Hi,

I've created a couple videos going into some detail about conducting CAS or close air support. I am testing the waters to see if there is a number of people that would like to see something like this continue.

Its my first attempt at making a Youtube video and my two videos do have a watermark until I see if others can use this info or even care to take their DCS experience to another level.

Thanks for your time!

Rifle.

Edited by RIFLE_JTAC_TRAINING
added video
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 7

My CAS (Close air support) JTAC Channel:  RIFLE - YouTube  

RIFLE's Discord:  https://discord.gg/cmDCrr4Z2g  

Publications

JTAC Bible (see/know chapter #5) https://fas.org/irp/doddir/dod/jp3_09_3.pdf

J-FIRE pocket guide (Don't do battle without it!)  BK2 (fas.org)

I find this highly interesting and am looking forward to what you are coming up in the future!

Two additional thoughts, though: 1. Get rid of that background music - it is distracting a bit. And maybe more important: for me, as a layman, you were going a bit too quickly over some aspects. For example, in the first video you showed check lists and CAS briefings, etc. to illustrate the comms flow - but it was not always clear to me which the corresponding items on the check lists were in regards to what the protagonists were talking about.

Or in the second video, that keyhole concept ... I could derieve the idea behind what you were talking about, but still, why "keyhole"? And what was that "V-Diagram & Keyhole CAS" chart about?

But to learn all about this stuff - that is what I am looking for. All the RL details, that we DCS pilots probably never heard of before, considering we probably only ever saw the JTAC comms menu in DCS...

But thumbs up! Looking forward to more!

Flagrum,

Thanks for your feedback! Loud and clear.

Keyhole, with one grid allows the guy on the ground to come up with "steaks" if you will right quick without giving everyone and their dog IP's or initial points. It helps the guy on the ground.

The V diagram applies to all cardinal directions of the Keyhole. Thanks for pointing that out. The base of the V would be surface and the top of the V is really skies the limit. In this case if people were stacked at Bravo you could pencil a helo at 0-300, A-10 10-12 and F-18s 15-16K feet. I missed that and thanks for pointing it out again.

Publications

I find these videos excellent. They are neither too short, nor too long, they summarize by concrete examples the control or routing procedures without entering into explanations that could be very long and boring ...

For my part, I am quite familiar with these procedures and I see these videos as a great addition to the "J-Fire" and "Joint Publication 3-09.3 Close air support".

Besides Flagrum I invite you to consult these two documents that are easy to find on the net, all diagrams in the video are explained in detail and all the steps of the 9-line too.

Vivement les autres!

Like I said on Discord, I think these videos are just excellent and I can't wait to see more of this stuff! :thumbup:

I've had the great opportunity to learn the basics of CAS and JTACing with the 132nd Virtual Wing, so these videos provide some first hand examples of how all that stuff looks like in a realistic scenario.

However, I believe there's a pretty big gap where the basics of CAS aren't really explained to DCS players (or the general public, for that matter). In that regard, these videos are pretty advanced in that they require a lot of prior knowledge to make sense. This is not meant as criticism, but if you would like to take it all a lot slower, and start with the basics, I'm sure there'd be a whole lot to learn for the DCS community as well, because CAS is such an integral part for many of the current modules.

In any case, great stuff, keep it coming!

Love this, and our next training Tuesday is focused on JTAC with rotorcraft (5-Line) in fact.

I would like to see some text on screen while the comms are running that shows which portions of the comms flow are being discussed or read out. It's very easy to get lost in it.

e.g. pop up a message that basically says what the pilot or JTAC is saying, and which portion of the dialogue it is from.

By all means keep on going, because this is AWESOME, and an often ignored area of tremendous realism that is available in DCS right at our fingertips.

Bravo!

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

I also gave you my thoughts on Discord already, but I'll post them here for posterity so they don't get lost in the chat backlog.

This is a great example of a simple Type 1 control. Don't take the rest the wrong way, I'm going harder on you because you're legit and you are going for accuracy. :)

GOODS:

- A-10 checked in with position and altitude.

- You were immediately directive with where to put him upon initial contact and Pt E passed.

- Didn't pass irrelevant parts of the Situation Update.

- Gave intent for fires, yes!

- Good Contact and Captured calls, proper usage.

- Good job actually trying to assess nose position in CA. I say F that noise because the interface is not good.

- "Kill everything, with everything, simultaneously" a man after my own heart.

OTHERS:

- Elevation usually isn't necessary for Pt E unless it is the target grid and out of convenience.

- Didn't hear A-10 pass playtime in Check-in.

- Lines 1-3 passed as "10" rather than "Charlie 10", room for confusion.

- We usually preface Line 4 with "Elevation" after using Keyhole in 1-3 to prevent confusion.

- Readbacks given prior to restrictions? Wastes time having to give them twice with more A/C on station.

- Tally might not have been proper if he didn't look outside the cockpit, unclear.

- "Hawg's IN, 360" with a maneuvering inverted aircraft that hasn't completed its roll-in and gone wings level.

Interesting Verbiage Differences: (not necessarily wrong)

- "Posit" vs "Position and altitude"

- "Echo point" vs "Point Echo"

- "Break" between N and E grids vs natural pause in cadence

- "Blocking" vs "Block"

- "Targeting pod talk-on" vs just "Talk-on" or "Sensor talk-on" (no VDL)

- "Egress West" (from C10) vs "Left pull"

- "Between 340 and 020" vs "Final attack heading 340 through 020"

- "Departing IP" vs "IP Inbound"

- "Hawg 11 Off West" vs "Off safe, two away"

Great work, man. I would say it may not be super accessible for people not already familiar with the execution template or the process, but you did what you could with the subtitle explanations.

You also don't sound super confident with the material. I recommend a few rehearsals prior to the next one so it sounds less like you're either thinking it up on the spot or reading it off a script.

I definitely want to see more.

Also, I didn't know you had a second video so I guess I'll have to go check that out too.

Guys thanks for all the data. NOTED!

@Yurgon. My intent is to break down the type 1 video in smaller videos so viewers can focus on what they need to work on or understand.

@fargo eventually I can cover rotary stuff.

@Chicken there are no issues here. We always said "cheat to win"! With that said Ill trim the fat, have my own words here and there. No 2 cas missions are alike as far as I am concerned.

For the "OTHERS" comment we are light years away from informing people sitting at a computer how to do the job when we were paid to perform these tasks and lives mattered. Over time I may find a way to have a "best" performance video.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and I am thick skinned. Ill try some other methods to do videos and if I find a cool and better way I may revamp my older videos if that day comes.

Cheers.

Publications

Yep, no worries. As long as the point comes across and everyone understands, verbiage differences aren't an issue at all, I just found them interesting.

Hell, verbiage differences and language barriers are one of the reasons you'd do a Type 1 in the first place, so it was probably appropriate. :)

Either way, this is the best example of this I've seen in DCS, so keep 'em coming.

1st video support and breaking down the type 1 control is up for those that missed it.

For your consideration. Routing and safety of flight.

Publications

• 2 weeks later...
Follow on in the series breaking down the Type 1 control. This super boring but informative subject matter covers the Aircraft Checkin and Situation update. When Pilot and JTAC / FAC-A Meet on the battlefield over radio and get ready to do business together. For your consideration.

Publications

Nice work bud, looking forward to the complete series.

If you don't mind me putting in my 2 cents, is it possible to give examples during the videos, I personally find it easier to understand concepts if I can visualize it.

Example, the Aircraft check-in video, lets say you put on the screen 2 or 3 aircrafts in different scenarios and run through the interactions between the JTAC and Air asset that should take place

Thanks

i7-6700K || 64 GB DDR4 || GTX TITAN X 12 GB || TM Warthog HOTAS ||

TheAwesomePedals || OpenTrack-Custom clip || Logitech G13 and G35

F-14 | F/A-18C | A10-C | AV-8B NA | M-2000C | MiG-21bis | Ka50 | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | FC3 | CA

Caucasus | Nevada NTTR | Persian Gulf

If you can build it why not!!!

Awesome,

Thanks for your feedback! WILCO!

Ill make sure to add such examples in the 9 Line video I am currently building. Let me try to answer your question here sir.

Scenario. JTAC is on the ground and two flights show up. Hawg flight 2x A-10C and Dude flight 2 x F-15E.

Hawg: JTAC, Hawg radio Check.

JTAC: Hawg, JTAC reads you loud and Clear, Say position.

Hawg: Read you same, we're 20NM north inbound your position at 10K feet.

JTAC: Copy, Block 8-10feet and anchor 5NM north of my position and call when established. (Alpha 5 keyhole example).

Hawg: Wilco.

Dude: Jtac, Dude flight 2 x F-15 read you loud and clear how copy?

JTac: Dude I read you loud and clear, say position and altitude, be advised you've got Hawg a flight of A-10s blocking 8-10K feet to my north.

Dude: Copy hawg flight, we are east of your location 16K feet, we'll be overhead in 1 min.

Jtac: Ack, Block 15-16KFeet and go to Bravo 5 call when established.

JTAC: Break Break. All flights, my intent is to grab air craft check in from you both, Ill give out the situpdate and then Ill issue 9 lines to both flight.

Jtac: Hawg send your check in.

Hawg: Hawg flight is 2 x A-10s established A5 blocking 8-10Kfeet. Full gun, 2 x Agm65, 2 x

GBU38, 7 WP, Sniper pod. Play time 1+30 ( an hour and a half).

JTac: Copy all, Dude flight send check in.

Dude: Dudes are 2 x F-15Es. established Bravo 5 blocking 15-16Kfeet. Each aircraft has 4 x GBU-39, GBU-54, GBU-16 and 500 rnds of 20mm. Sniper pod. Play time 30 min. Yo yo capable (yo yo is the fact the flight is able to send 1 aircraft at a time to refuel at the tanker while 1 aircraft stays on station to support)

Jtac: Copy all, From the top down call when ready situpdate.

Dude: ready.

Hawgs: ready.

Jtac: Threats in the Ao are AAA and manpads location unknown.

Friendlies are a special operations force OP of 7 men in overwatch for the past 12 hours. We've observed in the village a command post and several dismounted troops conducting check point operations against local villagers. Artillery is 60mm at our position, COLD. No hazards or remarks, ground force commanders intent is to destroy the command post and attrite as many dismounted troops as possible with JDAMs. Situpdate ends how copy?

9lline video to follow (the targeting data).

Cheers.

Publications

Jtac: Copy all, From the top down call when ready situpdate.

It's small stuff like this that's brilliant about the examples. I'd never have thought of this way of telling the jets in which order to respond, but it's so simple and easy.

Great examples, thanks a lot! :thumbup:

@HAWG63, that is a perfect example.

I like that type of examples because it is not simple. It is a difficult scenario (yes you might have to go over it a few times to understand it) that is close to what you will be doing in practice. most of the scenarios that you see in training videos are very simple and just repeat what the AI JTAC in DCS does.

what will even be more informative is if you would explain the situation and what the JTAC wants to do before hand, so that the viewer has an idea of what to expect and is not taken by surprise by the events.

Example

1). prior to the radio comms, you explain that there is JTAC on ground at this position.

2). explain that the JTAC is going to use positions A and B if he is contacted by an aircraft.

eg. if only one aircraft shows up, JTAC will give holding point A, 2 JTAC will give A and B, 3 ... etc

3). show the two flights approaching and give info (spd, hdg, alt), and then explain that in the radio transmission, flight HAWG will identify itself with the following line, break up the line and show how it will be different to DUDE.

basically i'd like to see each line in a comprehensive radio interaction analysed and explained with a shit load of different examples to show how that line can change according to the situation.

on another note, i know i am asking too much (and i know beggars cannot be choosers) but i see potential in this series

F-14 | F/A-18C | A10-C | AV-8B NA | M-2000C | MiG-21bis | Ka50 | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | FC3 | CA

Thanks Awesome.

I felt some of that was covered in the Type 1 video which is used as the foundation for the Type 1 series.

Once I finish covering the Type 1 first original video I will for sure address many of these issues.

Thank you sir.

Publications

I was only using the previous video as an example, I was trying to give an example of the information/knowledge delivery method

@HAWG63, that is a perfect example.

I like that type of examples because it is not simple. It is a difficult scenario (yes you might have to go over it a few times to understand it) that is close to what you will be doing in practice. most of the scenarios that you see in training videos are very simple and just repeat what the AI JTAC in DCS does.

what will even be more informative is if you would explain the situation and what the JTAC wants to do before hand, so that the viewer has an idea of what to expect and is not taken by surprise by the events.

Example

1). prior to the radio comms, you explain that there is JTAC on ground at this position.

2). explain that the JTAC is going to use positions A and B if he is contacted by an aircraft.

eg. if only one aircraft shows up, JTAC will give holding point A, 2 JTAC will give A and B, 3 ... etc

3). show the two flights approaching and give info (spd, hdg, alt), and then explain that in the radio transmission, flight HAWG will identify itself with the following line, break up the line and show how it will be different to DUDE.

basically i'd like to see each line in a comprehensive radio interaction analysed and explained with a shit load of different examples to show how that line can change according to the situation.

on another note, i know i am asking too much (and i know beggars cannot be choosers) but i see potential in this series

Awsome, I agree with you that much more information could be given in these videos, but these videos would last for hours. There are as many possibilities as scenarios and Hawg could write a book.

I think that given the density of the subject, several small videos such as Hawg publish for now, are better than a long and potentially boring video.

I invite you to watch the "Joint Publication 3-09.3 Close air support" referred to in the first video. You will find a source of inspiration and intelligence, there are many examples of communications and explanations of each step of the CAS. Hawg's videos illustrate some chapters very well

Finally, a little practice, the CAS is dynamic, there is a lot of improvisation. Impossible to go around all the possibilities in video.

[...] and Hawg could write a book.

Actually not a bad idea. Insta-buy for me. :thumbup:

There's "Fire Strike 7/9" from a British JTAC serving in Afghanistan, but I don't recall reading terms like "9 Line" or "GTL", "LTL" or anything that goes into all those details that would help us learn CAS or use it in DCS. Still a highly recommended book for anyone interested, though!

Okay, sorry, now back to topic. ;)

• Like 1

Awesomest,

I see what your saying now. Thank you sir! It is well received and I am confident all the following videos will be different in their delivery as I try to find what is received the best!

Levince and Yurgon.

Thanks gentlemen. I promise to work towards my 9 line video this week as family priorities got me away from the computer last week.

Yurgon, I will make a specific mission with regards to GTL and LTL's that will have no choice to discuss KEYHOLE and deconfliction options. I believe what I have so far ready for this video will really open up what people can imagine to execute safe and proficient strikes!

Back to 9 Line DCS screen captures!

Publications

All the best @HAWG63, looking forward to the new video soon

• 3 months later...

All,

I've fallen the way side with the Situation update and 9-Line video.

In other news after speaking about this loft or Toss technique with the F/A18C I smashed together a quick and dirty about what it is I am actually talking about. Sometimes I like to fly and not have to JTAC boys!

In this example we use terrain to mask our advance into the target area. By doing so we minimize our vulnerability period to almost NIL in this example. By making best possible speed we are able to LOFT deliver the GPS guided munition at a distance and we are long gone even before the weapons hit. Hope this helps.

JDAM LOFT/TOSS delivery for those that want to spice things up and.... Stay alive?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiSXg8c5UbQ&t=8s

Publications