Clouds

Maxzouz

Yop pilots !!!

I would like to know if there is any chance to have nice clouds someday in DCS.

Like those in FSX. I just saw a RAZBAM video for the Harrier AV-88 and FSX clouds looks better.

In DCS (maybe I'm wrong) but you can't have multiple clouds in different altitude and they all looks the same.

I don't know if I'm clear, so here's the video.

I'm a big fan of the REX clouds they are great eye candy but I really have no problem with DCS clouds. They feel very real IMHO. I have actually experienced "the leans" or disorientation on an ILS visial transitio before. Sometimes the clouds in fsx can be a a little wonky when punchin holes through em. They do look great though, especially the vertical developed ones

Edited by smnwrx

Yeah sorry but I'm liking the DCS clouds a lot, when you're in the layer at least - it seems they render to higher res when you get closer (as per norm) - but they have real volume and scale - I've been messing with some aerobatics through them, over the last few weeks and I'm impressed.

In fact very impressed - I think they have been further developed in recent updates(?) - you can fly over & through them like mountain peaks & valleys - there was a time not so long ago when they would do some crazy rotation thing which killed immersion - not no more.

I understand what you're saying though - true multiple layers would be very cool - It would be cool to have all the usual cloud types to play with as well. From a distance they can look very generic at the mo.

I think the base level does vary a little if you give the cloud height / depth 'enough room', but it's still seems essentially one layer from anything other than right in the middle of it.

There is a big difference between rendering clouds in DCS and FSX, let me elaborate a little:

"FSX style". Clouds in FSX are basically photos of entire cloud formations. With system like this, you can have those amazing towering cumulus clouds that looks like whipped cream. There are few problems with this though. First, when overcast is present, it's shown as many clouds textures near eachother. This is not very realistic, since overcast in real life is more of a smooth cover than "bunch of sheeps". Second problem, system like this can't have any sense of volume, so if you fly into the clouds, you basically fly though that texture and that's it. You can't feel flying inside clouds, only see next texture in front of you.

"DCS style". In DCS (and also x-plane afaik), there are large numbers of simple "puffs" combined into large formations resembling clouds. With this, you can achieve some sense of volume and if you fly into such formation, it looks much better. Downside is you can't have those great looking photorealistic clouds since it's not photos anymore, but let's say "synthetic cloud formations".

So first style for the looks, second for the functionality.

Edited by GeorgeLKMT
derp grammar may be included