SoftTH 2.xx explained at a example configuration

Hello - In this thread I want to uncover some "Mysteries" that SoftTH inherits for the not so experienced users out there at a practical example where the monitors are not the same size like the Primary one.

Succellus did send me a Personal Message asking If I could assist him in choosing the right components for a planned DCS-setup that will incorporate a HD TV and additional screens for expanding the peripheral vision.

Here is our held conversation:

I am planning a sim pit and I'm seeking option for 3 monitors 2 to widen the view + 1 TV and another monitor dedicated to the MFD, gauges etc.

I would like, if it doesn't bother you, to know more about the software and to know your rig.

Thank you.

Hi,

I heave looked up some of your last posts and as I when read between the line you are searching a first a future proof GPU card. I made this suggestion for you:

This setup would need at last a HD 6850 to run fine at 3778x2125.

You need 4 outputs at the card . You have to keep this resolution for Fullscreengaming in DCS to use the whole FullHD resolution in the HD TV (1920x1080).

The Touchscreen is optional - normal screen would do it also -but you would be able to control the cockpit directly. - This video always inspired me to build my set-up as I'm planning it right now:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v1627326198keXc3X

My set-up looks right now like a pile of crap.. Loosely attached monitors to do some research how - to built this up without loosing too much performance.

I'm right now waiting for the price to drop for two FullHD 120hz projectors that utilise Shutter Glasses to full-fill the wish of a little man in my head that says "I want 3D at the top on a spherical projection and 3 touch-screens under this image to manipulate everything without to use some 2D overlays that prevent me from using Fullscreen!" - when I have the right Projectors I will start posting images that will blow your mind!!!

But up to now its the decision to buy a new car that is good for me and my better Half or to buy the projectors (price-range 1200€-2.400€ each!!!)

and with the side-effect that I don't have to buy a new car -- simply because my girlfriend left.. and she will call the ambulance to commit me in a loony bin.

To give you more detailed help with the choose of your hardware and softth I need more info of your monitors.

Here Is more info what SoftTh can do:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=71710

I loked at the movie, its a bit big for the dedicated space i have but its whati have in mind but with a 32" TV and probably 2 19" or 17" monitor at its side.

I wonder who drawn more on the GPU TV or 19" monitor.

Hello,

Good question... and I want to answer it as detailed as possible.

See my preparation: http://forums.eagle.ru/album.php?albumid=497&pictureid=3437

But as our conversation becomes bigger and very technical I would like to move my answer to a new thread in the input/output section of the open forum because I think that many other could benefit from this practical example that we are discussing.

Are you agree with me and do you have nothing against my intention to post some extracts of our prior conservation as introduction ?

Please feel free, i just moved this to PM because i wasn't sure you would be interested in this conversation.

Anything that can benefit the community is extremely welcome.

I wonder who drawn more on the GPU TV or 19" monitor.
I want to answer this at this example with a 32" HD TV in centre:

picture.php?albumid=497&pictureid=3440

As you can see I added all parameters that are necessary to setup softTH

and the Options.lua of DCS In this example I started with the calculation for the additional screens using the HDTV native reselution. I simply set the 1920x1080 px in relation to the physical size of the other Monitors to get a in pixel-size homogeneous (I'm talking about the rendered pixels -not the native) and distortion free (everything in relation to the 16:9 of the HDTV) image.

Here is the config.softthconfig for this example

[main]

renderResolution=3408x1907

nonlocalFormat=RGB16D

keepComposition=0

smoothing=1

debugD3D=0

zClear=1

vsync=0

tripleBuffer=0

screenshotFormat=jpg

dllPathD3D9=auto

dllPathDXGI=auto

dllPathD3D11=auto

[overrides]

forceResolution=0

antialiasing=0

processAffinity=0

FOVForceHorizontal=0

FOVForceVertical=0

[head_primary]

sourceRect=744,0,1920,1080

screenMode=1920x1080

[head_1]

devID=1

sourceRect=0,0,649,1113

transportResolution=720x1280

transportMethod=auto

noSync=0

[head_2]

devID=2

sourceRect=2714,0,649,1113

transportResolution=720x1280

transportMethod=auto

noSync=0

[head_3]

devID=3

sourceRect=1064,1163,1269,744

transportResolution=1280x720

transportMethod=auto

noSync=0

Here are some detailed explanations for the config.softthconfig:

picture.php?albumid=497&pictureid=3439

Edit to the options.lua :

The screenheight must be 1907 , the screenwidth 3408 and the aspect 1,7871 that equals roughly 16:9. It is not exactly 1,777777777777778 Because we added the Bezel-size to the resolution .

So that the outcome will be a Fullscreen render of DCS very similar to this (but everything scaled down to a 32" TV:

And to answer the question if the HDTV or the side-monitors are are more demanding to the GPU we have to use a little maths:

the sidemonitors are two times 694x1113 in game resolution .

that is 1544844 px

and the Centerscreen is (1920x1080) 2073600 px

And as we know that most of the relevant objects/Hud/cockpit is drawn in the centre we can say that the area of the HDTV is more GPU demanding than the Side-monitors.

Edited by PeterP
  • Like 1

Peter , this is quite what i was thinking on doing. seems very good.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

Additional Important Note:

Choosing the right components is really important:

See this thread for reference - http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=72006

Up to know I would suggest min HD 68xx - because you have a minimum of 4 display outputs directly at one card (two of them can utilise a TH2GO)and you can use them all at the same.

So you don't have to wonder if your FSB/RAM/USB transfer-rate will be fast enough to copy the data without bottlenecking the GPU.

and when looking at the new SoftTH 2.0.5 config I'm very pleased to see this line:

dllPathD3D11=auto

This gives me much hope that SoftTH will work with DirectX 11 in the future. :)

Edited by PeterP

Any experience with Helios + softTH ?

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

If you ask Helios + SoftTH you can equally ask if Helios will run while DCS is in Full-screen-mode ( without SoftTH).

Both answers are no- I can only judge on the open Helios-beta.

And Helios has up to now no DX overlay plug-in (as far as I know) that is needed to draw over a active DirectX window.

Helios would be to configure the lower display with gauges sensors and what not i consider relevant for my flying.

SoftTh would be for tripple monitor.

Thats why i m asking.

- Yes I did understand your question clearly (Must be something like:" will softTh work with Helios?" )

If you ask Helios + SoftTH you can equally ask if Helios will run while DCS is in Full-screen-mode ( without SoftTH).

Both answers are no- I can only judge on the open Helios-beta.

And Helios has up to now no DX overlay plug-in (as far as I know) that is needed to draw over a active DirectX window.

To be more clear why this dont work out really good :

When you run a Fullscreen application (Could be on Primary Monitor of windows or a SoftTH configuration - it will make no different) and you have a secondary monitor attached that shows another application (Helios) - and you click outside the "window" of the DX application (DCS) on the other task the DirectX application will stop the output of the graphic and run in the background .

You can only combine Helios with DCS on one computer if DCS runs in windows mode. This naturally dosent change if you want to combine the MFCDs together with Helios.

DCS must be in windowed mode to get full functionality with helios and the FPS benefit is gone if you have a bigger Pixel output then normal e.g. 1600x1200 max.(...As far that I know.., and I'm very certain about this. But I would be very happy if someone proofs me wrong!)

I use a touch-screen to display and manipulate all necessary cockpit elements like in the Youtubevideo I made for you. I ths the most natural way to go If you have a TrackIR. I have NO(!) problem to control the MFCDs on the fly. :)

Hi, all !

bravo for the good explanation about softTH, it is a valuable initiative !!

and interesting question and remarks here... about Helios

therefore I asked for that question on Helios forum with link to here

Gadroc (Helios developer) is a bit overbooked these times but he will certainly have a look later I think.

- Yes I did understand your question clearly (Must be something like:" will softTh work with Helios?" )

To be more clear why this dont work out really good :

When you run a Fullscreen application (Could be on Primary Monitor of windows or a SoftTH configuration - it will make no different) and you have a secondary monitor attached that shows another application (Helios) - and you click outside the "window" of the DX application (DCS) on the other task the DirectX application will stop the output of the graphic and run in the background .

You can only combine Helios with DCS on one computer if DCS runs in windows mode. This naturally dosent change if you want to combine the MFCDs together with Helios.

DCS must be in windowed mode to get full functionality with helios and the FPS benefit is gone if you have a bigger Pixel output then normal e.g. 1600x1200 max.(...As far that I know.., and I'm very certain about this. But I would be very happy if someone proofs me wrong!)

I use a touch-screen to display and manipulate all necessary cockpit elements like in the Youtubevideo I made for you. I ths the most natural way to go If you have a TrackIR. I have NO(!) problem to control the MFCDs on the fly. :)

In general what Peter says is true, but your results may vary. With Vista and Windows 7 the actual render path differences between full screen and windowed mode are not as different as they used to be and not all games react specifically as he's indicated. In addition Helios does use the touch api when available (aka when your touch screen is a native windows 7 digitizer and doesn't do it's own mouse emulation). This api interacts differently than mouse events and does result in different behaviors sometimes. Assuming you have the hardware both SoftTH and Helios are freely available give it a try and see how it works.

I have set up SoftTH on my pit, but it offered zero performance improvement over windowed mode so it didn't get much testing.

• 3 months later...

Hi Hassata!

Will have a look at it tomorrow - just finished watching Tour de France and prepare right now for a Party tonight. (Cheers!)

Still one question - In witch way are the Monitors connected to the GPU?- are the small monitors USB ?

Edit:

(if you are using USB connected monitors -please read this: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=77231 and also the links I have posted - just to be prepared for the worst.)

Edited by PeterP

Thanks man. My primary is connected HDMI-MDMI, both the 7" monitors are connected VGA to Active Adapter to Mini Ports, and the 19 Inch displaying HELIOS is VGA to Adapter to DVI.

P.S. Take your time recovering tomorrow :drunk: lol

Edited by hassata

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

both the 7" monitors are connected VGA to Active Adapter to Mini Ports,

Indeed a very good choice to use VGA connected ones instead of USB!

There is still one thing-

As precise your technical (PDF) drawing is - it shows only half of the story.

Could you be so kind to take a screen-capture of the simulation with Helios and all devices running ?

Because of this:

CDU =
{
x = 106;
y = 1985;
width = 228;
height = 225;
}
CHAFF =
{
x = 320;
y = 1661;
width = 200;
height = 140;
}
CMSC =
{
x = 690;
y = 1647;
width = 208;
height = 207;
}
DIGITALCLOCK =
{
x = 941;
y = 1916;
width = 72;
height = 72;
}
RWR =
{
x = 26;
y = 1720;
width = 220;
height = 220;
}

Even if I (well, my mind can trick me...) fully recovered from my hard and intense chemical-alcohol experiments I have done with a work-group last night - It would be very helpful to have some visual clues while rearranging your monitor layout to lower the overall render resolution.

So I can see the relative position of the exports without taking out the calculator every-time , so i could easily use a on-screen ruler.

that would be very helpful and would prevent my maths-processor inside my head from serious overheating and taking even more damage than last night...:)

Hi again - no need to take screen-shots any-more , hassata - got it myself. -and it was not such a big afford as it seemed in the first place.

Just give me a "go" if everything looks right and I will prepare the files.

Your current set-up (total render 1920x2584 px) :

attachment.php?attachmentid=54105&stc=1&d=1311419104

This is my goal - including softTH and running helios (total render 1920 x 2104 px):

attachment.php?attachmentid=54107&stc=1&d=1311419414

so you see that you can save...

now: 1920 x 2584 = 4.961.280 pixels

rearanged : 1920 x 2104 = 4.039.680

...roughly 1million pixels from being rendered without losing image quality in any way.

One thing still irritates my mind quite heavy- and and I need confirmation that my assumption above is right -before I prepare the files for you:

You have a resolution of 1920x2854 in your options.lua:

["width"] = 1920,

["MSAA"] = 2,

["height"] = 2854, --??

["civTraffic"] = "",

["shadows"] = 2,

["clutterMaxDistance"] = 0,

["lights"] = 2,

}, -- end of ["graphics"]

Why?

I can turn it around and around and I will get only 2584 that are needed at your current set-up.

So this would mean that your card is rendering right now roughly 2million pixels without any sense and no target (!!!)...

this Reminds me of a picture that perfectly fits my feelings when looking at your files ...

vader.jpg

-thanks to Mower for posting such stuff.

;)

So maybe you don't need to run softTH to get a FPS boost....

Only change your files to my example above.

-But lets try it anyway...because we will find out if Helios works together with SoftTH hand-in-hand - as I did it once at my system.

But please confirm my observation first before I will start doing the maths.

nowt.thumb.jpg.31254d9108bf640bd61fc08db86a4cb8.jpg

goal.thumb.jpg.d6461f7a74e111bcc3db2cd6c7f56d9e.jpg

Edited by PeterP

Could you be so kind to take a screen-capture of the simulation with Helios and all devices running ?

Sorry Peter-just saw your posts.

As precise your technical (PDF) drawing is

Come on man, I tried :D.

You have a resolution of 1920x2854 in your optiocns.lua:

Why?

Dyslexia lol? It should be exactly 2584. No more pictures of me in my Darth outfit. Please.

Everything looks perfect-I just hope softh will work with my setup this time so that I wouldn't have bothered you for nothing.I will arrange my monitors as above when I am next at my machine-that will give me a nice boost. Thanks!

Edit:

Here's the funny thing. I must have calculated resolution over 10 times when testing and setting up, and each time I got 1920*2584, and each time I inputed in Options as 1920*2854. Good God. That's why I had to go down 135 for Center Display in my LMFCD.lua :doh:.

Unless you want me to test for HELIOS, don't bother with the SofTH config Peter. I'm getting a nice boost as above and not much if any difference between Full and Windowed. But I don't mind testing for HELIOS at all if you think it'll help others searching this thread. Thanks for the rearrangment advice man.

Edited by hassata

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unless you want me to test for HELIOS, don't bother with the SofTH config Peter. I'm getting a nice boost as above and not much if any difference between Full and Windowed. But I don't mind testing for HELIOS at all if you think it'll help others searching this thread. Thanks for the rearrangement advice man.

I would like to see if you get Helios to work together with SoftTH.

Here is your config.SoftTHconfig :

[main]

renderResolution=1920x2104

nonlocalFormat=RGB32

keepComposition=1

smoothing=0

debugD3D=0

zClear=0

vsync=0

tripleBuffer=0

screenshotFormat=jpg

dllPathD3D9=auto

dllPathDXGI=auto

dllPathD3D11=auto

[overrides]

forceResolution=0

antialiasing=0

processAffinity=1

FOVForceHorizontal=0

FOVForceVertical=0

[head_primary]

sourceRect=0,0,1920,1080

screenMode=1920x1080

[head_1]

devID=1

sourceRect=0,1080,1280,1024

transportResolution=1280x1024

transportMethod=auto

noSync=0

[head_2]

devID=2

sourceRect=1280,1080,640,480

transportResolution=640x480

transportMethod=auto

noSync=0

[head_3]

devID=3

sourceRect=1280,1560,640,480

transportResolution=640x480

transportMethod=auto

noSync=0

attachment.php?attachmentid=54116&stc=1&d=1311434101

Your have to set your renderResolution to 1920x2104 in the options.lua and select "fullscreen" to see a boost.

Withaout a screencapture I cant help you much with your "MonitorConfig.LUA" -

Ican see that you had to lower the "camera" 135 px to compensate your mistake.

That also means that every export is has also 135px offset to appear at the right place.

So I simply made this calculation that your exports will be at the right place with my rearrangement:

135+480 = 615 (480 is for the little monitors that moved to the right.)

So we have to subtract 615px from each y-value of each export that appears in the Helios windnow... , but this doesn't seems to be so easy with your file...:

I made annotations what looks strange to me:

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('MFCD');

Description = 'Left MFCD on the left monitor,Right MFCD on the right and camera on the center'

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 135;

width = 1920;

height =1080; --so the camera ends at y=1223 (1080+135)

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.7777777777777777777777777;

}

}

LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 0;

y = 1220; --why? -camera ends at y=1223 so it has to start at 1223

width = 435; --why width and height is not equal=square image

height = 475;

}

RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = 832;

y = 1240;

width = 445; ---the same as above but even more strange because diffrent values...

height = 458;

}

CDU =

{

x = 106;

y = 1985;

width = 228;

height = 225;

}

CHAFF =

{

x = 320;

y = 1661; when I would subtract 615 pixel it would be outside of the helios monitor... - and so is 1661 right now.

width = 200;

height = 140;

}

CMSC =

{

x = 690;

y = 1647;

width = 208;

height = 207;

}

DIGITALCLOCK =

{

x = 941;

y = 1916;

width = 72;

height = 72;

}

RWR =

{

x = 26;

y = 1720;

width = 220;

height = 220;

}

UIMainView = Viewports.Center

So pleas provide me with a screen capture of your Helios screen -or try to manage this yourself.

Hope you understand my difficulties... but anyway:

That is how I get Helios running with DCS+SoftTH in the Fullscreen-mode:

When you have set up SoftTH (Use the right .dll ! there is a 64 and 32 bit and the config.SoftTHconfig goes with the d3d9.dll in the "bin" that's the folder where the exe is )

If you don't see it - use the alt-tab to jump to it or click on the Helios screen while the simulation process is loading.

And Helios must be running and visible be for you start DCS.

softth.thumb.jpg.05e9884fce8cfb11d748a6667768602f.jpg

Edited by PeterP

Thanks Peter-I'll gove this a go. I just actually finished revising monitor.lua to go along with your suggested arrangement, so I should be ok. Everything is in the right place and I got a nice boost :). Most of the weirdness with the numbers is to compensate for my eye position and fitting a square image into the 7" monitor. I won't be able to test till very late, but I will post when done.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Peter:

The dll worked and DCS was displaying on all monitors even though in full, but the mfd and others did not show. The A10 splash image that displays on all monitors when waiting to fly was an all white band except on non-primary monitors (where as usually its a band tha is part of the A10 splash image). Attached as requested. Don't bother now if getting .0.9 set up, I am doing the same.

673904641_dcs2011-07-2420-57-28-18.thumb.jpg.8991f9d0dfc7c093163aeee8db027748.jpg

LMFCD+Camera+RMFCD.lua

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...

I don't know if this is the correct place tp put this post..I'm one weary old pilot attempting to get my sim back to where my troubles begaN...LOST EVERYTHING...I know there must be hundreds having a config like mine..center 1920x1080 and 2 7' VGA monitors (768x768) seemed to work best but after spending weeks getting re-installed..well guys I'm 79 and this old pilot is mucho weary...no more challanges..just want to get back to flying...not fixing. I really would like a bail-out.

Thanks for your help...rogueone

CPU AMD FX 8350 * core @ 4.3 GHZ/Font

MOBO ASUSSabertooth 990FX R2.0/Font

RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengence 1600/Font

Graphics 6970 & 6950 xfire

HD 750GB @ 7200 RPM

SSD HD Intel x-25 160GB

SSD HD 2 240 GB

Win 7 Pro

Controllers Warthog & Saitec Rudder

Track IR5 3 monitors 27" LCD and 2 10" VGA

First Please have some read:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89282

And then come back and please describe with simple words your problem a little more precise and tell more about the exact arrangement and your settings.

Once you have done this - I'm very confident that someone will be able to tell you what's wrong and how to fix it.

Edited by PeterP

• 1 month later...

hELLO FELLOW TRAVLERS. I just wamted to tell you how much PeterP has helped me;PETERTP TO THE RESCUE...HE TAUGHT ME HOW AND WHY OF SETUP it saved my sanity and no words can full define his aid to me. He is one hello of a resource for us A_10ers and the entire DCS community.

My best to PeterP and the other souls who are struggling like me.

rogueone

CPU AMD FX 8350 * core @ 4.3 GHZ/Font

MOBO ASUSSabertooth 990FX R2.0/Font

RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengence 1600/Font

Graphics 6970 & 6950 xfire

HD 750GB @ 7200 RPM

SSD HD Intel x-25 160GB

SSD HD 2 240 GB

Win 7 Pro

Controllers Warthog & Saitec Rudder

Track IR5 3 monitors 27" LCD and 2 10" VGA

hELLO FELLOW TRAVLERS. I just wamted to tell you how much PeterP has helped me;PETERTP TO THE RESCUE...HE TAUGHT ME HOW AND WHY OF SETUP it saved my sanity and no words can full define his aid to me. He is one hello of a resource for us A_10ers and the entire DCS community.

My best to PeterP and the other souls who are struggling like me.

rogueone

HEAR, HEAR! I spend probably more time reading PeterP's superbly detailed posts of advice than I do flying....!

Very helpful and fun too.

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg