Hornet update?

Ragnar65

Thank you Wags for dropping bits of knowledge on us. I've been nothing but excited for DCS since the announcement of 2.5 followed by the Hornet, and you've been the voice of that journey.

Thanks ED, for bringing us such an awesome module, as well as getting us all under one roof clientwise.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone,

There are several issues that we could not resolve for a Hot Fix today, and still be confident in not potentially breaking something else. So, we're planning our next update for Wednesday of next week (13 June). We are listening very carefully to your feedback and have many good items for the next update.

We are also pushing to move the Hornet to the "Stable" version such that those that have limited disk space can remove their OB if desired.

Thanks!

Wags thanks for the update I am really hoping this week the you guys will push out OB 2.5.2 to Release version since that fixes my Stable Version Mission Editor problem. I submitted a ticket with all the necessary info to support and told them about the issue in the Stable Release that seems to be solved in the Open beta release. Even if its not the Hornet and the PG map at least all the other fixes.

Again thanks for such great work and communication with the community.

Wow, big list and work!

I wonder what's to fix in the pitch trim during PA... it works great other than the nose down thing which only happens if you put flaps down too slow below 200kts.

Wags are you going to be able to modify/fix the radar RWS by tomorrow?

Thanks a lot.

Gear and flaps come down at 250 or below which slows you down even further. Which is at the point when the nose starts dumping. Right now we've learned to add a lot of power below 200 and trim massively so that when you get to 140-150 knots you can stop from sinking.

Seeing how they added something for the PA mode, sounds like it should be there. I'm all for realism and not just let's skip it because we've learned to deal with it via workaround.

The radar work first round, I think is simple iff so that you can lock someone and notice if it's friend or foe. There is still more to come with the radar I'm sure.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Are we still getting an update today?
Based on Wags post on hoggit probably next Wednesday for IFF, not sure for the the other patches. Still hoping for today updates but I understand if its not happened.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Based on Wags post on hoggit probably next Wednesday for IFF, not sure for the the other patches. Still hoping for today updates but I understand if its not happened.

I think we can safely assume when he said 'next week's update' over the weekend, he was talking about the update they had planned for the 13th June (I. E. Today). We know they planned an update for today, and when he first posted about removing pylons on Saturday he said it would be in the update 'next week', and on FB he said IFF is hopefully in the same update.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10160568665675341&id=441639040340

I think we can safely assume when he said 'next week's update' over the weekend, he was talking about the update they had planned for the 13th June (I. E. Today). We know they planned an update for today, and when he first posted about removing pylons on Saturday he said it would be in the update 'next week', and on FB he said IFF is hopefully in the same update.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10160568665675341&id=441639040340

Ah yes, I hope you're right

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

.... And What about IFF ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? :/

There's nothing in the patch notes, that doesn't mean it isn't in there. If it did not make it in, then it is what it is.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

A day without "basic IFF" for the hornet is a good day ;)

IMO such a feature should not be part of a high fidelity dcs module. (or game mode only)

Couldn't have said it better. Thank you..

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now

A day without "basic IFF" for the hornet is a good day ;)

IMO such a feature should not be part of a high fidelity dcs module. (or game mode only)

You misunderstand - the 'basic' IFF is the simplest realistic IFF that the hornet actually has in real life, they're not adding in an easy mode, it's just the most basic one they could model quickly (the other places to get IFF info need LTWS or TWS).

Check the videos Matt posted earlier in this thread of the (real life) hornet cockpit videos - you'll see the basic IFF we're getting in action.

You misunderstand - the 'basic' IFF is the simplest realistic IFF that the hornet actually has in real life, they're not adding in an easy mode, it's just the most basic one they could model quickly (the other places to get IFF info need LTWS or TWS).

Check the videos Matt posted earlier in this thread of the (real life) hornet cockpit videos - you'll see the basic IFF we're getting in action.

In real life there are encryption codes that the friendlies must have entered to work.

The radar rws doesnt work ok, and was acknowledged by ED. I would rather see it fixed so i can actually see contacts than having the iff

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

That's odd, I was using the radar in multiplayer and in the instant action misisons. Aside from

not knowing who I am targeting online, I was able to lock up targets and fire.

But I think you are right sometimes online I know there are targets, but the radar does not pick them up all the time.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

They have never said they are implementing IFF codes - no other module, including the A-10C, has that modeled.

I was just replying to the "the 'basic' IFF is the simplest realistic IFF that the hornet actually has in real life" part that it isn't that "simple" in RL.

AFAIK it works like the FC3 and DCS Mirage "IFF". It will show you friends / hostile contacts based on the coalition set in the mission editor.

That is 100% easy mode and should be only available in game mode.

I was just replying to the "the 'basic' IFF is the simplest realistic IFF that the hornet actually has in real life" part that it isn't that "simple" in RL.

I meant simplest to implement for ED - all they need to do is make the lock box turn to a diamond if it's enemy, it doesn't need radar functions we don't have yet like LTWS or TWS.

I'm sick of all this hate on IFF from those who don't understand how it works.

Mode 4/5 IFF works very similar to what we see in DCS. The crypto code is loaded by ground crew before the mission, and as long as it is turned on, it works. I have flown behind Modes 1-4 in an operational theatre, and there's very little that needs to be done by the pilot for Mode 4. The thing to remember is it tells you only when you're looking at a confirmed friendly. A lack of valid response still doesn't mean it's enemy, it just means it's still unknown. Could be civilian airliner or a friendly who forgot to load it / has it malfunctioning. How you deal with that is a procedural thing (ie don't shoot until you're sure).

... and that is not how it works in DCS.