Free Map

Ercoupe

I'd like that too:

GcyP6Rr.png

Nice Atlantic battles ala "Red Storm Rising" by Tom Clancy. Land and bases are available, a lot of water too...

That would be nice as well. Only problem is that we need more ships to get that Harpoon feeling ;) And unfortunately the distances are a bit long with 1:1 representation for ground attack missions that are popular.

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and DCS on separate Intel 665P NVME SSD

Dream come true, one of the best option regarding the current line up of aircrafts available in DCS and the future chinese hardware coming to the sim.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Honestly, a free WWII map would be the smartest move. If the free map should be anything good, it should be a WWII one. This would definitely drag some more people into DCS WWII.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Having seen all these wild guesses and comments about the free map in this and other threads I want to say one thing.

No matter what location or period it will be depicting, a free map should possess two major traits or strengths -

1. Visual quality

2. Performance

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Hi,

Why not switerland :) ? Lot of mountains, lot of fun.

Swiss people have already the F-5 and the F/A-18.

PS : I am not from Swiss!

IAMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12x 3.7 to 4.8Ghz - 32Go DDR4 3600Mhz - GeForce RTX 3080 - Samsung Odyssey G7 QLED - AIMXY

If WW2 then surely it's got to be the south of the UK (white cliffs of Doverl for the battle of Britain?
Already being done

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If WW2 then surely it's got to be the south of the UK (white cliffs of Doverl for the battle of Britain?

Battle of Britain is not just the White Cliffs of Dover, or even just southern UK. On "Adlertag" (13-Aug-1940) only Erprobungsgruppe 210 attacked Dover and the surrounding airfields. Other Luftwaffe forces were directed against Dorset, Hampshire and Thames Estuary. But places in the north were also targetted: Yorkshire, Northumberland, Liverpool, etc.

While the White Cliffs of Dover is the somewhat romantic location in the public consciousness for the conflict, it falls short of the scope and extent of the actual battle.

Now that I think about it we are mixing things here. If its a free map I don't expect it to be full size, but a small area. At least a small detailed area at first that maybe can be expanded in a payed module...

Cliffs of Dover for a Battle of Britain scenario! Why the hell would they do that? We don't have a single airplane that took part in that epic battle. No.

Korea? Hmmm....a bit ambitious for something that's going to be free. But I'm all for it. Screaming down the runway at Kimpo in my F-86 and heading north for the Yalu. Hell yeah!

• 3 weeks later...

Crimea might be the free map. Makes sense since they have plans to expand the caucasus region and its also the original region since Flanker in 95'.

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

Crimea might be the free map. Makes sense since they have plans to expand the caucasus region and its also the original region since Flanker in 95'.
+1 on this one although its too political? Or perhaps situation changes now?

I'd guess free map should not drain much of ED resources to make it and on the other hand it offers good gameplay for users. Crimea has been done in the past so probably ED just needs to convert it to make it compatible to current engine.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Interesting

Makes sense since they have plans to expand the Caucasus region (...).

Can I ask where did you get that one from?

I doubt ED will ever touch the Crimea region and make terrain for us, due to modern events and them being Russia based studio.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

For a free map, my guess is islands somewhere. Look at the huge focus on Naval Air lately. And we have an upcoming Carrier module.

My guess, Spratly islands or nearby that. Fairly easy to model, just islands with airbases mainly. otherwise water. We get to use US naval air. We also have "red" carriers in the case of the Kuzenestov/Liaoning. Plus Chinese/Soviet air. Be cool if we got more AI Chinese aircraft.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).