Increase smoke from SAMs

MRaza

Increase smoke from SAMs  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Increase smoke from SAMs

• Yes
    • No

Would it be possible for ED to increase the amount of smoke created by SAM launches and increase the time it takes for the smoke to dissipate?

Currently the smoke dissapates very quickly making it hard to find the launch site after you go defensive. I also think that the missile should create more smoke, in a lot of videos I see the smoke actually engulfing the launcher itself.

• Like 1

There was a mod that you could use before I that did just that so I know it's possible. The reason it's limited is I think it adds to the strain of the gpu.

Ah I see, I'll look for that. Don't know if it'll pass the IC though.

You can increase smoke from destroyed targets, but contrails and missile trails are a bit different. Smoke passes IC, but contrails and missile trails do not.

that sucks :(

This is a good example of how I'd personally like things to look regarding the smoke from Sam launches:

The question is not increasing or not.

Smoke must be realistic in intensity and duration. Be it little or enough.

Each weapon has a characteristic, and this must be implemented and respected.

I totally agree. If DCS improved this aspect of the game, I would love it that much more

Smoke hangs around a long time, dependent on wind, and eventually gets smeared over a larger area. Even this minor increase in particulate density is enough for the human eye to get a vague idea of the point of origin.

I don't expect ED to model that and assume they use a timer on the sprite effect that has a few modifiers applied to it dependent on some conditions. Having a choice between a crude model that has smoke 100% invisible after a few seconds or when the length of the contrail exceeds a certain amount vs a crude model that has all smoke as persistent, I'd go with the latter.

• Like 1

Would like to see:

Panavia Tornado

Panther AS565

English Electric Lightning.

I want it to be realistic. No idea if the current situation is realistic since I've never seen a real SAM battery in action.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

• 4 weeks later...

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Looks pretty much like what we have now in DCS. Maybe the smoke could dissipate a tiny bit slower, but otherwise it appears to be reasonably realistic.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

I think keep current missile smoke but make launcher smoke more pronounced and lingering to spot the buggers..

• Like 1

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I want it to be realistic. No idea if the current situation is realistic since I've never seen a real SAM battery in action.

Yup, it's frustrating to get fired on and not be able to see where it came from, as the smoke dissapates by the time I finish going defensive

• 2 months later...
True, but interestingly, the smoke trail isn't from point of launch but only once in flight.

If you are referring to the video(around 0:46), then it looks more like the missile is starting to pull a vapour trail as it gains altitude - and that lingers a lot longer than smoke(see at ~ 1:31 ) :) .

Edited by Alfa

JJ

If you are referring to the video(around 0:46), then it looks more like the missile is starting to pull a vapour trail as it gains altitude - and that lingers a lot longer than smoke(see at ~ 1:31 ) :) .

If you look closely (at 1:10) there is a flash at the moment the smoke appears. There is probably a different fuel used for the launch than there is for the remainder of the flight.

I don't know much about it but some possible reason are:

- Less efficient but cleaner burning fuel at launch to make it harder to find camouflaged launchers by air or possibly ground forces.

- More powerful fuel used at launch to get the missile to controllable speeds, again possibly less efficient

- Cleaner fuel at launch to prevent creating a thick smoke hanging around blinding ground personnel

- Maybe actually more power fuel used after launch that may be somewhat toxic or too damaging to the launching equipment

It's hard to tell as the video doesn't really show a long time after launch, but I would be surprised if the white smoke didn't hang around for at least 2 minutes. It doesn't feel like the smoke lasts more than 30 seconds in DCS.

System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans.

ASUS PG348Q. VKB Gladiator Pro w/MCG, X-55 throttle and MFG Crosswind.

• 2 weeks later...