Flying with only one engine remaining?

DieHard

I usually lose an engine to it getting hit, if I am doing recon and get too close.

If I manage to get the fire extinguisher engaged, switch the crossfeed switch opposite, full engine power, and drop my internal ords load, I still go down. But I can go down in control. Problem is I still need to evade. I also get rid of my remaining Vikhrs.

I have gotten in the habit near known enemy I fly in Flight Director, not with the collective route mode switch engaged. AP Altitude Hold is off.

I am usually low, so there is not much time to react.

How the h$#* do I stay in the air to rtb?

Once on the ground in one piece, how the h$#* do I take off again?

I have never done a rtb with just one engine.

I did get back once and landed on my FARP with no hydraulics, and no radar altimeter. That was a fun trip and a lot of work, but I had both engines.

Usually, I don't get to my fire extinguisher fast enough, then the right engine is on fire. Then I eject.

I learned and fly almost exclusively on the various servers in Multiplayer.

I die-a-lot. DieHard just means I do not quit, and keep coming back for more until I get sleepy.

I only fly in full realism mode, always.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

First you should worry about flying the helicopter. Pull full throttle, get forward speed and maintain 130 km/h.

Cut off the broken engine as soon as you have helicopter under control.

Don't worry about the fire extinguishers. They should be automatic.

Only after you have;

- pulled full throttle

- established sufficient speed and flight direction

- cut off the damaged engine

- jettisoned stores

you should start worrying about crossfeed and fire extinguishers. Read the fire extinguisher part of the manual to see which light you should check to verify if the bottle has discharged or not.

I would do it in that order. Though I should refresh my memory from the manual before I start flying again in a few weeks.

Edited by Griffin

The duty "Fly the Helicopter" mean that you need to react as quickly as possible to the engine lost by reducing collective to reduce and stop the Rotor RPM decay.

The perfect procedure depend on the situations you are in.

Hover IGE --> Just cuscion the impact with collective, there is nothing to do.

Hover OGE --> Autorotate. If not able; Cuscion the impact, maybe you have the time to drop the landing gear.

At Cruise --> OEI Power and OEI Speed

If you are below 120/130 Km/h IAS (Lowest Drag speed) you need to accelerate keeping the rotor RPM under control, every RPM you loose here cost altitud to be regained.

When you reach a stable flight at 120/130 Km/h IAS you can try to lower collective, gain some HB (rotor rpm) and fly at Max. Cont. Power, protecting the working engine from a failure. Often the battle damages are not limited to just one engine.

When flying with single engine you can reduce rotor RPM too low by pulling too much collective and you will not get enough lift to fly. Reduce collective enough to gain normal RPM and then establish level flight. Other thing is that you can't hover with single engine unless very low on fuel. When you need to land at FARP you will need to first burn fuel to the minimum or learn to make a landing by establishing a very brief IGE hover only at the last moment over the pad.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

When flying with single engine you can reduce rotor RPM too low by pulling too much collective and you will not get enough lift to fly. Reduce collective enough to gain normal RPM and then establish level flight. Other thing is that you can't hover with single engine unless very low on fuel. When you need to land at FARP you will need to first burn fuel to the minimum or learn to make a landing by establishing a very brief IGE hover only at the last moment over the pad.

I have only done a MASH helicopter type landing like that Korean War Bell type helicopter landing in the beginning of every TV show repeat, as your last sentence states, twice. 1st time was with no hydraulics or low altitude radar---I just went for it and lucked out. Second time: I did it two days ago; was best FARP landing I have ever done. But I had both engines and no damage. Rearmed and refueled and took off again in minutes. That type landing is shown in one of the BS1 training videos using the runway and outer and inner markers.

Slowly learning the Ka-50.

Thanks guys.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When losing an engine, gaining speed quickly is essential. Apart from what previous users have mentioned, if you're still too heavy to stay in the air with one engine, press PAGE UP to make the engine(s) enter EMERGENCY POWER instead of the usual AUTO setting.

On my stream, in the Aggression of Georgia clip (check Highlights), I get one of my engines shot out and emergency land and take off making it back to base with the one engine left running. I think it's about an hour into the mission. I would've found it myself, but my internet right now is too slow for me to do it :)

My DCS stream

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Past broadcasts, Highlights

Currently too much to do... But watch and (maybe) learn something :)

One thing i haven't seen mentioned yet.

DROP WEIGHT.

IE, jettison stores, fire off all cannon ammo and drop your flares.

Yes, even the weight of the flares make a difference in the sim.

