Q & A F8F Bearcat

Welcome to the Questions and Answers thread for the VEAO Grumman F8F Bearcat.

In this thread feel free to ask any questions you have regarding this module and myself and the rest of the VEAO team will do our best to answer them as best we can.

To cover a few commonly asked questions from the warbirds thread :

• No ETA yet

• The Bearcat will be complete to EFM to PFM standards

• Full ASM

• We will be doing the F8F-2

If you guys have any questions for us then this is the place for you!

I can’t promise that we will answer all of them (usual NDA stuff applies etc etc) but we will certainly try!

Keep an eye out for the Eye Candy thread and the Dev Diary not only for this aircraft but for the other warbirds as well!

All the best

Pman

whoa, caught this. cool! the bearcat! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Given that this is a Warbirds collection, I'm curious, why the Bearcat over the Wildcat or the Hellcat? Given the Bearcat (As far as I know) never saw combat, it seems an interesting choice over its more prominent predecessors.

None the less, Its a nice aircraft and looking forward to how it goes.

Great looking aircraft

Can you confirm that it will be carrier landing compatible i.e. working arresting with hook?

it is our intention for it to be fully carrier capable, now we just need one to land it on ;)

Given that this is a Warbirds collection, I'm curious, why the Bearcat over the Wildcat or the Hellcat? Given the Bearcat (As far as I know) never saw combat, it seems an interesting choice over its more prominent predecessors.

None the less, Its a nice aircraft and looking forward to how it goes.

Our Warbirds collection isn't specific to a certain time period, our future plans certainly don't conform exclusively to ww2 prop aircraft :)

As for the other kitties...time will tell...

Pman

I believe there were still Bearcat squadrons active during the Korean conflict... they just were never deployed to the conflict; they stayed at home station

While I agree an F4F or F6F would be of greater appeal and application to the historically-correct WW2 crowd, keep in mind that many previous flight sims have quite successfully introduced other still-prototypes-at-war's-end aircraft, and these aircraft have proven quite successful in the gaming arena; such as the Do335, He162, etc. The F8F was a real, operational aircraft, and it represents the pinnacle of US carrier-borne piston fighter technology- what WOULD have been in use had the war dragged on just a little longer.

By the same logic, whole generations of jet fighters (50s-60s) would be "bad choices" because they never saw combat. To the best of my knowledge, F102/106, EE Lightning, and many of their contemporaries never fired a shot in anger. Doesn't mean that a 1955-1965 "cold war gone hot" scenario wouldn't be fun to play!

Now, as far as the Grumman birds go, what *I'd* love to see is the F7F Tigercat. That thing is dead sexy, STUPID fast, and carries a ridiculous gun payload. Came in both two-seat night fighters and single-seat fighter bombers. And saw action in Korea in the night-fighter role.

...you know, just in case VEAO is taking suggestions ;)

Wink wink...Skyraider....

... is a Douglas bird. We were talking Grummans :smilewink:

That said, ZOMG, yes please, I want a Skyraider. o.o

*edit* or did you mean the Skyraider, rather than the F8F is the pinnacle of US piston fighters? In which case... well, it wasn't a fighter. Originally torpedo/ dive bomber, if I recall...? =P

Edited by OutOnTheOP
... is a Douglas bird. We were talking Grummans :smilewink:

That said, ZOMG, yes please, I want a Skyraider. o.o

*edit* or did you mean the Skyraider, rather than the F8F is the pinnacle of US piston fighters? In which case... well, it wasn't a fighter. Originally torpedo/ dive bomber, if I recall...? =P

Skyraider has come up a few times.

Sadly the local operators of Skyraiders are not interested in helping us with DCS so therefore we cant do it

Pman

Yes I know, I love me some Grumman ironworks. Coolest Grumman I've ever seen was a PT6 conversion on a goose. Turbo Goose!

Would just love to have another long loitering dump truck to compliment the A-10

...and you are correct, definitely not a fighter.

Would be fun to have an A-6 as well.

...an F-7F

An A-26

B-25

P-61

A-4

F-5E

TBM Avenger

P-38J

And so on...

My coolest Grumman IronWorks, the F4F

http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=94976&d=1393805524

Edited by javelina1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Grumman Duck!

Three words.

No Water Physics

But it would be cool. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• 1 year later...

Hello Gents, I was reading through a Bearcat manual available on avialogs.com and read that some Bearcats were equipped with "Anti-Blackout Equipment". Specifically on Serial No. 94752 and subsequent aircraft. Does your Bearcat fall into that serial range, and if it does can you say how it will model the aforementioned equipment? Thanks!

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

Hello Gents, I was reading through a Bearcat manual available on avialogs.com and read that some Bearcats were equipped with "Anti-Blackout Equipment". Specifically on Serial No. 94752 and subsequent aircraft. Does your Bearcat fall into that serial range, and if it does can you say how it will model the aforementioned equipment? Thanks!

No our aircraft will not feature this device.

Pman

Unfortunate, but ok thanks Pman!

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy