VirPil WarBRD as Thrustmaster WH Gimbal replacement for TARGET users

SnapRoll

I’ve been happily running this setup for a few months now, so I thought I’d share.

Like many TMWH users I was also plagued with a sticky gimbal since day one. I’ve done a fair share of polishing and regreasing, but in the end of the day it was all rubbish.

I was reluctant to buy a new gimbal and grip because over the years my TARGET scripts evolved quite a bit and I just did not want to redo all the work for all aircraft once again, and I wasn’t even sure if the new software would be capable of similar programming like TARGET.

Also, Thrustmaster has given me excellent support (still under warranty) when some of the buttons were dying, so my TMWH was given a life extension.

In the end, all I wanted was a TMWH with a high-quality gimbal… This is where VPC came in…

I ordered a VPC WarBRD, an extension set, and two TableMounts once they were finally available.

First off, as expected, the quality of VPC products is excellent and I can recommend it highly!

My little mod was to drill a hole in the 9cm VPC extension and solder an 2m extension cable for the Warthog Grip so I could use the WarBRD gimbal but plug the grip directly into its original base which is standing behind my screen.

Pros:

+ TARGET software can be used without any limitations like before

+ Butter smooth center and travel

+ Angled grip position for ergonomics

+ No binding of WH-Grip and table mount when using WarBRD and the 9cm (10cm) extension

+ No problem for the stick to return to center from any position - no curved extension needed

+ No special machinery needed for the mod

Cons:

- The stick wobbles in the center when let go, but this is to be expected without dampening.

For those who are interested in using an extension, it is important to note that you have to untie the 4 screws connecting the vertical table mount arm and the gimbal mount arm so it can settle a few degrees downwards before you tighten them again. This will give you enough room between the grip (button) and the top of the table mount.

The wobble in the center is absolutely no problem since no one will let the stick just go. The only time I’ve seen negative effects so far is, when I was flying the Su-27 supersonic, hands off and on auto pilot and at the same time pumped into the stick. This would induce some oscillations. Other than that, there is absolutely no problem flying hands off in planes or helis with or without auto pilot.

SnapRoll

1.thumb.jpg.4bbbb20db926c805b590c98b34b97fa0.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.1efd1dcd28b79566eec29f9d7ea407f1.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.5187beed1f635cc983987c7e6904ee62.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.39f68d0f21e4843c9c8e2a7099414d1b.jpg

PC Specs: Win10, 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5CL30@6000Mhz, ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X, 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, LG OLED42C2, Pico 4
Flight Sim Gear: VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip with WarBRD Base and 6cm extension, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC SharKa-50 Collective Grip with Rotor TCS Plus Base, BRD-F1 Rudders(Su-35), 3x8"LCD 1024x768 with TM-MFDs, DIY dashboard with 60 buttons and 8 axis MMJOY2, POV-HAT(no TrackIR)
Aircraft: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14, F-5E, Mig-21bis, Mig-15bis, AH-64D, Mi-24P, Mi-8MTV2, Black Shark 2 & 3, Uh-1H, FC3, SpitfireLFMkIX, P-51D, I-16, Mosquito FB VI, Bf109K-4
Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, Channel, Sinai

Tech: WWII Assets Pack, Supercarrier

VirPil WarBRD as Thrustmaster WH Gimbal replacement for TARGET users

With the virpil software you can fool your pc (the target software) into thinking you have a warthog.

If you go on the virpil forum there is a post about this. Look for a post named “hybrid virpil-tm warthog” or something similar

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

If this is so you just can use the target software, is recommend ditching the target software and using joystick Gremlin. Easy to program and can do whatever target can do. Besides, you can switch profiles on the fly which you can't do with target

If this is so you just can use the target software, is recommend ditching the target software and using joystick Gremlin. Easy to program and can do whatever target can do. Besides, you can switch profiles on the fly which you can't do with target

I don’t think so...i looked into gremlin and it is promising, however i have a pretty complex target script which imports data from dcs (gear state, airbrake, cockpit lights etc etc) and programs keys or lights accordingly...unfortunately gremlin has not this feature (nor the import, which in target can be done because you use the c programming language power for that, nor the lights programming)

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

With the virpil software you can fool your pc (the target software) into thinking you have a warthog.

