speed problem

gdotts

Flying level...I can't seem to ever catch up to a B-17. I thought P-51 is faster than a B-17???

Flaps not engaged....

Throttle all the way up.....

Prop RPM -Plever all the way up...

WEP seems to do nothing....

What am I doing wrong?

fuel mixture????????

Please advise

Flying level...I can't seem to ever catch up to a B-17. I thought P-51 is faster than a B-17???

Flaps not engaged....

Throttle all the way up.....

WEP seems to do nothing....

What am I doing wrong?

fuel mixture????????

Please advise

Need a little more info- what altitude are you at? Is this a created mission or multiplayer? Yes, you should be able to catch the B17 with no issues. Is your mixture set to run? And do you have the carburetor air control handles forward? (That’s the two levers just above the flaps lever on the left)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The left carb. control lever (Ram Air) should be to the rear. Forward is Filtered Air for on the ground. To the rear is unfiltered Ram Air, and should only be used in very specific situations during flight, when ice particles might form. See the manual for a description of these conditions.

Beyond this, having a TRK and MIZ might help with determining your issue.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Do you mean max RPM on the propeller?

At high airspeeds, this will slow you down as the relative airflow will drive the propeller, and act as a speed brake. Try setting a max cruise power instead, 2400RPM and 36" Manifold Pressure.

And, since you didn’t mention it, I must ask... You did retract your gear..? ;)

make sure that your left side looks like this

https://i.imgur.com/RCZdz2r.jpg

than make sure when you are at 20k ft alti that your high gear of superchargers is engaged next to fule boost switch you have light indicator should be light up.

at 20k ft you shpould be able to maintain max boost which is 67inHg (manifold pressure gage is primary indicator showing the pilot how much power engine is making the second one is RPM gage directly below) you want 67inHg at 3000rpm for max preformance but engine limitation is about 5min for this setting 61inHg/3000rpm 15min

46inHg/2700rpm is max continous power or climb power

you should be able not only to catch up to b-17 you probably could buzz it preaty fast

check your landign gear

check your radator controls switches make sure that they are in automatic position

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

At 20k feet, your ram air filter should be full open as this impedes airflow into the manifold. At those altitudes you should see a 10lb boost in manifold pressure Your prop should be full RPM @ 3000. If your aircraft cant manage 300kts IAS on the dial at that alttitude, then you have something dangling in the airflow and its most likely your flaps.

Also, make sure (VERY IMPORTANT) that your supercharger is kicking in. If you arent above critical altitude, your performance WILL suffer. Critical altitude is that altitude where manifold pressure drops below MSL atmospheric pressure and you arent getting a full charge in the combustion chamber. Thats when the supercharger is supposed to kick in...and that is usually between 14k and 18k altitude. Could be higher depending on weather conditions. One last thing: unless you are flying in cold, humid weather and are anticipating ice, DO NOT OPEN THE CARB HEAT. This redirects exhaust gas into the intake manifold specifically to melt ice in the carburetor throat. This also drops your manifold pressure drastically. DO NOT OPEN THE CARB HEAT.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

critical altitude is when supercharger cant provide maximum boost anymore it doesnt mean that boost drops below msl atm pressure it means that supercharger for example in v-1650-7 cant provide 67inhg of boost for specyfic altitude.

p-51-d equiped with v-1650-7 critical alt for low supercharger speed is around 8k ft at 67inHg

for 61inHg it will be higher around 10k ft from this point supercharger at low speed in p-51 cant keep 61 inhg boost till 16-18k ft p-51 will loose power than high supercharger speed will be engaged moving critical alt to around 24k or something like this. Ram air intake is using plane velocity to creat boost at high speeds this boost gain is quite good

without ram air critical alt for 61 inHg drops from 10k to 7.5k quite a lot i would say.

below critical alt p-51's engine will suffer proformance due to throttling looses in supercharger system

p-51 will have less power at MLS that at 8k alt at the same boost level.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

critical altitude is when supercharger cant provide maximum boost anymore it doesnt mean that boost drops below msl atm pressure it means that supercharger for example in v-1650-7 cant provide 67inhg of boost for specyfic altitude.

p-51-d equiped with v-1650-7 critical alt for low supercharger speed is around 8k ft at 67inHg

for 61inHg it will be higher around 10k ft from this point supercharger at low speed in p-51 cant keep 61 inhg boost till 16-18k ft p-51 will loose power than high supercharger speed will be engaged moving critical alt to around 24k or something like this. Ram air intake is using plane velocity to creat boost at high speeds this boost gain is quite good

without ram air critical alt for 61 inHg drops from 10k to 7.5k quite a lot i would say.

below critical alt p-51's engine will suffer proformance due to throttling looses in supercharger system

p-51 will have less power at MLS that at 8k alt at the same boost level.

You're right about critical altitude, thats my mistake. Ive had the Mustang up to 40k feet and still have a few lbs boost from the supercharger before stalling. Anyways, the supercharger SHOULD kick in at a specific manifold pressure and specific altitude via a Bellows tube instrument IIRC.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins