AIM7 max steering error circle size getting smaller when distance to target decreases

Rabbisaur

Well yes it should shrink with range as the closer you get the less time the missile will have to be making corrections to your aiming error.

Hi, not too close. If you lock a target 20 NM away. The max allowed steering error should be very small as there's barely enough rocket fuel for the missile to fly a direct interception course. When you are getting closer, for example to 10 NM. The max allowed steering error should be longer, and the time to impact if you fire now, for the AIM7 should be about 12 to 16 seconds. There's enough time for the missile to make the initial turn.

If you try it on F15 or F/A-18, you will see that at 20 NM away from the target, the circle on the HUD representing the max allowed steering error is very small. As you approaching 10NM, the circle become larger and larger until it reaches maximal.

You will see the same thing on F14 if you select AIM9. At 15NM head on, there is no circle in the VDI. But when you are getting closer, within 10NM, there will be a circle and expand until reaching maximal.

However, when you select AIM7 on F14. The circle that representing the max allowed steering error is at the maximum when you are 20NM away from the target. And start shrinking when you are getting closer. When you reach 10NM head on, Vc = 1000 Knots. the circle is at smallest.

Which I have difficulty understanding the logic. Therefore, I can imagine that this might actually be a bug.

Dear developers, please have a check on it.

Edited by Rabbisaur

Hi, not too close. If you lock a target 20 NM away. The max allowed steering error should be very small as there's barely enough rocket fuel for the missile to fly a direct interception course. When you are getting closer, for example to 10 NM. The max allowed steering error should be longer, and the time to impact if you fire now, for the AIM7 should be about 12 to 16 seconds. There's enough time for the missile to make the initial turn.

If you try it on F15 or F/A-18, you will see that at 20 NM away from the target, the circle on the HUD representing the max allowed steering error is very small. As you approaching 10NM, the circle become larger and larger until it reaches maximal.

You will see the same thing on F14 if you select AIM9. At 15NM head on, there is no circle in the VID. But when you are getting closer, within 10NM, there will be a circle and expand until reaching maximal.

However, when you select AIM7 on F14. The circle that representing the max allowed steering error is at the maximum when you are 20NM away from the target. And start shrinking when you are getting closer. When you reach 10NM head on, Vc = 1000 Knots. the circle is at smallest.

Which I have difficulty understanding the logic. Therefore, I can imagine that this might actually be a bug.

Dear developers, please have a check on it.

+1 :thumbup:

If the tharget is turning away from you the circle should get smaller.

Yes.But that has nothing to do with the fact that target aspect and TID repeater were not mentioned in Ops post.

I have no idea what he meant either;wrong thread maybe?

The TID repeater shows target aspect. Ergo, the target turns away, the circle will collapse.

Hence the question. I'm asking what the target is doing in the TID repeater because that may be the reason why he's seeing a collapsing circle.

I have noticed issue that op has posted.The closer you are to the target(regardless if it is head on or tail on) the circle shrinks

instead of getting larger.For maneuvering targets,if it is maneuvering away from you circle is getting bigger,and if it is maneuvering in to you it is getting smaller.

Opposite of what you would expect.

P.S:You do realize how we have read your post?..:megalol:

If you're not fast enough on the draw to understand the relationship of aspect on the circle, and the fact it's shown on the TID- thereby aiding in finding out whether or not it's an issue or not, I'm not given to be particularly impressed at how you've read anything. ;)

If you're not fast enough on the draw to understand the relationship of aspect on the circle, and the fact it's shown on the TID- thereby aiding in finding out whether or not it's an issue or not, I'm not given to be particularly impressed at how you've read anything. ;)

Who are you impressed with or not is your business,not mine.

You do realize that statements that we give about other people say nothing about those people,but they do say everything about ourselves.

It is good to know where you stand with people.It is honest.

Btw,you should have used PM,and not clog bug report thread with confrontational semantics,which serves no purpose here what so ever.

Or was the purpose to show everybody how smart you are?

The TID repeater shows target aspect. Ergo, the target turns away, the circle will collapse.

Hence the question. I'm asking what the target is doing in the TID repeater because that may be the reason why he's seeing a collapsing circle.

I said head on in my posts.

Directly head on.