If you go on the virpil forum there is a post about this. Look for a post named “hybrid virpil-tm warthog” or something similar

Hi VirusAM, thanks for your reply, I was looking for this but could not find anything saying that there is a TARGET compatible firmware for a VirPil base, actually quite the contrary.

I know there is a firmware which works perfectly fine with a warthog grip, but it is not TARGET compatible.

Can you provide a link? Would be interesting.

PC Specs: Win10, 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5CL30@6000Mhz, ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X, 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, LG OLED42C2, Pico 4
Flight Sim Gear: VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip with WarBRD Base and 6cm extension, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC SharKa-50 Collective Grip with Rotor TCS Plus Base, BRD-F1 Rudders(Su-35), 3x8"LCD 1024x768 with TM-MFDs, DIY dashboard with 60 buttons and 8 axis MMJOY2, POV-HAT(no TrackIR)
Aircraft: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14, F-5E, Mig-21bis, Mig-15bis, AH-64D, Mi-24P, Mi-8MTV2, Black Shark 2 & 3, Uh-1H, FC3, SpitfireLFMkIX, P-51D, I-16, Mosquito FB VI, Bf109K-4

Hi Chief, thanks for your reply. The whole point was to not have to program anything at all, no matter if the software is equal, better or worse. I just put so much time into my target scripts that I just don't feel like to have to redo everything once again.

By the way, I can switch target profiles on the fly without any issues.

• 3 months later...

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

I have had some issues with trying to use Target with the Warbrd base and WH grip using the id numbers for the WH hotas. It appears that when I use target, I get both a TM combined Hotas and separate throttle and stick controllers (for a total of 3 controllers) so the button numbers are all confused and target scripts do not work.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

I have had some issues with trying to use Target with the Warbrd base and WH grip using the id numbers for the WH hotas. It appears that when I use target, I get both a TM combined Hotas and separate throttle and stick controllers (for a total of 3 controllers) so the button numbers are all confused and target scripts do not work.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Sometimes I swap my bases around (TMW, WARBRD, FSSB-R3). In order to avoid this problem, when open Target don’t just run the program, open the profile with edit then go through device selection/inclusion and save again before running it. If it still doesn’t work right, reboot the PC.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

• 4 weeks later...

So let me get this straight...If I am using the base and a Sitck but not target none of this is necessary? Just Plug and Play?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Sierra99

100% correct. I am thinking about switching springs to the heavier one, but have not yet done it.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

I think the joystick gets a new name so you have to copy your old WH profile or redo it (I don't recall which one), but it only has to be done once.

What about using the Virpil base and WH grip and flying the A-10C? That's all programmed in DCS and is just plug and play. What happens when using the Virpil base?

If you give the Virpil base the same hardware id (VID/PID) as the WH stick, and load a config file with the buttons/POV in the same locations, it is mapped automatically in DCS the same as a TM WH stick for all modules that have a config built into DCS.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys...someone with Warthog Base and Hornet grip could please provide the VID/PID value of that?

Right now i am still using warthog grip VID/PID and it still works....but i would like to use the correct one for the Hornet grip and cannot find it anywhere.

Thanks

Thrustmaster grips don't have individual VID/PID (VKB grips maybe), Warthog base controller is that have VID/PID, hence just set their numbers in ViPil base firmware for emulate a "Warthog base" and use what grip you want, even T50.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Thrustmaster grips don't have individual VID/PID (VKB grips maybe), Warthog base controller is that have VID/PID, hence just set their numbers in ViPil base firmware for emulate a "Warthog base" and use what grip you want, even T50.
Mmm...i understand...but then how the Target software can discriminate between warthog and hornet grip?