(know from personal experience)

For the rest, good luck, there better not be any serious hills to negate.

(how i find out about the flares??? take a guess)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

One thing i haven't seen mentioned yet.

DROP WEIGHT.

IE, jettison stores, fire off all cannon ammo and drop your flares.

Yes, even the weight of the flares make a difference in the sim.

(know from personal experience)

For the rest, good luck, there better not be any serious hills to negate.

(how i find out about the flares??? take a guess)

I think I take too much fuel!

I do jettison the inner loadout and jettison my remaining Vikhrs. The rest makes sense. If I am low on fuel in a jet, rtb, I always get light quickly as you state, everything.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If I have height, some speed and short distance to the base, I've always a chance to RTB with these directives written above.

But mostly these instructions won't work; I'll be glad if I can land the ground in safe.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

My tactic is to shut off EEG, and manage very carefully collective, with max Engine power.

much better compression, and able to hover.

but if you're doing it wrong, say goodbye to your last engine ;)

TASK / ROLES acronyms guide

Black Shark A.I. datalink guide illustrated (v1.2.4 Available on Wiki)

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)

...to shut off EEG...
Yes, great idea.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Not very clever I know, this has been discussed elsewhere.

Anyway, it works, for for a limited time. you can take off and land vertically.

i'm not complaining about how the hell i can RTB with one engine. :)

TASK / ROLES acronyms guide

Black Shark A.I. datalink guide illustrated (v1.2.4 Available on Wiki)

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)

FWIW, I'd rather shut off EEG and RTB with one dead engine and one charred engine than dump the whole chopper at the FEBA.

Another tip: If you've got too much fuel and only one engine to burn it with, fire up the APU. It doesn't burn fuel too quickly, but every little bit helps.

Other than that, the other tips mentioned hold true: Keep up air speed and rotor RPM. Ideally, stay far enough back so that you'll have minimal evading to do if you get hit. You don't want to be dodging SAMs and AAA at the same time.

The more I fly the Shark, the more I like to sit at standoff distance with a nice altitude, rifle off all of my munitions and then RTB. Oh well, I suppose this isn't too feasible in CAS and other missions.

Prepare for the situation.

1. Learn how to fly and land safely without hydraulics / SAS (Personally I never use flight director and "AP channels", but that is a personal choice)

2. If the mission allows it, fill MAX 75% fuel (adjust with alt-' before leaving pad/parking area). The lesser weight of fuel will allow you to stay afloat with only one engine.

3. Practice reduced power takeoff and landing with one engine only, 75% fuel and clean stores.

4. Practice autorotations.

When you are hit:

5. If you are high enough or have excess fwd speed; lower collective to maintain RRPM

6. Adjust fwd speed to ~140km/h

7. Jettison stores

8. Easy does it! For clearing hills, zig-zag up the slope at 140km/h.

8. At landing, maintain 140km/h for as long as possible. Stay above Effective Translational Lift, or ETL, min 40km/h until right before touching down.

9. If landing on an airfield or road, do a running landing.

Tip:

Do not shut down the damaged engine. Sometimes it may still provide a small amount of torque (I am fully aware that this is a questionable strategy if the engine is on fire...)

Do not use emergency throttle unless you ARE going to crash if you don't use it. Emergency throttle may burn out your only good engine.

If you are still going down, leave undercarriage up if landing with lateral speed on soft ground!

One engine demo.trk

Edited by KosPilot
Adding .trk

You can take-off with one engine by first sliding on the ground until you reach about 100kph speed and then increasing collective more and pulling nose up a little bit. If you have landing gear down this might not be possible on soft ground. By sliding on the belly you will almost certainly wreck Shkval, doppler radar and get some other structural damage but at least you will get home.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

When you are hit:

5. If you are high enough or have excess fwd speed; lower collective to maintain RRPM

6. Adjust fwd speed to ~140km/h

7. Jettison stores

8. Easy does it! For clearing hills, zig-zag up the slope at 140km/h.

8. At landing, maintain 140km/h for as long as possible. Stay above Effective Translational Lift, or ETL, min 40km/h until right before touching down.

9. If landing on an airfield or road, do a running landing.

I always start with jettison external stores and expedite remaining vikhrs immediately when I know the engine fail is permanent.

Please fix the KA-50 bugs :-)

Black Shark: Controller profile & setup, TrackIR profile, pit.

Warthog HOTAS: Lubing the stick and extending the stick.

Posts on howto customize switches in DCS &

Must-have mods for DCS World and KA-50 (mostly JSGME).

Casual couch pilot, watching capped.tv...