Is Thrustmaster dropping the ball?

.......or has the market for flight sim controllers gotten that small? We have the F-18 replacement stick coming out for the Warthog, but apparently no throttle in the works.

Also they never came out with a stand-alone of the cougar throttle, so it could be paired with the stand-alone stick, which is just a repop of the Cougar stick as it is. It seems to me they could just as easily do the same for the Cougar throttle, the tooling is already done.

With the new rudder pedals coming out, they obviously see some market potential overall, and BMS is still popular, with a DCS F-16 in the pipeline as well IIRC. Not even a hint of a Warthog/Cougar quality "universal" throttle as a catch-all.

All this after the initial hype of the Warthog being the first in a line of modular flight sim gear.

It's a mystery to me.

Some 3d-printable plans and a manual how to assemble it ( and what else to order ) what be ok too. Given that you have access to a good 3d-printer

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

.......or has the market for flight sim controllers gotten that small?

Keep in mind that only a fraction of the flight sim users is able to afford a high end hotas. TM has released new models, but they are aimed towards more price-concious buyers.

Also they never came out with a stand-alone of the cougar throttle, so it could be paired with the stand-alone stick, which is just a repop of the Cougar stick as it is. It seems to me they could just as easily do the same for the Cougar throttle, the tooling is already done.

It's not so easy, the Cougar throttle works together with an advanced processor on the Stick´s base .. the Warthog is a much dumber Hotas, where the processor was replaced by a Target driver that runs on the PC instead of on the Hotas.

Thats why I cling to my Cougar rather than replace it with a Warthog .. newer isnt always better :)

All this after the initial hype of the Warthog being the first in a line of modular flight sim gear.

The same was said of the Cougar, when I purchased mine on 2003 it was suposed to be getting "soon" an F-15 replaceable handle for the stick ... never to be released. Pity :(

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I wish they would make another TQS style throttle. Update the mechanics and bearings. The haptic was superior with the throttle quadrant system.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

To be honest, with no Hornet throttle to go with it, I can't really justify the cost of purchasing the Hornet stick to go on my Warthog after all the mapping and such is already done on the existing stick. I think that may be a common thought, and will hurt sales. With a matching throttle, it would be way more tempting. Having the throttle and stick map 1:1 to the A10C was a major selling point for me on the Warthog.

The bottom line is that TM has, historically, found a much better market in the racing sim world.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The bottom line is that TM has, historically, found a much better market in the racing sim world.

Just a much bigger market, even I have a their T300 and ferrari alcantara wheel. If the market was there we would already have FFB sticks.

I would be happy to pay 1000 for a good FFB stick. I'm was even considering a brunner joystick if the software was ready at €1.249, no date when the software will be, it is in development apparently, going off the sales guy I emailed.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

According to the roadmap posters shown on e3, they have something planned for 2019, we will see if that's another hotas or just a stick.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Several months back, waaaay before the rudder reveal I post some messages about what is waiting for us regarding Thrustmaster products. I linked an interview done during their anniversary event from one of the top official at TM.

As some1 told, something else is coming for serious flight simmers. At least, something was in their books at the time of the interview. Let's keep faith.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Better quality control would help some. Just knock off the flashing.

We shouldn't have to take apart a brand new stick that's not that cheap.

Another point. Has anyone felt the stick in a real A-10? Is it as stiff as the WH? Everything in the WH is supposed to true to how the real stick feels. Switches etc.

Buzz

Is Thrustmaster dropping the ball? Well if you seen the inside of your warthog you hope they do drop the ball. What a piece of plastic junk this stick is. The only reason i still have it is because i dont have the money to buy one from the other brands yet.

g8PjVMw.png

Is Thrustmaster dropping the ball? Well if you seen the inside of your warthog you hope they do drop the ball. What a piece of plastic junk this stick is. The only reason i still have it is because i dont have the money to buy one from the other brands yet.

If you think that's junk, the worst I ever experienced was a opening up a Mad Catz steering wheel to find that instead of springs it utilized a textile elastic band, like those found in underwear. No joke.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

If you think that's junk, the worst I ever experienced was a opening up a Mad Catz steering wheel to find that instead of springs it utilized a textile elastic band, like those found in underwear. No joke.

LoL ! :cry:

That actually works quite well in high end yokes:

But I can imagine the execution of this concept in a cheap non-FFB steering wheel from Madcatz/Saitek was less than stellar.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

The buttons and action of TM WH is pretty good. I've never had issues with stiction so I can't attest to that being problem. I understand from folks like dburne that quality of the gimbal was worse in later productions. But again, it's a sample size of one. But if you see the 1,500+ who have TM WH in DCS, the number of complaints is pretty small.

When I did open up the joystick, the wiring and the solder joint *was* cheap. Almost hanging on by a thread. It certainly wasn't what I was expecting considering the quality on the exterior. Would I buy it again? I believe I would. But I would consider Virpils of the world as well.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Got my Thrustmaster TPR yesterday and find them an excellent piece of hardware.

Coming from the Crosswinds, my standards are not low at all, but the perpendular movement feels fantastic and the heel operation suits me much better than the foot rest.

So in my opinion they didn't drop the ball completely, but a TM Warthog Mark 2 with a quality throttle stick and gimbal on the joystick would be very welcome.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

I shouldn't really complain about the WH gimbal. The two previous WH I bought had smooth gimbals. I received my third on yesterday and it's the smoothest one yet. It feels more dampened like they change grease to a thicker one. Zero stiction and as smooth as it could be. Still a heavy spring but I have the lighter green spring on it's way.

The throttle is the same way. very smooth and all switches work as they should. I would have bought a Virpil or VKB is they had been in stock. So far, i'm not sorry I bought the WH and saved the money. Plug it in and have it completely programmed for the A-10C isn't hard to take either.

We'll see what the future holds. I might be whining like a little girl in a month. :)

Buzz