Speed brakes not working in latest version

dononelson

It seems like 1.5 since speed brakes have worked, but I thought I'd bring it up now for 2.x.x - how do we find out the build we're on??

Anyway, in a dive with no weapons, throttles to idle, speed brakes have absolutely no effect. I can try to capture this for anyone interested, but it's bloody easy to reproduce. Of course, the effect is worse with weapons - like Fred Flinstone putting his feet out on motor oil... nuthin.

I reckon you get the drift.

Don

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

My speedbrakes work just fine. No problem here.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

Anyway, in a dive with no weapons, throttles to idle, speed brakes have absolutely no effect.

I doubt that a few square meters (or probably even less) of speed brakes will have a very big aerodynamic effect on 11 tons of metal pointed to the ground..

Maybe it was rather wrong in 1.x

"Sieh nur, wie majestätisch du durch die Luft segelst. Wie ein Adler. Ein fetter Adler."

http://www.space-view.net

I doubt that a few square meters (or probably even less) of speed brakes will have a very big aerodynamic effect on 11 tons of metal pointed to the ground..

Maybe it was rather wrong in 1.x

If they didn't have any effect...they wouldn't be installed...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

It seems like 1.5 since speed brakes have worked, but I thought I'd bring it up now for 2.x.x - how do we find out the build we're on??

Anyway, in a dive with no weapons, throttles to idle, speed brakes have absolutely no effect. I can try to capture this for anyone interested, but it's bloody easy to reproduce. Of course, the effect is worse with weapons - like Fred Flinstone putting his feet out on motor oil... nuthin.

Don

The build or version number is on the bottom right of the main screen. The current version for both openbeta and stable is 2.5.3.22176.

- A few question, which version are you using? Openbeta, Stable, steam?

- What are the weather conditions? Ambient temp, is it raining, preset weather or dynamic?

- What Map are you using?

With the details you provide, I guess you can open the speed brakes but you are not getting the response from the aircraft you expected, is that the problems?

I just tested the A-10C in the open beta ver 2.5.3.22176, Caucuses, month of October 2018( date of the mission in game), temp was 18C. At 10,000 feet, throttle set to 75% fan RPM, level flight, no weapons, full of fuel, chaff/flare and gun ammo. Speed 261 and rising.

As soon as the speed brakes open, the aircraft start to slow down.

I set up a 35° dive;

- Speed brakes close speed reach 370 at 5000 feet.

- Speed reach 340 with speed brakes open.

Can you provide a track or tell us specific details like this.

Otherwise we will be playing guessing game for several pages.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Can you provide a track or tell us specific details like this.

This!

I haven't noticed any problems with the speed brakes in a long time. OP, can you give us some more info to work with? A track or a video would be ideal, but at least give a proper description. Otherwise I'm inclined to agree with the others, the speed brakes seem to be working just fine.

Are you saying you don't see them open or close or that they have no aerodynamic effect (or both)?

They open just fine - there is zero effect, even when flying horizontally. Hell, I can take off, at 95% capacity, with them full open and no effect!

Don

1. to find out what build you are on, just request an update. That will display your current version No. and, if that's not the latest, the version No. of the update that's available.

2. Do you expect the speed brake to have the effect of a drag chute? It doesn't. The speed brake cannot void the acceleration you get when you dive steeply. It does help you to slow down when you prepare for landing and it will generally slow you down when you are in level flight or descending at moderate sink rate. If you do't experience any effect, check your bindings. By the way, you should hear the noise of the speed brake when it's deployed. And of course, you have to hold the button until the brake is fully extended. If you just hit the button and then release it, the brake will only extend a little bit.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Hell, I can take off, at 95% capacity, with them full open and no effect!

And? Speedbrakes are only effective at high speed.

Look at the enormous effect a few inches of displacement of ailerons do to the aircraft

You are comparing apples and oranges since ailerons only need to create a roll moment.

Btw, a few inches of aileron deflection don't cause a noticeable amount of drag. Not even full deflection causes a strong increase in drag.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Speed Brakes

I'll give you a video if I can. For now, the theater is Nevada, altitude ~10000 MSL, IAS ~180, Core RPM ~90%, OAT (F) 41.

Build is 2.5.3.22176. No ordinance loaded. With full speed brakes, no change in IAS. Speed brakes retracted, no change in IAS.

As I said before, I can take off with 95% load or more with speed brakes fully deployed, and no effect on airframe performance.

BTW, this is on Win10, 3.2GHz, 16Gb, 2Tb, NV660GTX (2Gb), not the greatest HOTAS in the world, etc.

Don

Hopefully, this *.trk file will help dispell any doubts.

Doubts is not the problem. I don't see what you see. The only thing I could think would cause this is that you are on game mode not sim mode. Other than that the air temp might be the problem. This is what I mean by details. If You would have started saying the mode, I would have known I can't help. I have never use game mode in 8 years flying this module, sorry I can't help

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• 4 weeks later...

Air brakes work just fine for me. I’d suggest an install repair or check you are in sim mode not game.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.