Coms integration

Tippis

Now that there's some movement with this old module, I was reminded about a question I had from the very start, and which if anything becomes even more relevant now that it works for a much wider range of aircraft.

The module description says that the NS 430 “serves as both a communications radio, navigation radio, and GPS receiver”, which is all fine and dandy… but how? Specifically, how will that coms radio integrate with the existing radio systems (if at all) in planes such as the F-5, which only have one way to activate its existing radio, or in the SA342, which already has a radio that covers what the NS430 does?

From what I can tell, both from the binds menu and the manual, the com button is purely cosmetic at the moment (other than as a power button) since it does nothing. You can dial all day, but never affect or contact anything. But how will that work in the future? Will it be its own receiver with its own radio activation bind, or will it be a remote for existing radios, hooking into whatever system is already there?

• Like 1

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

i think no radio comm with it. maybe in the future

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

ok thanks. I may have messed up then and put the wrong frequency in my B channel. I haven't done that in a while. I'll verify tomorrow. It is an hour and a half mission I have been flying.

edit: I put in 138 instead of 141 which makes no sense at all. Good to know the comms in the 430 don't interface with it even maybe. I'll sleep better now.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

I think radio can't Be implemented in general 2d version. Maybe It works only with mi-8 and l-39 cockpit integrated ones that are connected to electrical and other systems. I do not have ns430 so I cannot test but It would Be interesting if someone tries

Just to clarify: none of it is integrated at the moment. This is already known and tested, and nothing in the manual or in the settings, or in any discussion on the forums suggests otherwise.

What I'm wondering is a mixture of “if” and “how” (with an implicit “when” tacked on) it will be — after all, the module description makes it sound like it will.

The thing is, such integration has to either treat the NS as its own separate unit with its own PTT and everything (compare the R-863/R-282 in the Mi-8 or the UHF/VHF/FM radios in the A-10), or it will be a remote to existing VHF radios (it would read off, feed into, or just outright replace the regular radio and you use the regular PTT to activate it).

The question then becomes, if it's the former, how will that work with aircraft that have built-in radio selectors for control- and audio routing, like the SPU in the Mi-8 or that fiddly little dial in the UH-1? If it's the latter, how will that work in aircraft that don't have VHF radios (e.g. the F-5 or MiG-15) or that only uses pre-selects (eg. the L-39). The comms integration sounds easy, but how will it actually end up working, because it's a whole lot more complex when you start to think about all the different ways the various aircraft have to interact with their radios.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

You are right: actual systems integration is complex and must Be managed for each module. But you are talking about future possibilities (uh-1, mig-15), while I'm asking of an already existent module (l-39) for which you have to pay 6 bucks. If the only difference between 2d pop-up and l-39 specific 3d One is that the latter is stuck in the cockpit and turns on with electrical, then I'll wait before buying (to Be honest, the module is sold as "early access"), Just to see What functilonalities Will Be implemented and how from here to when It Will become "release".

• 1 year later...
Hello, does it work on the F5E. and how do you get it going?

Yes, you open the 2D NS430 window using "LShift+LAlt+B", it gets power once the engine is running.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 10 months later...

Trying to use the com part in a MiG-15 - no chance to talk to the ATC. If anybody can help - it’s much appreciated!

Also, I can find no reference in the manual regarding communications.

Looks to me as the NS 430 (still) cannot be used for communication. Please comment.

I can find no reference in the manual regarding communications.

Looks to me as the NS 430 (still) cannot be used for communication. Please comment.

Correct, it is not clear if the NS430 will ever act as a radio in DCS.

Currently you can't assign a "push to talk" radio button in the NS430's keybindings and it doesn't (can't ?) capture radio input/output from the host aircraft.

The radio part will act as a receiver i.e. you can hear ATC replies on VHF (if you disable squelch) or ILS VLOC ID's but neither VLOC CDI guidance or VHF radio transmission have ever worked.

The script files are encrypted, so there's unlikely to ever be a user created mod to fix the problems.

AFAIK there's no technical reason why the NS430 can't act as a separate radio (see Simple Radio) but it's unclear if there's any resources/desire to add the missing GNS430 features - IMHO it's likely ED will eventually change the NS430's description and cite "everything is subject to change" but who knows, multi-crew is suppose to be coming to the Huey after 7 years ?

Tested in DCS 2.5.6.52437

Edited by Ramsay
Test the current radio functionality to see if anything has changed. since release

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Similarly, it should be noted that the NS430 also can't act as a radio navigation tool in spite of what the description says, and for similar reasons it's unclear whether it ever will. It has most beacons pre-programmed as nav points that can be used for GPS routing, but the radio nav knob and flip-flop, much like radio part, does nothing in any aircraft.

The NS430 only ever works as a GPS receiver. I would have said “GPS navigation device” but unfortunately, the GPS navigation is also broken and has been for quite some time. Still, it tells you where you are and it has a map… of sorts. Regular means of navigation will let you get to where you're going from there.

• 2 years later...

I don't understand it... on the module page https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/ns430/ it says in one clear bullet:

"Serves as both a communications radio, navigation radio, and GPS receiver"

Does the module in its popup form do anything besides GPS? If not then the sentence (and also others in the description) should be changed not to deceive the customers. There should be clear clarification what is and is not modeled. Don't get me wrong, GPS is fine, but I expected more from the description.

If it does offer anything from COM/NAV, it is not covered sufficiently in the manual. But it seems it really does not have any COM/NAV. 😞 But that you likely find out after the purchase.

Edited by virgo47
  • Like 2

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Channel 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

This is correct, no radio.

I bought it (both the module and an FSB GNS530 unit) for radio functionality (to provide a consistent interface across aircraft) and for the navigate to cursor feature. Neither works in its current implementation.

I've removed it from my pit.

Edited by Scott-S6

• 11 months later...