Su-27 trim + FFB

Eldur

It's been quite a while now since the Flanker finally got a decent FM, but I took it for a spin today again and noticed the same issue I noticed right at it's release still being present.

If you use an FFB stick (MS FFB2 here), you can't trim the plane straight, even at full nose down trim it will lift the nose and needs constant pitch down on the stick, which practically means you're "playing" in the ~ 80% - 100% stick forward area all the time. Basically this renders the plane close to unflyable, at least it's no joy... didn't test the Su-33 though, too scared about it fsgrin.png

Track attached, I guess the devs can see the stick inputs there. Please don't blame my non-existent SA, doesn't end well for the airframe rdlaugh.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I think this has been an issue for a long time now. Try disabling FFB for the Su-27, that seems to fix it for a number of people.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Yes flying Su-27 without FFB (with my xbox controller f.e.) is ok. But it's not easy task to ask a FFB owner to fly without it....

With time I got used to this FFB "bug" with Su-27 ..... When entering a mission with Su-27 allready airborne, I push stick forward while I clic "enter cockpit" or I get a "cobra" and wings can tear off if speed is high.

The trim is a joke, IMO. You can trim level until close to transonic, then there's not enough trim... but you can activate auto pilot, which levels it out... makes little sense to me.

Furthermore, the trim adjustments are too large, and you end up oscillating... unless there's a trick to it I don't know. Suffice it to say, it's not an enjoyable experience. I wish it was more like trimming the F-5... just enough to let you know it's not a fly-by-wire plane, but not so much that it's fricken annoying.

If you use an FFB stick (MS FFB2 here), you can't trim the plane straight, even at full nose down trim it will lift the nose and needs constant pitch down on the stick, which practically means you're "playing" in the ~ 80% - 100% stick forward area all the time. Basically this renders the plane close to unflyable, at least it's no joy... didn't test the Su-33 though, too scared about it

Do you have curves on your inputs ?

MS FFB2 here too, and the trim works fine - as long as you don't have curves on your controls.

Been said a million times on the boards....

Cheers.

Weta43, your question is not for me.... but personnally : no curves in any input, X/Y force axis swapped. (and everything regarding axis or trim or force feedback is working normally)

Problem is not trim not working, problem (if no mistake ?) is that with full trim forward the flanker is still pulling nose up (but maybe there is a "hidden" trim mask applied ? like takeoff trim for F-18 f.e.).

On the side, the flanker has an angular scale drawn just front of control surface. With full forward trim and looking this scale with F2 lateral view, if you let the stick alone, the control surface is showing some degrees downward : so logically the flanker is pointing nose up.

To keep zero angle of control surface you have, in addition to full forward trim, to push stick little more forward.

To me it's not unflyable, but not normal. BTW this could be normal if I'm not aware of things like "trim mask or programm" that I should disable ??

EDIT : but if there was a problem with some "trim programm" applied, this problem would also exists for no FFB device... but it's not.

Edited by toutenglisse
in post