DCS and Pimax

Wags

Surely Rift/Vive are approx 10 PPD (1080/110), Vive Pro 13 PPD (1440/110) and Pimax 5K+ 15 PPD (2560/170).

Net exactly. That why I insist on that "per eye" part because a large part of FOV is the same. So Rift, Vive or any other 110FOV per eye have per eye around 100FOV per eye so in this case formula is

Rift/Vive - 1080 / 100 = 10.8 PPD around 10 ( that was my previous mistake made when I say 12)

Vive PRO/WMR - 1440 / 100 = 14.4 PPD around 14

Pimax 5K/8K - 2560 / 135 = 18.9 around 18

Why just 135FOV per eye? this 100 is common to all as the central FOV. Pimax is different have this 170FOV. 100 stay common but 70 is a peripheral vision which is going 35 on right and 35 on left side/eye whatever. That is more correct.

When you calculating resolution for both eye this only affecting when you are calculating the number of pixels to render and that could give you some picture about performances and it is not related with PPD but estimation of FPS.

Net exactly. That why I insist on that "per eye" part because a large part of FOV is the same. So Rift, Vive or any other 110FOV per eye have per eye around 100FOV per eye so in this case formula is

Rift/Vive - 1080 / 100 = 10.8 PPD around 10 ( that was my previous mistake made when I say 12)

Vive PRO/WMR - 1440 / 100 = 14.4 PPD around 14

Pimax 5K/8K - 2560 / 135 = 18.9 around 18

Why just 135FOV per eye? this 100 is common to all as the central FOV. Pimax is different have this 170FOV. 100 stay common but 70 is a peripheral vision which is going 35 on right and 35 on left side/eye whatever. That is more correct.

When you calculating resolution for both eye this only affecting when you are calculating the number of pixels to render and that could give you some picture about performances and it is not related with PPD but estimation of FPS.

Sorry, but I just don't follow what you are saying. What does 'So Rift, Vive or any other 110FOV per eye have per eye around 100FOV per eye' mean?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Sorry, but I just don't follow what you are saying. What does 'So Rift, Vive or any other 110FOV per eye have per eye around 100FOV per eye' mean?

It is because of 3D. Periferalvision you can see only with one eye so you can't calculate full FOV (what you can see with both eyes) for just one eye.

Make some experiments better understand. Look forward and close your hands in front of you and then start to spread until you lost it in your peripheral vision. So that is your real FOV.

Now close your left eye and move your left hand to the center until you start to see it again in your peripheral vision. You will see how less it is and you lose completely your left peripheral. Same is with the opposing side.

At 110FOV you don't see peripheral at all so this 10° is because of differences in eyes and 3D picture, basically for your pupilar distance.

I hope you understand now.

https://biology.stackexchange.com/questions/67197/what-is-the-field-of-view-of-humans-not-just-fixed-angle-eyes

https://biology.stackexchange.com/questions/28138/what-is-the-field-of-view-for-the-human-eyes

Edited by wormeaten

Thanks for trying to enlighten me, but, no I still don't understand the point you are making. Whether something is in peripheral vision or not, it still has to be rendered. So, I would say that the PPD figure must simply be the number of horizontal pixels divided by the degrees of FOV in each headset, peripheral or not.

Not worth pursuing any further though, as the differences between the 3 devices are clear whatever the numbers.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks for trying to enlighten me, but, no I still don't understand the point you are making. Whether something is in peripheral vision or not, it still has to be rendered. So, I would say that the PPD figure must simply be the number of horizontal pixels divided by the degrees of FOV in each headset, peripheral or not.

Not worth pursuing any further though, as the differences between the 3 devices are clear whatever the numbers.

Check the links. I edit my answer.

Rendering as I say is a different story and PPD don't have anything with rendering as performances. The resolution has and resolution for both eyes, not just one.

Even if it looks the same but because that slight change for the stereoscopic view you have basically two separate picture for rendering. That is why VR need twice as many performances than picture true monitor.

If you just rendering one picture and duplicate it this will be the same picture and without 3D same, as it is on the monitor.

Dear all,

While it's too early to know exactly what will come from it, we are in touch with Pimax regarding their 8K system and how we can best cooperate for an amazing DCS VR experience.

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks WAGS.

DCS can assist by going multi-thread...easing the GPU or CPU bottle neck problems.

PIMAX will help by adding clarity and peripheral vision to the equation.

Both are badly needed for an improved VR experience.

I applaud DCS for its proactivity in working with VR OEM’s to make a great sim even better !

Wouldn't crown them yet, the post from Wags is over a year old and we haven't heard of a single takeaway from their meeting. Pimax HMD's are arriving and there isn't a PC on earth that will be able to drive DCS on it in a multiplayer server.

Also, DCS is probably the least optimized sim in any genre. I hate to be overly negative, but there isn't much to applaud.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Rendering as I say is a different story and PPD don't have anything with rendering as performances. The resolution has and resolution for both eyes, not just one.

Even if it looks the same but because that slight change for the stereoscopic view you have basically two separate picture for rendering. That is why VR need twice as many performances than picture true monitor.

If you just rendering one picture and duplicate it this will be the same picture and without 3D same, as it is on the monitor.

Yes and no, the engine could use a single Draw call for both eyes, see Single pass stereo rendering shader and VRWorks - Single Pass Stereo. Prep3D use something similar and the fps rise to solid 90 from ~35.

Yes and no, the engine could use a single Draw call for both eyes, see Single pass stereo rendering shader and VRWorks - Single Pass Stereo. Prep3D use something similar and the fps rise to solid 90 from ~35.

Infact Prepar3d has a nice option named single pass stereo and with it performance is great while with double pass is low...why dcs don’t have this option?

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

• 1 month later...

This just posted:

"

PimaxVR

Hi guys,

Some updates for you.

1. we tested 90Hz/80Hz with Brainwrap 1.0 Beta, it works well.
    When turning on this feature, the games rendering >45Hz/40Hz will be acting as 90Hz/80Hz with better rendering quality.
  2. We’re testing 72Hz/64Hz with Brainwrap 1.0 Beta now,
    In this case, the games rendering >36Hz/32Hz is expected as 72Hz/64Hz with even better rendering quality.

Another good feature included in Brainwarp 1.0 is also under Beta test now.

fixed foveated rendering

FFR(fixed foveated rendering) is expected to get another 8-15% performance gain.

Currently, Pimax FFR could support RTX20XX series cards, the next step we’re trying on GTX10XX.

Notes: Pimax “Smart Smoothing” and “FFR” feature are generally supporting for almost games(>95%). The games or titles don’t need any changes.

Thanks for all of the above suggestions. Dallas will feedback a table with the status show our reactions on all valuable suggestions from the community."

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

This is extremely good. I'm glad Pimax is improving its software to have more performance. Now we need what ED dcs has promised us: better vr in its game. We are looking forward to seeing these improvements. We need them to have a nice and smooth flight experience.

Pimax 5k+ 2080ti cpu oc 5ghz

This just posted:

"

PimaxVR

Hi guys,

Some updates for you.

1. we tested 90Hz/80Hz with Brainwrap 1.0 Beta, it works well.
    When turning on this feature, the games rendering >45Hz/40Hz will be acting as 90Hz/80Hz with better rendering quality.
  2. We’re testing 72Hz/64Hz with Brainwrap 1.0 Beta now,
    In this case, the games rendering >36Hz/32Hz is expected as 72Hz/64Hz with even better rendering quality.

Another good feature included in Brainwarp 1.0 is also under Beta test now.

fixed foveated rendering

FFR(fixed foveated rendering) is expected to get another 8-15% performance gain.

Currently, Pimax FFR could support RTX20XX series cards, the next step we’re trying on GTX10XX.

Notes: Pimax “Smart Smoothing” and “FFR” feature are generally supporting for almost games(>95%). The games or titles don’t need any changes.

Thanks for all of the above suggestions. Dallas will feedback a table with the status show our reactions on all valuable suggestions from the community."

Infact Prepar3d has a nice option named single pass stereo and with it performance is great while with double pass is low...why dcs don’t have this option?

It might. Check the last few pages of the VR improvments thread.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

It might. Check the last few pages of the VR improvments thread.

Yes i saw...there is some improvement but someone sees strange artifacts...i also saw it but not always...need to test more intensively

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Hey guys,

any news in here?

Has anybody else in here had trouble getting the PIMAX5K and DCS started via Steam? It only worked once and I had to shut down all Oculus processes running in the background before.

So far I haven't found out a way to get the DCS OB version startet from the Pi-Tool surface. Any suggestions here?

Cheers, ROB

My System: Full Scale Huey SimPit

-Pit Computer: i7-12700K | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Pro | 64GB DDR5 RAM | Nvidia RTX3090FE | Kingston KC3000 NVme

- All day use: i7-4790K | 32GB DDR4 RAM | ASRock Z97 Killer | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP! | Oculus Rift | Pimax8KX | Sensoryx VRFree Gloves | X-TAL VR

Yes i saw...there is some improvement but someone sees strange artifacts...i also saw it but not always...need to test more intensively

It seems to sort of work, minor frame improvement on my end. I did finally see the artifacts but its mostly on load screens, not in flight with VR. OTOH I'm getting alot more crashes now, not sure if thats DCS or on the occulus end. Sometimes DCS keeps running in the mirrored window other times it dies. Also not sure if its a 2.5.4 thing, or the one pass parser or the shader mod.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

It seems to sort of work, minor frame improvement on my end. I did finally see the artifacts but its mostly on load screens, not in flight with VR. OTOH I'm getting alot more crashes now, not sure if thats DCS or on the occulus end. Sometimes DCS keeps running in the mirrored window other times it dies. Also not sure if its a 2.5.4 thing, or the one pass parser or the shader mod.

Quick update, turned off the parser and it seems more stable.

Anyone tried brainwarp in DCS yet? I heard MRTV say its now available in the BETA PiTool or something like that. Also fixed foviated rendering.

I do not have a pimax, but am very interested if the brainwarp stuff works as well / better than the Rift's ASW?

Edited by NastyFruit
Typo

Anyone tried brainwarp in DCS yet? I heard MRTV say its now available in the BETA PiTool or something like that. Also fixed foviated rendering.

I do not have a pimax, but am very interested if the brainwarp stuff works as well / better than the Rift's ASW?

I did and it is pathetic ~35fps (max 40) in a 2080ti, too bad they need at least 45 fps to turn on the ASW, but ED needs to hire a couple of good Graphic engineers. ED, why don't optimize your ****ing code?

I did and it is pathetic ~35fps (max 40) in a 2080ti, too bad they need at least 45 fps to turn on the ASW, but ED needs to hire a couple of good Graphic engineers. ED, why don't optimize your ****ing code?

Holy crap! Were you able to enable the fixed foviated rendering as well? I also have a 2080ti (But only a rift CV1, did not realize the Pimax would be THAT much harder to drive.)

Hoping DCS can get some more VR optimizations soon!

Patience, Wags has already stated it is on the list of things they are working on.

Just have to wait, we are on ED's time here...

:smilewink:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Patience is a good thing. But fact remains DCS is by far the less performant flight sim, in VR, on the market.

A polite reminder is not untimely.

:)

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+

Lol... don't think they need reminders. They are always 3 steps ahead of what we are thinking.

Complexities are a real thing!

3 steps ahead and 45fps behind :(

Though to be fair, I think all the current hardware is getting taxed by VR, my other flight sims run a bit better than DCS, but they are still getting hammered. I'm genuinely hoping the big boys like NVIDIA and ATI are looking at ways to improve VR frames at the hardware level in their next gen cards. The current +10-20% performance bump every 2 years model they have isn't gonna cut it for VR.