Pitch and yaw on gazelle is "rolling over"

AtomMrav

Hi Gents,

This will be fixed in a next update, Thanks for your patience.

Yes! Thanks so much! She get's better and better! Keep the good work up Polychop!

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

Puh....tough stuff...so no FFB stick. I really get out of ideas man.

So I just publish again my settings and maybe you´ll try that again for a test.

First recalibrate again your stick with it´s own calibration software, then...

1. FFB option OFF in MISC SETTINGS

2. FFB sliders (STICK PITCH/ROLL) to 0 in SPECIAL SETTINGS

3. X and Y AXIS only assigned to the joystick, any other entries for these

controls deleted (if present)

4. for both AXIS set DEADZONE to around 5%

5. for both AXIS (X and Y-AXIS) set Y-SATURATION to 60%

Set DEADZONE and SATURATION only in DCS, dont use any Saitek software to do so (had many troubles in the past with microsoft sidewinder stick when using their own software to set parameters apart calibrating)

Follow Holton´s advice No2 (had this issue once in 1.5.8).

If no success try again CLEANUP then REPAIR (to do so a handy program to manage your DCS is Skatezilla´s utility https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

super easy to use

As we both have non-FFB sticks we should get similiar results, the guys having no issues don´t have any miracle software bought from polyC -

If you know a friend who has a different joystick, ask if you can get it for a test, plug it in and try with different stick to make sure your Saitek hardware is not borked.

I keep my fingers crossed - and please dont give up...you gonna solve the issue

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]my rig specs: i7-4790K CPU 4.50GHz, 32GB RAM, 64bit WIN10, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, SSD+

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, F5E, Gazelle, KA 50, F18C, DCS 2.5x OB

1) Yes, you are wrong. There is no such a option i "Special" settings for Gazelle

2. FFB sliders (STICK PITCH/ROLL) to 0 in SPECIAL SETTINGS

This is what I thought about. Didn't remember it was sliders, but still there.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

:D

Perhaps try backing up and then deleting the controller config files for the gazelle? I've had issues in the past resolved by doing that.

Warning! This totally broke the Gazelle even restoring the original file no longer allows cyclic/roll/pitch/anti-torque to work. Seems the Gazelle now gets confused between my combat pro pedals and logitech 3D Pro cyclic and collective input. Now seems to not be able to enumerate between the 2 controllers. Can go into general and set but Gazelle now broken big time.

No matter what I try no inputs are registered if you attempt to assign between the 2 controllers yet ALL other helicopters work fine, yes did repair and disabled Gazelle under DRM and re-enabled it and sill not able to fly or assign inputs and get input into the model. :cry:

<edit.

Okay I persisted and now have input from pedals and cyclic/collective pew, lets face it it's always one more restart and delete all inputs and start again, right. :joystick: :)

Edited by FragBum

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

This has been an interesting thread to read. I, too, have been having trouble flying the Gazelle in 2.5 after having gotten comfortable with it in previous builds. I know that 2.5 itself is not the issue, but it's been a while since I have flown the Gazelle and am just getting into it again now.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think the Gazelle flight model and gone through a number of stages.

I have had the module since release and initially the bird was very hard to master, but I did seem to get it under control. At some point there seems to have been an update and it got even easier to fly. Maybe I just got better, but I think the FM changed. With this latest release, though, it's a different bird entirely. I simply can't fly straight and level without a great deal of difficulty. I don't know if magnetic trim ever worked for me, but it does not seem to have any effect now. I saw a video on YouTube where the guy said to not use it unless you have FFB. I do not have FFB, so maybe that's the problem. FFB is disabled in the configuration.

From the release notes, it appears that we can expect a fix to a roll problem. I really have trouble holding a roll angle right now, so this is good news.

I don't plan to give up on the Gazelle, but something sure seems to have changed. Maybe it's more realistic, but it seems a bit harder to fly than it should be.

As an aside, either the HOT missiles are less effective, or my targets have gotten harder. I am trying to update an old mission to 2.5 and one HOT missile would take out a storage tank. Now, even after two or three hits the tanks remain after a bit of fire burns and then goes away.

Thanks,

Paul

Agreed, interesting read. There is definitely a different feel to the 2.5 FM over the 1.5.8 FM. I feel as confident in 1.5.8 as one using the keyboard for the rudder and collective can. In 2.5 it's a LOT different, and in general "twitchy'er".

To the OP, you are in 2.5 or 1.5.8?

-Jenrick

Correction

I simply can't fly straight and level without a great deal of difficulty. I don't know if magnetic trim ever worked for me, but it does not seem to have any effect now. I saw a video on YouTube where the guy said to not use it unless you have FFB. I do not have FFB, so maybe that's the problem. FFB is disabled in the configuration.

Thanks,

Paul

I need to correct my comments above. I rechecked my options and found that FFB had not been disabled. The sliders on another page were set to 0, but "Force Feedback" was still enabled in the options. Unchecking this greatly improved handling.

Paul

Something is definitely not right and it is easy to reproduce.

For example:

Trim the helicopter a bit nose forward, 5-6 short presses or so trim forward. Then manually hold the cyclic aft to neutralise the input, exactly like if you would have done a trim reset. The helicopter will keep pitching back pointing the nose further and further up as long as you hold the cyclic back.

The same happens if you use the magnetic brake instead of the trim button.

If you do a trim reset it behaves correctly.

I don't have FFB enabled. Maybe this is already corrected in a patch, but if so it's not made it into the currently released version.

The Gazelle is no longer trying to kill me. :P And it flies great. :thumbup:

I have recently done a clean Win 10 install and subsequent fresh DCS 2.5 install this week. So question is have any of the recently announced updates made it into the current version as of about 2 days ago?

If not that just means it will get even better again soon.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

The Gazelle is no longer trying to kill me. :P And it flies great. :thumbup:

I have recently done a clean Win 10 install and subsequent fresh DCS 2.5 install this week. So question is have any of the recently announced updates made it into the current version as of about 2 days ago?

If not that just means it will get even better again soon.

And all that long suffering time, trial and error wiped out by a clean install and subsequent fresh DCS 2.5 with the same FM. :pilotfly:

Glad you sorted it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]my rig specs: i7-4790K CPU 4.50GHz, 32GB RAM, 64bit WIN10, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, SSD+

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, F5E, Gazelle, KA 50, F18C, DCS 2.5x OB

And all that long suffering time, trial and error wiped out by a clean install and subsequent fresh DCS 2.5 with the same FM. :pilotfly:

Glad you sorted it.

Me too! I flew the Gazelle for like 5 hours yesterday taking my hand off the cyclic without fear it would roll or pitch into the ground, just because I could. :P

Yep now I'm back to being able to use mouse to switch stuff on or off just like it used to be but now the FM is even better, with more Gazelle goodness to come.

I am also back to no curves or dead spots and the Gazelle is a dream to fly straight and level and that's with AP off, it was always a dream to fly in any other mode, sideways backwards on it's side . :D :helpsmilie: :D

The other guys experiencing the issue I feel your pain, although I will point out that the Gazelle requires very very little cyclic input and because of that you might be very prone to pilot induced oscillation which might give you the sense of being twitchy. Even to the point if you have a centre detent joystick just overcoming the force of the centering mechanism might be enough to cause excessive input on cyclic, which of course you will need to correct.

I don't consider the Gazelle twitchy it's more like responsive and seriously less input is more control for the Gazelle (any helicopter really) so it might be worth dropping the saturation on X and Y down to maybe 40 to 50 % just to see how that goes and work back up as you get the hang of it.

If you think the Gazelle is twitchy try an R44 it's half the weight with just as sensitive cyclic talk about pilot induced oscillation. :music_whistling:

I got Gazelle too and is very hard to fly...A friend of mine that flies the Gazelle

in real life,told me that the flight model is totally unrealistic compering to the real thing.

I just hope for a Gazelle flight model update or something so we can enjoy this

great Heli.

Peace.

I got Gazelle too and is very hard to fly...A friend of mine that flies the Gazelle

in real life,told me that the flight model is totally unrealistic compering to the real thing.

I just hope for a Gazelle flight model update or something so we can enjoy this

great Heli.

Peace.

Hi Sir Gus what troubles are you having with the Gazelle?

For helicopter you really need pedals to operate as anti-torque control, some input to act as collective and of course cyclic. I know some people use keyboard but that is most definitely not for me.

If this is your first helicopter it can seem near impossible at first however trust me as you practice it will get better. Judging FM without reasonable controls might be unrealistic and flawed at best.

If you need assistance I and many others would be happy to help although it might be best to start a new thread as this one is specific to another issue it seems some people experience including me although I have solved it, well at least a complete fresh install fixed it.

As for enjoying the Gazelle I'd have to say the Gazelle gets a majority of my sim time it's quick but not the fastest helicopter, it's nimble and a lot of fun to fly. :D

Me goofing around in the Gazelle I fly all my heli 's like that. :helpsmilie:

Edited by FragBum
<typo>

@Sir Gus

''...A friend of mine that flies the Gazelle

in real life,told me that the flight model is totally unrealistic compering to the real thing.''

If that is so; would your friend care to elaborate in detail how it compares to his experience in the real thing? Ask him to register on the forum so he can lay it down ;)

@FragBum ....good to see you still enjoying some Gazelle time. My brother recently bought it as well so i can have a dedicated gunner now!

• 2 weeks later...

@FragBum ....good to see you still enjoying some Gazelle time. My brother recently bought it as well so i can have a dedicated gunner now!

I have always enjoyed it, it's just at times I may have used harsh language on her. :D :joystick:

Do you reckon your brother is up for being WO for me as well,.. :P