Please, review the Tarawa!

galister

Hello,

The other day me and some friends were trying to set up a joint rotary + harrier mission out of the Tarawa, and we've ran into a number of issues;

A friend was using an Mi-8 and whenever he would spawn in the front 2 spots, he spawned with his rotors clipped inside the island. He wasn't able to spool up or pick another spot, as the spots on the Tarawa seem to work in a "whoever picks a spot first goes in the front" way, even if the spawn slots are explicitly defined in ME.

Because of this, there seems to be no way to take off from the Tarawa with an Mi-8 unless there's already 2 other aircraft (player or NPC) spawned in the front.

Previous reports like this have been dismissed referring to DCS's limitations, but ED seems to have greatly improved on their carrier-fu. Stennis can now spawn 8+ players and the AI will even ride the elevator down to the hangar after landing.

Could by any chance the Tarawa be brought up to be in line with the current features of the Stennis?

It would be nice to finally have separate parking, runway and helo spawn spots, and being able to spawn more than 4 on the deck. Having to spawn multiple ships or use the Stennis as a workaround just completely kills the immersion, and the purpose of having the Tarawa :(

Have the mission maker make the Mi-8 spawn in parking spot 3 or 4.

Also, Mi-8 isn't really supposed to be operating from the Tarawa.... So there is that. But in the vein of DCS's 'sandbox-ness' the above should help

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

What would really help would be for RAZBAM or ED force the helicopters to spawn on the flight deck where they are supposed to and not on the centerline of the deck along with the Harriers. This can't be all that difficult! It shouldn't matter whether it's a Huey or a Mi-8. If it's a helicopter, it should spawn on the outboard spots.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Have the mission maker make the Mi-8 spawn in parking spot 3 or 4.

Except it doesn't work. It disregards the parking spot settings and spawns front to back, in order of who takes the slots first.

Also, Mi-8 isn't really supposed to be operating from the Tarawa....

If we had Ospreys or Super Stallions spawning that close to the island, they would not play nice either.

Are the MI-8's you are trying to spawn, AI or client?

I have noted that you can assign almost as many aircraft to a starting spot as you wish. You only start to have issues, when they start to compete with each other for the same spot.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Client. We got it working by spawning 2 uncontrolled AI harriers (since they "came first", they took the 2 spots in the front), and then the Mi-8 clients spawned properly in spots 3 and 4.

The problem is that the AI harriers are wonky and make this super loud rattling noise 24/7. It's just a gigantic pain to set it up and use right now.

Ok. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

Client. We got it working by spawning 2 uncontrolled AI harriers (since they "came first", they took the 2 spots in the front), and then the Mi-8 clients spawned properly in spots 3 and 4.

The problem is that the AI harriers are wonky and make this super loud rattling noise 24/7. It's just a gigantic pain to set it up and use right now.

That's more or less what I was going to suggest.

Also, IIRC, if you have them set to uncontrolled, you can give them a task to use to start them at a different time through a trigger. Before that, they should remain dormant in position; ie no engine running or anything -- unless you spawned them hot ;) . Before they are triggered to startup and fly off, you can have a trigger remove them, and thus free up the deck.

I'm not sure why your client aircraft are not starting on position. I have a mission with two different Harriers spawning on spot 4 -- albeit a mission I only use in SP -- but they only spawn on spot 4.

I did have an issue at one time though. Because ME gets a little crazy with the Tarawa, bc you can assign many aircraft to the same spawn point, sometimes there spawn points get shifted around. Re-assert the spot where they are supposed to spawn, and check that they spawn on the correct position. At least that worked for me, but again, I've only ever run my mission in SP. MP might mess all that up, making the dummy aircraft necessary.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1