small things that make a BIG DIFFERENCE (List Yours!)

flameoutme

Sometimes it's the small discoveries that can make a big difference. In this thread, I'd like to invite flyers to list anything that you discovered or read about/ saw that really help make DCS even more enjoyable. Doesn't matter if you thought of it or you saw it in another post. Acknowledge that and explain why you like it. Try to give enough detail on what it is so the rest of us might try it.

Just to clarify, do you want me to list things that are good, or things that need work on? I think the latter would get a lot more attention

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I will go ahead and list one. In another post somewhere on the board someone talked about playing music when flying. I've been wanting to do that, but in such a way that it isn't a lot of work to do.

Turns out VoiceAttack has the ability to play not only an mp3, but a whole directory of mp3's. And you can tell it to play the files randomly.

There's also a way in VoiceAttack to have the song end quickly if you choose another.

So I have a voice command that says "Play Random Song" and it does.

You could have as many commands of song directories as you want, e.g,

Play 80's retro songs

Play love songs etc.

It's TRIVIALLY easy to set up. Choose:

Add the command, choose OTHER > Sound > Play Random Sound > Play random sound from a directory, and I like checking the "This completes all currently playing sounds" option.

Enjoy this little thing that is easy to set up and fun to bring into the mix when you want.

I love the fidelity of the aircraft, very much.

I do find the simulation of engines significantly lacking however, and the damage model as well. There is an update coming for the later, but I'd love to see the cooling dynamics (WIP) and especially engine dynamics get an overhaul to be done on-par with attention done to flight modeling.

I'd also love to see aircraft be paired into a sort of theater. For WWII, an Anton, Spitfire 9, Mossie (WIP), Gustav 109s and P-51B/C. No D-30s, Doras, or Kurfürsts. I understand another title does this, and I love it for that, but I cannot let go of the attention already done to DCS warbirds.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I love the fact that...

...you can use HOTAS-buttons as modifiers as well.

...the AI cannot finish their current ATC announcement, after they have died.

...unlike the other aircraft the Mirage simulates the fact that landing on rough terrain will instantly rip your aircraft apart.

...you can specifically select units in the F-10 Map for the ground unit view, if you own the Combined Arms module.

...you can use Lua codes for every unit waypoint in the Mission Editor.

...it is possible to shoot down hostile missiles with your own IR-missiles.

...every swastika in DCS is censored except the one on the medal on the German WW2 pilot's chest. lol :D

If you are running MSI Afterburner while in DCS go in and turn off ALL the monitoring except for the GPU temperature. You should see a 50-100% frame increase in VR.

This will be for looking anywhere around the map except for looking toward any airport. For some unknown reason the airports eat up framerates.

This worked for me your results may vary.

dot only labels for sure.

indeed, does help having that!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Small things that make a big difference. Sure, but I refuse to list only things that make a big difference into the positive, I will also give some that make the game less enjoyable, because I think we dont need to j*#k ourselfs off about how amazing our game of no other choice is and it would be even more amazing if we can find solutions to the problems we have.

Good:

It is very easy to set up controls. In fact I have never seen a game that made setting up controls so easy.

Bad:

For planes with afterburner there is no option to split the throttle curve into dry and ab. This is a major setback for everyone using a throttle with detents like the warthog for example. There should be an option to define a custom point on which the afterburner kicks in with a small deadzone.

Also bad:

While there is an official DCS joystick, the one feature that this joystick has over all its competetors is not really usable in dcs.

Good:

This game looks amazing. Even without VR just flying arround in formation is an amazing experience due to the detail and commitment to the visual part of the game. DCS is really really imersive. There are a lot of small and awesome details, like reflections to discover and enjoy in every cockpit.

Bad:

Speaking of cockpits, the shadows are way too pixalated and looking arround inside the cockpit breaks perspective and artificially stretches the structure to a level that looks completely unrealistic.

Good:

Sound. DCS has an amazing sound engine. Even tho warbirds could use a bit more oompf imho.

Good:

Open for mods. There are amzing mods out there. Even better that at least the A4 made it into F-14 trailers and teasers. Thats just nice. Also custom skins are a big plus.

Good:

While DCS is on the more "serious" side of gaming, there is also enough room for shenanigans and fooling arround like tunnel runs for example. Also you can land on a lot of things. There is a fine line to walk when it comes to pleasing the more hardcore players and leaving enough room for the crazies and DCS does this very well.

Ugly:

Spotting.

Su-27

More animations in cockpit systems and switches

DATA LINK already implemented in SP working on multiplayer

System Specs:

Windows 10 Pro x64, NVidia GeForce GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 Gaming 4GB, FX 8350 4.0 Ghz ( Cooled by Custom Cooler ), 8GB DDR3 1600 Mhz , ASUS M5A97 R2.0, x1 240gb ssd (Windows) x1 120gb ssd (DCS World) x1 500gb hd, Thustmaster T Flight X, CH Pro Throttle and CH Pro Pedals

The level of detail. I think this is the one thing that really draws people to DCS and keeps them here for years! Highly detailed (within current PC limitations) flight models, systems, terrain and buildings, which are getting better all the time.

I love the detailed systems modelling and having to learn each one on a new aircraft. I love that if I fail to turn my oxygen on I will eventually black out at altitude. I love that it is so difficult to AAR at night in bad weather while in a turn, that I want to throw my HOTAS through my monitor at the tanker!! But at least I can do that in DCS.

Sandbox World. A very smart decision (IMHO) taken some years back now. I love the sandbox approach ED has taken with DCS World. The ability to have any aircraft in any map with any other type of aircraft, yet you can control and limit all this as necessary through the Mission Editor, which makes what you can do in DCS just about limitless.

Variety. I love the variety of aircraft we now have in DCS and their individual quirks that you must master, as well as their different roles, abilities and limitations. I find them all a joy to fly, but for different reasons.

Community. One of DCS' true strengths. While they can't please everyone and there is only ever 24 hours in a developer's day, we fortunately do have developers that listen and engage frequently with the community in many ways.

The fact that DCS also allows for 3rd Party developers is a significant advantage and we can now see where this has benefited DCS & the DCS community (for the most part - not counting a couple of hiccups).

One of the best online communities around. Some very generous people have given freely of their talent and time to develop an impressive collection of mods, skins, apps, texture packs, guides, video tutorials and even aircraft; just to help improve the DCS experience for others.

In 10 years I don't think I've ever asked for help and been left wanting.

Edited by Phantom453

So I fire up my new Viper after setting up my controls and I'm sitting on the ramp in VR adjusting my default head position - looking around admiring the cockpit - and something catches my eye...I see my F-16's shadow on the tarmac and for the first time notice my virtual head/helmet shadow is actually moving and changing to mirror my exact head movements! swiveling, moving right to left, looking up and down...leaning forward...it was surreal and maybe that has always been there but it took me by surprise and made me smile as big as my brand new cockpit!

Quite possibly, the only reason I am here at all is because, back around the turn of the century, ED came out with the Su-27 Flanker and it could be flown under the Ukrainian flag. If not for that...

Talk about small things that turn out to be a big deal.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

These are the little things (or maybe big things) that keep me coming back to DCS (modern jets only):

- going through proper start up

- spawning onto the carrier and just looking out at the beautiful sea swirling past

- being able to start up/taxi/catapault takeoff/climb/top up at a tanker/fly to target/bomb/top up at a tanker/return/land on the carrier - all of this

- one important factor for me is playing online with others and especially using SRS. I played on a TTI US server yesterday that had like 40 guys on and it was AWESOME to hear they had ATIS, and everyone was on SRS announcing taxi'ing, take offs, landings, etc then switching to another channel which covered AWACS etc then over to another channel prior to target ingress and hearing other calls from pilots announcing their attack runs at different targets. Made me 'feel' like I'm part of a larger war. Was so good hearing two A10s announcing they reached a target (10 mins out from each other) and agreeing proper loiter altitudes for deconfliction. THAT is what flying online is all about.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

These are the little things (or maybe big things) that keep me coming back to DCS (modern jets only):

- going through proper start up

- spawning onto the carrier and just looking out at the beautiful sea swirling past

- being able to start up/taxi/catapault takeoff/climb/top up at a tanker/fly to target/bomb/top up at a tanker/return/land on the carrier - all of this

- one important factor for me is playing online with others and especially using SRS. I played on a TTI US server yesterday that had like 40 guys on and it was AWESOME to hear they had ATIS, and everyone was on SRS announcing taxi'ing, take offs, landings, etc then switching to another channel which covered AWACS etc then over to another channel prior to target ingress and hearing other calls from pilots announcing their attack runs at different targets. Made me 'feel' like I'm part of a larger war. Was so good hearing two A10s announcing they reached a target (10 mins out from each other) and agreeing proper loiter altitudes for deconfliction. THAT is what flying online is all about.

What server was that, sounds good?

Creator & Developer of XSAF ::An AI model that wants to kill you, and needs no help from humans.

Discord: PravusJSB#9484   twitch.tv/pravusjsb  https://www.patreon.com/XSAF  https://discord.gg/pC9EBe8vWU https://bmc.link/johnsbeaslu

Work with me on Fiverr: https://www.fiverr.com/pravusjsb

What server was that, sounds good?
TTI=Through The Inferno. US means TTI-West

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The fact you can fly! A fighter jet! In VR! I mean, come on! How awesome is that? :pilotfly:

Amen brother, preach it!

For me one of the little details I love is how far you can zoom in on objects like a R-73 missile and have it supermega-uberdetailed in close up. So cool. No way I could ever approach that level of detail with a plastic model.

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL