Looking to develop a TARGET profile for F-16

AKA_Clutter

Hi,

I would like to develop a TARGET profile for the F-16 simply because I want to program vPress to talk and VR functions.

Any good text or profiles to detect a short press or a long press of a button.

Also, since ED did some direct mapping of functions to the HOTAS, how do you remove that so there aren't conflicts?

TIA

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

I could be teaching my granny here

But short press/long press function is available as a standard command with the programming editor, but not the TARGET GUI

The command is TEMPO and the duration for long press altered through that command

The editor looks a lot more complicated than it is in reality, although it is very choosy about syntax. Read the TARGET Script Editor basics and you'll get a good idea how it works pretty quickly

I'm just starting to make a profile for the Viper but it will take a while and I prefer to concentrate on Nav and comms so it won't be much use to the majority

Sgt Coyle will be along soon he knows way more than me and will probably help you out with some scripting examples

As far as getting rid of the embedded maps that come as standard you can just use the Clear Category command, highlight a box in the controller you want to clear and push that button

Your granny? No, but maybe your grandpa!

I though it would probably have to be through the scripting.

Do you know if you can start a profile in the GUI and then switch to the script editor. I know you can't go the other way around.

As for the embedded maps, when I looked Thursday night, I could have sworn they weren't under the TM -joystick column. They were last night so I think I have that sorted.

Thanks for the responses.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

I was thinking of posting a simple tutorial. Look for it tomorrow.

No way to go from GUI to SE AFAIK. Same for SE to GUI.

Looking forward to it.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

I think you can go from GUI to Script Editor, I'm sure I've done it in the past

It's not really a great approach as the GUI is kinda verbose, but if you are totally new to scripting then it will provide a template and you can take it from there, hacking the script around and trying stuff

I know Sgt Coyle isn't keen on it, but as I recall it's how I got started scripting. Personally I don't think it's a bad way to get started, although I do agree that once you get up and running with the SE it's just easier to start in the SE.

So make your commands up in the GUI then you need to run it. After you run it TM will make a script for it

TM hides this stuff away and the Scrpts are kept in Users/"Yourname"/AppData/Roaming/Thrustmaster/TARGET/Scripts (as I recall). You may have to use the Viiew command, at the top of File Explorer to click the Checkbox "View Hidden Items" if you cannot see the AppData folder. The Scrpits have the file handle .tmc, the GUI Maps, only used by the GUI are .fcf

I'd move the script somewhere else (or as a minimum rename it) then use the SE, if you don't and accidently open the GUI again and run it from there it will get overwritten with whatever is in the GUI.

I keep all my SE scripts separate from anything that was created by the GUI for that very reason

Go on, ask me how I know :doh:

Edited by Weegie

Why don't you just read a manual for Warthog Script Editor?

In GUI you can see a script code, copy it and edit. I did not try to go other way, but I believe it is possible. A piece by piece and you will copy some basic things, other more advanced things are not possible to move that way - that's why is better spend time to learn ow to use script editor.

Once you start script in TARGET you will have new virtual usb device - no need to re-move settings from DCS. Warthog joy and throttle usb will disappears for the time of TARGET script run on a new virtual device.

About F16 profile for TARGET. I'm trying to make my head around this but my approach is to simulate a real thing not to add some extras for use vr, etc.

I'm looking for information about F16 and I found in this manual from Warthog:

page 14:

RotateDXAxis(DX_X_AXIS, DX_Y_AXIS, 5) //simulate 5^ twisted side stick like F-16

Now I'm looking for real information about that.

Other thing I'm trying to achieve in TARGET is to have few switchable curves for for my F16 like it was in Saitek X65F. This It's easy, described in manual, but I would like to go further and do a dynamic curve and adjustable dynamic offset point.

I just wonder if someone haven't try to do this already?

Edited by Glow

F16C Target Profile for VR

If you want to just get up flying the Viper in VR instead of spending hours figuring out TARGET scripting and then programming your own profile, why not just load up HomeFries's (HF) TARGET profiles. He has just added the F16C to the list of supported a/c.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116454

HF has spent years developing these profiles, they do a lot and they support all the DCS a/c. He has programmed in support for Voice Attack/VAICOM, simple radio and other communication programs as well as support for VR. HF is very responsive in squashing bugs and bringing out new profiles when DCS launches new modules. He had the F16C available less than a week after the F16C early release. Also the profiles are FREE. I have been using them for years and highly recommend them.

YMMV, so I appreciate the fact that you might get more joy out of programming your own profile than flying DCS and of course you will learn a lot in doing so.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

I7-7700K, 4.9 GHz, Z270-Gaming MB, 16GB, 512GB EVO-960 NVMe M.2, 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2, 1 TB SSD Raid, EVGA RTX 2080ti, Samsung Odyssey Plus, TM HOTAS/MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Gametrix 908 JetSeat

GA Flight Sim

I7-5820K, 4.2Ghz, Godlike Carbon MB, 16GB, 512 GB EVO 960 NVME M.2, 2 X SSD, EVGA 1080ti, HTC Vive, 3 X 4K 55" TVs, 4 X 27" Monitors, CH: Flight Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals

TARGET has it's own GUI as has for some time. That guy's scripts are unnecessarily complex and you have to download a separate GUI. Better to just do it yourself in the TARGET GUI and tweak the scripts as needed. It's pretty simple actually. You will actually learn the controls and systems that way too. I have a standard layout for views, comms, kneeboard, track IR/VR center etc. in a layer that I use on all aircraft. It actually expedites jumping in and learning a new module. Just set the axis and go. You can alt tab over into TARGET and add button presses as needed as you train and learn the functions. It aids retention.

The TARGET GUI is also much more intuitive than DCS's native spreadsheet layout. If you have trouble learning the TARGET GUI you are going to have trouble learning avionics and systems in DCS in general.

Started a thread for TARGET SE with my script template and a link to a power-shell app I use for making TARGET Macro files.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=251972

As for making your own script, you'll be flying and enjoying the A/C faster than if you DL'd a ready made profile. You still need to learn the profile and that takes time. At least by doing it yourself you already know how you planned it, wrote it, and why it does what it does. HomeFrie's CTS is awesome, but Holy Handgrenades Batman! That is one involved diagram.

I prefer to keep it simple stupid, or is that stupid simple.

Edited by SGT Coyle

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

----------------

AKA_Clutter

This thread did start with a specific question for doing the F-16 controls setup, but has yielded me MUCH MUCH more information. I greatly appreciate all the responses.

I may give Hoe Fires setup a try, but I do like what SGT Coyle said. If I build it myself, I will KNOW exactly where the cont0orls are. I can also set it up as I like it and try and maintain some consistency between DCS modules, IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad, Elite Dangerous, and ,,, ,,,

Again, thanks for ALL of the responses and help

----------------

AKA_Clutter

As for setting up F16 specific controls; one of the first things I do is look at the Stick diagram in the manual. Try to figure out what controls there are to map and try to match them with the buttons on the WH Stick. Same with the throttle.

As for the stick, it's pretty easy. It's the same stick as the WH.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

As for setting up F16 specific controls; one of the first things I do is look at the Stick diagram in the manual. Try to figure out what controls there are to map and try to match them with the buttons on the WH Stick. Same with the throttle.

As for the stick, it's pretty easy. It's the same stick as the WH.

LOL. "Easy" is in the eye of the beholder. I do use the TARGET GUI and do use Macros but haven't used the script editor before or try to set it so that it would recognize the difference between DMS short and DMS long. It will be interesting to see how that is portrayed in the macro file.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

LOL. "Easy" is in the eye of the beholder. I do use the TARGET GUI and do use Macros but haven't used the script editor before or try to set it so that it would recognize the difference between DMS short and DMS long. It will be interesting to see how that is portrayed in the macro file.

The Macro, as I use it, only defines keyboard/usb codes/ DirectX commands to a keyword.

F16C.tmc Example ( Macro Keyword in red):

[color=#32cd32]//DMS[/color]
MapKey(&Joystick[color=#ffffff],[/color]H3U, [color=red]Display_Management_Switch_Up[/color]);
MapKey(&Joystick[color=#ffffff],[/color]H3D, [color=red]Display_Management_Switch_Down[/color]);
MapKey(&Joystick[color=#ffffff],[/color]H3R, [color=red]Display_Management_Switch_Right[/color]);
MapKey(&Joystick[color=#ffffff],[/color]H3L, [color=red]Display_Management_Switch_Left[/color]);

Associated Macro file Commands to be mapped in DCS in purple:

[color=#1e90ff][/color]
[color=#1e90ff][b]define[/b][/color]    Display_Management_Switch_Down                 [color=purple]DX14[/color]        [color=#32cd32]//[/color]
[color=#1e90ff][b]define[/b][/color]    Display_Management_Switch_Left                    [color=purple]DX15[/color]        [color=#32cd32]//[/color]
[color=#1e90ff][b]define[/b][/color]    Display_Management_Switch_Right                  [color=purple]DX16[/color]    [color=#32cd32]//[/color]
[color=#1e90ff][b]define[/b][/color]    Display_Management_Switch_Up                      [color=purple]DX17[/color]    [color=#32cd32]//[/color]

As with the A10C, you only have to map the DMS "UP" button to DMS UP in DCS. DCS will handle the long and short for you.

I'm using DirectX commands here, but those can easily be replace with keyboard characters.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

How does the GUI handle 3 position switches. I'm using the Flap switch and the Auto Pilot Select switch for the 2 AP control switches.

AP Pitch Control:

//Autopilot Select Switch *************************
MapKey(&Throttle[color=#ffffff],[/color]APPAT, PULSE + Autopilot_PITCH_Switch_ALT_HOLD);
MapKeyR(&Throttle[color=#ffffff],[/color]APPAT, PULSE + Autopilot_PITCH_Switch_A_P_OFF);

MapKeyR(&Throttle[color=#ffffff],[/color]APALT, PULSE + Autopilot_PITCH_Switch_A_P_OFF);
MapKey(&Throttle[color=#ffffff],[/color]APALT, PULSE + Autopilot_PITCH_Switch_ATT_HOLD);

and AP Roll Control:

[color=#32cd32]//Flap *************************[/color]
MapKey(&Throttle[color=#ffffff],[/color]FLAPU, PULSE + Autopilot_ROLL_Switch_HDG_SEL);
MapKeyR(&Throttle[color=#ffffff],[/color]FLAPU, Autopilot_ROLL_Switch_ATT_HOLD);

MapKeyR(&Throttle[color=#ffffff],[/color]FLAPD, PULSE + Autopilot_ROLL_Switch_ATT_HOLD);
 MapKey(&Throttle[color=#ffffff],[/color]FLAPD, PULSE + Autopilot_ROLL_Switch_STRG_SEL);

Using the MapKeyR (R for release) command for pulsing the middle switch position, when either the up or down positions are released. Works like a charm.

You have to use "PULSE +" in front of macro, or the command will be continuously keyed until moved out of position.

Edited by SGT Coyle

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

The Macro, as I use it, only defines keyboard/usb codes/ DirectX commands to a keyword.

F16C.tmc Example ( Macro Keyword in red):

[color=#32cd32]//DMS[/color]
MapKey(&Joystick[color=#ffffff],[/color]H3U, [color=red]Display_Management_Switch_Up[/color]);
MapKey(&Joystick[color=#ffffff],[/color]H3D, [color=red]Display_Management_Switch_Down[/color]);
MapKey(&Joystick[color=#ffffff],[/color]H3R, [color=red]Display_Management_Switch_Right[/color]);
MapKey(&Joystick[color=#ffffff],[/color]H3L, [color=red]Display_Management_Switch_Left[/color]);

Associated Macro file Commands to be mapped in DCS in purple:

[color=#1e90ff][/color]
[color=#1e90ff][b]define[/b][/color]    Display_Management_Switch_Down                 [color=purple]DX14[/color]        [color=#32cd32]//[/color]
[color=#1e90ff][b]define[/b][/color]    Display_Management_Switch_Left                    [color=purple]DX15[/color]        [color=#32cd32]//[/color]
[color=#1e90ff][b]define[/b][/color]    Display_Management_Switch_Right                  [color=purple]DX16[/color]    [color=#32cd32]//[/color]
[color=#1e90ff][b]define[/b][/color]    Display_Management_Switch_Up                      [color=purple]DX17[/color]    [color=#32cd32]//[/color]

As with the A10C, you only have to map the DMS "UP" button to DMS UP in DCS. DCS will handle the long and short for you.

I'm using DirectX commands here, but those can easily be replace with keyboard characters.

Just to make sure I am reading this correctly, for DMS up, I could replace that with ALT D, and and DCS would then determine if it was Short or Long. Is that correct?

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Yes.

If Display_Management_Switch_Up is mapped to L_Alt + D in DCS, and TARGET is programed to send L_ALT + 'd' when DMT UP is pushed: you will get the Short and Long presses. That's DCS doing that.

Now just to be clear. There is no DMS long press in the F16. There is one long press on the TMS. Checkout pg 38 in the Viper manual.

I hope that's clear

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

OK, I was just using DMS as an example. I think there was one in the A-10C but it has been YEARs since I have flown that. With this, I would not need to use the Script Editor. I think I will give it a spin anyway as I think it may be easier.

Next question. Can you use an editor like, Notepad++ to edit the SE files, do you have to go through TARGET SE?

Oh and another question. What is "Implement CW and CCW keyboard commands for the encoders!!!"

TIA

----------------

AKA_Clutter

OK, I was just using DMS as an example. I think there was one in the A-10C but it has been YEARs since I have flown that. With this, I would not need to use the Script Editor.

If you just use the WH as a straight DX controller, yes. As long as you don't adversely change your settings in DCS.

Next question. Can you use an editor like, Notepad++ to edit the SE files, do you have to go through TARGET SE?

Yes. You can edit these files with any text editor, but you need TARGET SE to compile and run the scripts.

I often have the Macro file open in NP++ and the Script file open in TSE.

Oh and another question. What is "Implement CW and CCW keyboard commands for the encoders!!!"

My war cry.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

If you just use the WH as a straight DX controller, yes. As long as you don't adversely change your settings in DCS.

My war cry.

Humm, not sure exactly what this means or the impact. However, I will play around with this and see what I can do. Typically I have used TARGET to setup profiles based on Macro files. I don't change the axis, but will swap the keyboard commands around some.

Thanks for all the input. Be prepared for more questions. :-)

----------------

AKA_Clutter