Swaying all over the runway on take off.

LtMacGowan

Everytime I taxi up for take off. I make sure to hit Left ALT + Q to make sure NWS is off, i slowly increase the throttle and start to pull back on the stick and the plan starts wobbling left, i correct and it goes even further right, then correct, and then almost off the run way the other way, i have to put it in full burner and pull up hard.

Am I doing something wrong? I thought NWS was only engaged by holding S, i even hit LALT+Q to make sure it was off before take off and still the same problem.

NWS disengage means the wheel is freely moving.

Don't do that! :P

Ok,, I am confused with that. I would assume you want the nose wheel to move freely when taking off (Castering). If you keep nose wheel steering engaged, that means as you start to roll down the runway increasing, or even decreasing speed, you would want the rudder surface to steer you. If you have nose wheel steering engaged at high speeds, every time you nudge the rudder pedal, you would also be turning the nose wheel,,, and you don't want that.

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing I'm not. I personally disengage nose wheel steering once I have taxied into take off position and get above about 50 knots.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

...I could be wrong...

You are.. ;)

You dont want the nosewheel to swivel on takeoff. Not in DCS anyway. AFAIK the disengage fnction is only used for towing the F-15.

Just leave NWS on and takeoff.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

Nose gear steering should disengage when the nose gear strut extends. NWS should only engage when the front strut is compressed. This could be part of the issue if NWS isn't disengaging properly on take off or landing. Still, I don't understand why a crosswind component has a relatively large effect on the F-15C compared to other jets.

Hmmm,,, so while your at 60- 200 knots and you need to adjust one side or the other with the rudder pedal, turning that nose wheel a hair or more does NOT cause unwanted sensitivity that seems to cause all that out of control movement? I will have to experiment with this now,, like I said,, I could be wrong,,, but I am trying to get it right,, thank you gentleman.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

To my knowledge, the nose wheel should not be moving with rudder input on take off unless somehow the front strut is compressed.

Also, you shouldn't be doing 200 knots on the ground.

My concern is with a crosswind. Even taxiing 30-40 knots, wind will push the jet left or right.

Isnt the strut compressed until you pull the nose up?

Isnt the strut compressed until you pull the nose up?

yes, NWS will not turn off until the nose wheel is off the ground.

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If your desired effect on the target is making the pilot defecate his pants laughing then you can definitely achieve it with a launch like that.

Umm no, the real thing has constant NWS when ever the strut is compressed. The only way to "turn" it off is by pulling a circuit breaker.

Both the A10 and the F15 do not have caster "free spinning" nose wheels.

While the A10 can turn off the hydraulic NWS it how ever is NOT free spinning.

image1.thumb.PNG.2a84122980ce8c356e430d5df19bf85f.PNG

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If your desired effect on the target is making the pilot defecate his pants laughing then you can definitely achieve it with a launch like that.

Incorrect... If you press the paddle switch on the stick it disengages your nws electrically, when the strut "x dimension" exceeds 16 inches the wow prox switch gets power and steering disengages, when the strut is fully extended the centering cam inside of the strut forces the inner cylinder and tire straight. Everything in that text message is right. Just remember the nws disengage and the pinky switch or oversteer switch are totally different things

Edited by Not_G

:dunno:

Still, no matter how exactly NWS works - the DCS F15 (with or without extended steering range) is very susceptible to crosswind - it almost immediately veers off-course on take off roll, and even slightest rudder input makes it very wobbly. I can handle this most of the times but I wonder if it's correct behaviour.

Avantar

My rig: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI; HyperX Fury RGB 64GB (4x16GB) 3200MHz DDR4 CL16; Intel Core i9-10900KA; Zotac RTX 3090; HOTAS Warthog; HOTAS Cougar; MFD Cougar; Track IR 5; Saitek Pro Flight rudder Pedals

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

To my knowledge and my experience (wich is not much belive me :p) you should be disconecting NWS when you reach about 80kt on rolling speed for take off and the same for the landing, engage NWS when bellow 80kt. In order to do this you must keep the NWS key pressed to keep it disconected, otherwise it will engage.

I think this is used for real operations and it works pretty well for me.

Edited by fyaruny

To my knowledge and my experience (wich is not much belive me :p) you should be disconecting NWS when you reach about 80kt on rolling speed for take off and the same for the landing, engage NWS when bellow 80kt. In order to do this you must keep the NWS key pressed to keep it disconected, otherwise it will engage.

I think this is used for real operations and it works pretty well for me.

I posted a long time ago about this very issue and then too there was a lot of different opinions.

A friend who piloted 767 and now 777 said the same as you. The nose wheel in the 767/777 disengages automatically after 80kts to allow for rudder authority. Below 80kts the rudder has no authority due to lack of air force.

We have to engage/disengage manually in the F-15. While taking off and disengaging NSW at 80kts gives very good control. It's the landing that offers difficult control no matter what you do.

In my opinion there is no doubt that there is some sort of steering control issue with the F-15.

Edited by fitness88

I posted a long time ago about this very issue and then too there was a lot of different opinions.

A friend who piloted 767 and now 777 said the same as you. The nose wheel in the 767/777 disengages automatically after 80kts to allow for rudder authority. Below 80kts the rudder has no authority due to lack of air force.

We have to engage/disengage manually in the F-15. While taking off and disengaging NSW at 80kts gives very good control. It's the landing that offers difficult control no matter what you do.

In my opinion there is no doubt that there is some sort of steering control issue with the F-15.

Yes that is correct, im not sure about the f-15 but even the f-16 has that part about the 80kts NWS disengage on take off on its checklists and the same goes for the landing procedures.

I get what your telling about the landing in the eagle, i have dificulties sometimes my self too :P

• 2 years later...
I am swerving left without doing anything, what is the best way to make it just go straight - any brake or rudder input and it swerves all over the place ?

Be gentle with rudder inputs and make big curves on axis.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria