Optoma GT1080Darbee Lag?

Hey, fellas.

I've been kicking around the idea of buying this projector (Optoma GT1080Darbee) for DCS exclusively and my home cockpit. Can anyone speak on this projector's performance for DCS? I'm particularly interested in the 16 ms lag time it boasts and if that will be/is noticeable.

Thanks in advance.

nate

ps- Anyone using a projector of any kind willing to comment on how lag may affect your overall and multiplayer play?

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

I can't speak to the projector's performance, but VR which is especially sensitive to display lag targets 20 millisecond (or less) "motion to photon" performance. That also includes the render time but it might at least give you a comparable target.

I can't speak to the projector's performance, but VR which is especially sensitive to display lag targets 20 millisecond (or less) "motion to photon" performance. That also includes the render time but it might at least give you a comparable target.

Noted. Thanks for the quick response!

TrackIR + Projector Solutions

I've got a Benq 1080st+ I use for DCS and I've never noticed any lag.

Thanks for the response, romeokilo.

Quick question for you (or anyone else) if you don't mind. I purchased the gt1080darbee (hasn't arrived yet) and have been wrestling with the following dilemma: How will I set up my TrackIR5 (not the pro-clip, just ball-cap reflectors) without the ir camera being tripped up by the ultra bright light that the projector will be emanating behind and above me? My homebuilt aces II head rest sits an inch or two above my head when seated, and I'd like my screen size to be somewhere between 75 in - 100 in, but not too terribly far from my eyes (maybe 5ft from screen to eyeball?). I have a front cockpit instrument panel that comes up to about my chest level when seating.

I have some ideas, but just thought I'd get some real-world feedback.

Thanks, in advance!

The TrackIR system is only tracking Infrared light (and afaik has an IR filter) so general ambient lighting shouldn't be an issue. Its certainly possible that the projector potentially _could_ put out a bunch of infrared light but probably doesn't.

If it becomes an issue, I'd pick up something like a TrackHat that will directly output IR tracking lights that should be brighter than any ambient noise.

I use track ir and I've never had any issues with it tracking because of the light from the projector.

The only issue is finding somewhere to mount the camera, as it usually sits on top of a monitor. Now it sits on my glare shield, next to the UFC, about at eye level.

That was an issue with the ball cap mount, due to the way the IR reflectors are mounted to it, it needs to be above the ball cap looking down somewhat.

Its not a problem with the track clip, which I use but don't really want to.

I've actually bought one of those 'tacticool operator' multicam ball caps that are covered in excessive amounts of velcro.

Plan was to by some 'tacticool' IR reflective IFF tape that has velcro backing, cut it into small squares then stick them on the hat so they are spaced wider apart than the track ir provided ball cap mount.

I think that will fix it, but I haven't got my pit running yet so I haven't tested it.

Edited by romeokilo

I use track ir and I've never had any issues with it tracking because of the light from the projector.

The only issue is finding somewhere to mount the camera, as it usually sits on top of a monitor. Now it sits on my glare shield, next to the UFC, about at eye level.

That was an issue with the ball cap mount, due to the way the IR reflectors are mounted to it, it needs to be above the ball cap looking down somewhat.

Its not a problem with the track clip, which I use but don't really want to.

I've actually bought one of those 'tacticool operator' multicam ball caps that are covered in excessive amounts of velcro.

Plan was to by some 'tacticool' IR reflective IFF tape that has velcro backing, cut it into small squares then stick them on the hat so they are spaced wider apart than the track ir provided ball cap mount.

I think that will fix it, but I haven't got my pit running yet so I haven't tested it.

Thanks for the response! I saw some pics of your A-10C pit. Fantastic work! Yeah, I tested the TIR5 camera (without the projector which hasn't arrived yet) down on my instrument panel and had the problem you mention when raising my head a bit (and the reflectors on the hat going out of camera view.) With the camera mounted high, it works perfectly. Just curious if I'll have the same results as you when the projector is emitting all that light, in view of the TIR camera. Would you mind posting a pic of how you're projector is mounted in relation to your TIR camera? If not, no worries.

Thanks, again.

No pics at the moment because its completely disassembled.

My projector is roof mounted, pointed right at the track ir camera.

Looking at the track ir software in camera view, it does not even register it at all.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I too was using a projector and trackIR. There was no impact from the projectors light. The camera was mounted 4 feet away just to one side of centre so it didn't directly interfere with my view of the screen.

If you need more info on the projector for gaming you could try "Projector Central". Its an excellent resource.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals