I am though very happy with this stick and already have many hours logged into flying with it.

I will say, if this gimbal ( cam )had the same exact smoothness of the first one it would be pure flight stick heaven.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

These are the cams I have received, they look good although I haven't tried to mount them because I'm ok with the default ones at the moment. What are those cams, btw? No centre and hard centre, is that correct?

nNd7ghM.jpg

Also in this gimbal I hear that "clanking" sound on both sides of the roll axis. Don't feel it just hear it, and of course only when moving it while not flying. Not sure what that is, do others have this? I don't recall my first gimbal having that but not sure.

Mine is quite silent, sometimes it "clanks" when I roll hard but that's it. It doesn't affect the movement or the input at all.

I had no problems with my T-50 until few hours ago when the X axis stopped working entiraly. I fire DXTweak and I saw no input at all. I remembered when I have changed the springs that one of the connector was in bad shape and I think that might be the issue:

2eIbUvl.jpg

It doens't look interrupted or different than how it was few days ago but I can't image what else went wrong.

Kinda sucks, I joined a multiplayer server for the first time in years and I really wanted to stream tonight :(

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

Karon - is that on a new unit for you?

If so, it's really getting hard to take VPC seriously as they continue to ship shoddy work out over and over and over again.

Sorry to see that, bud. Hope you can get it resolved quickly...really unfortunate.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Hi Karon,

The other cams are indeed no-center and hard-center!

The issue with your x-axis is most unfortunate, I'm very sorry to hear about that. As mentioned in our previous correspondence, have a quick chat with our electronics engineer and we'll be able to get to the bottom of this - it'll get sorted don't worry!

Karon - is that on a new unit for you?

If so, it's really getting hard to take VPC seriously as they continue to ship shoddy work out over and over and over again.

Sorry to see that, bud. Hope you can get it resolved quickly...really unfortunate.

Remember that faults are not unique to us, on these forums the (very) few issues that do crop up will be most vocal. We've shipped out more units to date than we ever would've imagined at the start of the year - the actual % of issues we've had speaking to existing customers is absolutely minuscule.

Of course, as a company we really try to go the extra mile for anyone who does experience any issues and we'll never leave any of our customers in the dark!

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On my gimbal that "clanking" sound depends on how the screws are adjusted...

On my gimbal that "clanking" sound depends on how the screws are adjusted...

Hmm I can try adjusting them a little, but really have them about right where I want them. I guess though if it is nothing to worry about I just won't bother, as like I said I of course do not hear it whilst flying.

Thanks,

Don B

Hi Karon,

The other cams are indeed no-center and hard-center!

The issue with your x-axis is most unfortunate, I'm very sorry to hear about that. As mentioned in our previous correspondence, have a quick chat with our electronics engineer and we'll be able to get to the bottom of this - it'll get sorted don't worry!

Remember that faults are not unique to us, on these forums the (very) few issues that do crop up will be most vocal. We've shipped out more units to date than we ever would've imagined at the start of the year - the actual % of issues we've had speaking to existing customers is absolutely minuscule.

Of course, as a company we really try to go the extra mile for anyone who does experience any issues and we'll never leave any of our customers in the dark!

Got it, I guess I just missed these similar types of issues popping up so consistently (or at all) with the VKB Gunfighter and any BRD products.

I hope QC continues to improve and as I've said before, customer service seems to be great...i would love to get a VPC setup, I just can't bring myself to trust it yet.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Got it, I guess I just missed these similar types of issues popping up so consistently (or at all) with the VKB Gunfighter and any BRD products.

I hope QC continues to improve and as I've said before, customer service seems to be great...i would love to get a VPC setup, I just can't bring myself to trust it yet.

Probably because they have a very open approach to the community so whenever there's a problem we speak about it because maybe someone else has already found a solution. Also, CS responsiveness is great.

That being said, they had issues with rough cams initially but now they fixed it (I posted a picture of mine in post #1482 and they look polished and well made). Several other issues (calibration, for instance) are due to the lack of a software but afaik is coming. Hopefully mine is simply another software issue.

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

Probably because they have a very open approach to the community so whenever there's a problem we speak about it because maybe someone else has already found a solution. Also, CS responsiveness is great.

That being said, they had issues with rough cams initially but now they fixed it (I posted a picture of mine in post #1482 and they look polished and well made). Several other issues (calibration, for instance) are due to the lack of a software but afaik is coming. Hopefully mine is simply another software issue.

I hope that is the case - As previously mentioned I just got a new gimbal a couple of weeks ago - serial # 138 and the cams that are in it are certainly rough. I am able to fly with it just fine and have several hours on it now, just one of those things that is a bit of a small aggravation for me.

I still recommend the stick so I hope that will not be the case going forward.

Don B

Hmm I can try adjusting them a little, but really have them about right where I want them. I guess though if it is nothing to worry about I just won't bother, as like I said I of course do not hear it whilst flying.

Thanks,

I don’t own a Virpil stick but could the clanking you hear/feel be eminating from the springs under load?

Sorry if I’m mistaken, I’m not sure how the springs are attached in the Virpil mechanism.

I don’t own a Virpil stick but could the clanking you hear/feel be eminating from the springs under load?

Sorry if I’m mistaken, I’m not sure how the springs are attached in the Virpil mechanism.

It could be I guess, I really do not know.

Don B

Regarding the "clanking" that doesnt have any sort of tactile feel or effect on the input, we've heard from one other user that reseating the springs sorted it out for him!

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Regarding the "clanking" that doesnt have any sort of tactile feel or effect on the input, we've heard from one other user that reseating the springs sorted it out for him!

If I were to open her up and do that, I would get you also to send me some replacement soft center cams. But after what I went through already with that earlier, just not sure that is a route I want to take at this time.

Thanks,

Don B

If I were to open her up and do that, I would get you also to send me some replacement soft center cams. But after what I went through already with that earlier, just not sure that is a route I want to take at this time.

Thanks,

We've already sent you replacement cams by the way ;) :thumbsup: they should be with you end of this week or start of next! I know you didn't explicitly request them, but as you mentioned some roughness on your current cams, we sent some out - at least you'll have the option if you want to take another shot at it.

If you do attempt the cam change again, please feel free to contact me beforehand, and I can walk you through it :)

Edited by Cyph3r

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We've already sent you replacement cams by the way ;) :thumbsup: they should be with you end of this week or start of next! I know you didn't explicitly request them, but as you mentioned some roughness on your current cams, we sent some out - at least you'll have the option if you want to take another shot at it.

If you do attempt the cam change again, please feel free to contact me beforehand, and I can walk you through it :)

Sounds great, thanks so much!

Still undecided whether to try it, but at least I will have them should I decide to give another go.

I tightened up the tension a couple of turns and seems to have stopped the clanking noise in the roll axis for now.

Don B

This is why, despite the early on QC "issues", I deep down want to be able to get comfortable enough to order a VPC as my next HOTAS (instead of VKB). Outstanding customer service supported by Corporate...whereas I feel VKB corporate is non-existent in terms of customer relations.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

This is why, despite the early on QC "issues", I deep down want to be able to get comfortable enough to order a VPC as my next HOTAS (instead of VKB). Outstanding customer service supported by Corporate...whereas I feel VKB corporate is non-existent in terms of customer relations.

I can't speak to VKB support, but certainly in my case with Virpil the support has been outstanding and they have been quick to try to resolve any issue.

And it really is an awesome setup!

Don B

I tend to disagree with you there. I own a VKB stick and have nothing but positive things to say about them. They may not be as active on message forums but the end products have had zero quality issues AFAIK. Also, their NA sales distributer and forum member RRhode is very helpful and excellent with communication between customers and VKB headquarters.

Thanks,

I'm not entirely sure I understand the problem with this, I've seen a few people comment, and when I got my new cams and swapped them, I found it quite easy. The hardest thing was finding the written instructions, the rest was pretty straight forward, though, I guess I am used to working on "small things", so could be an experience thing.

Z...

I'm not entirely sure I understand the problem with this, I've seen a few people comment, and when I got my new cams and swapped them, I found it quite easy. The hardest thing was finding the written instructions, the rest was pretty straight forward, though, I guess I am used to working on "small things", so could be an experience thing.

Z...

No, at least in my case it was a locked in cam - could not get screw out, and tried to use brute force which did not end well...

I understand they have better and slightly larger screws now.

Don B