Hot-Refueling

0xDEADBEEF

Hi Guys!

I've always wondered and I finally dare to ask. Why can the Huey not be hot-refueled? I would only get an acknoledgement for my refuel request if the rotor is still. Isn't hot refueling common practice in the Helicopter industry? I would love to see the huey being able to do it!

thanks!

Beef

Turn the radio knob to intercom, simply opening the doors is no longer sufficient with the engine running.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Guys!

I've always wondered and I finally dare to ask. Why can the Huey not be hot-refueled? I would only get an acknoledgement for my refuel request if the rotor is still. Isn't hot refueling common practice in the Helicopter industry? I would love to see the huey being able to do it!

thanks!

Beef

yep hot refuelling is certainly a common practice, I can tell you its a thrill doing a hot refuel on a HOVERING Chinook, and just a tad windy. ;)

god I miss that job.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

I was in the USCG for 20 years, and on my first ship we used to do Hot InFlight Refueling (HIFR). The 210 class ship could only take on deck the H-65 since the HH-60 was too big and too heavy for the deck, so we almost always did our work with "TupperWolf" overhead. With the HIFR they would come over the deck and take the hose and then hover off to the port side of the ship. I was told it was just done for exercise's sake - apparently the pumps could only put out what the Dolphin used while hovering!!! Fun stuff!!

Also, the first time we did a VertRep with the Jayhawk was pretty funny. The H-65 does not have much of a down force for wind......so our three guys went out and stood there with their stick to hook a net full of battle fenders to the bottom of a Jayhawk and promptly got blown down by the hurricane force winds produced by the Sikorsky!!!

My last 10 years in the USCG I was at lifeboat stations on the WA seacoast, we worked with the Jayhawks out of Astoria twice a week. It was always exciting for me, being an aviation nerd and such. Sometimes we had some frightening moments, but overall it was fun in all weather to sit out there watch these guys make approaches to the boat and watch the crewmembers work with the flight mechs and swimmers without them ever saying a word to each other.

Sorry to railroad the thread with sea stories!! The hot refuel and rearm was a nice addition, and I did get it to work. Thanks for the tips!!

~S

• Like 1