Frustrating Multiplayer

Matic_Prime

Hi all,

I can’t take it anymore so Iam asking you guys.

Currently Iam really really really frustrated.

I started to play Multiplayer now.

So far so good. I joined Growling sidewinders Server.

BUT it is impossible with these IR missiles. They hiding between every mountain with their IR missiles and just shoot you down. If you lock them with radar for AMRAAM they start running or evading the missile so easy it is absurd. Or a second IR troll is coming in and shooting you down while you chase the first one.

So how does the fun coming in anyway? Is there some kind of tutorial or tactic that I can apply?

I died approx. 10 times now without any kill.

Edited by Matic_Prime

As you said, you just started your journey with MP. Don't expect to be insanely good at the beginning, because experience from SP has absolutely nothing to do with MP. As you also noticed, people are hiding in the mountains, etc. It's normal. It's good to track your target without even locking it with your radar. This way your target will not have a warning about being locked. Also, don't fire immediately when you get in range, because it's just a waste of missile. Better wait a little bit, and then release your weapon. You also have cues on the HUD, when you are in range, optimum range, and no escape range. IR missiles don't give any warning when fired, unless you are shooting at an A-10 or M-2000C. Situation awareness is very important. If you know that there is no way for your missiles to connect, don't shoot, wait for a better occasion. I hope this will help you a little bit.

Hi all,

I can’t take it anymore so Iam asking you guys.

Currently Iam really really really frustrated.

I started to play Multiplayer now.

So far so good. I joined Growling sidewinders Server.

BUT it is impossible with these IR missiles. They hiding between every mountain with their IR missiles and just shoot you down. If you lock them with radar for AMRAAM they start running or evading the missile so easy it is absurd. Or a second IR troll is coming in and shooting you down while you chase the first one.

So how does the fun coming in anyway? Is there some kind of tutorial or tactic that I can apply?

I died approx. 10 times now without any kill.

What you experienced is experienced people being smart and playing to the strengths of their aircraft. As a new player you are an easy victim, but like everyone before you, you will learn from from every mistake, become more and more experienced and learn how to play smart as well. It's a process everyone has to go through, unless you give up too quickly. It's important that you always analyze what happened and think about what you could have done differently to avoid getting shot down. For this I really recommend to use TacView, which is a tool that you can use to analyze your flights and understand what happened to you after you have finished flight: https://www.tacview.net/product/en/

It helped me a lot and still does! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Tip.. you dont have to lock a target to fire and kill the enemy.

Just point the plane in the right direciton and fire.. The aim120c will after x seconds turn on its own radar an look for targets.

And regarding the aim9 then its pretty short range and easy to defend against by staying away from the enemy if you have problems.

If you have the aim9x then turn on the helmet system and then all you have to do is look at the target and it will lock and you can fire ( this lock do not warn the enemy you have a lock on him )

You might have to click the aim9x missile can change inbetween and the other mode one of them will auto lock anything you look at, while the other its your radar you are using..

Also be aware in the f16 that you are pressing the button where you can cycle dogfight mode

Welcome to the madness...

1. You need to develop situational awareness. So that means getting on voice coms, making sure your radios are tuned to AWACs, and working with other players on intercepts.

2. Most people fly low in MP. Either to stay off player radar or to stay off AWACs.

3. If your radar or jammer is on, you are telling everyone around you where you are (you show up on their RWR or radar displays). Use Human or AI AWACs BRA calls (bearing, range, alt), to get within engagement range before turning it on.

4. AIM-120Cs are only good in close (10-12 miles at best) on a actively defending target. Human players are much better than AI at cranking and notching, and the veterans can typically anticipate your launch and defeat it unless you are within no escape range.

5. For IR missiles cut your throttle to 0 and pump out flares. Coming out of afterburner isn't enough to lower your signature to help your flares work.

If you know that there is no way for your missiles to connect, don't shoot, wait for a better occasion.

Not always true. You spook them enough by making their RWR going apeshit could influence them to lose any advantage they make have.

Works with heaters too if they see it.

But, ya, it's a common theme for the diehard squadron pvp guys to pretty much fly NOE 100% of the time, skirting the hills, and firing high gimbal heaters at somebody as soon as they see you pop around a corner with the hmcs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Multiplayer is BRUTAL in the air quake servers.

You need to try to force the enemy to fight by your rules. If your beeing shot a lot in the mountains by IR missiles, then don't go there, or don't be predictable.

Also try to use AWACS to build your situational awarness.

Are there any quick single player missions to improve SA skills for MP? I know the best way to practice for MP is to play it, but it takes a lot of time to startup and fly to the bandits compared to the time when you are actually practicing to spot them before you get shot. I am not a fast learner, so I need an effective training for my situational awareness without the usage of any radar. Especially against those guys sneaking in the hills.

Best advice is to use Tacview to assess what you did wrong after each fight. As a rule of thumb you need to position yourself such that you are between friendly forces and the enemy, and you clearly understand towards which direction you need to disengage, such that you force the enemy to go towards friendly Aircrafts and SAMs. It seems a stupid comment but you dont know how easy you are so disoriented that you end up being isolated, fighting against several bandits, or fighting over enemy SAM coverage.

So start as easy as possible, you enter an enemy SAM zone, or AC controlled zone, you just go quick for an attack, launch and once you missile is active you RUN towards friendly zone again and you start building the SA again.

Are there any quick single player missions to improve SA skills for MP? I know the best way to practice for MP is to play it, but it takes a lot of time to startup and fly to the bandits compared to the time when you are actually practicing to spot them before you get shot. I am not a fast learner, so I need an effective training for my situational awareness without the usage of any radar. Especially against those guys sneaking in the hills.

In sp set up mulitple non hostile passive contacts in the mountains and use labels.

Join in a high flying fighter overhead and scan down noting how prf affects aspect and range, use medium prf to weed out the notchers. Take into account bandits range, aspect and build a picture, even those cold at 30nm. This will help you understand the mechanics of your radar and how best to find those hidden sneaks as well as get in to the practice of building SA.

When you feel it turn labels off and give the ai some teeth and then learn to do all that but with your head out of the pit.

Datalink is a lazy tool so easily available these days in DCS, it's a false comfort when trying to achieve air superiority so effective scanning is even more important.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

• ED Team

Multiplayer takes a lot of practice, I usually play co-op and ground pounding, when I go on a PVP server I get wasted also :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Good idea! I need to practice spotting bandits against the ground clutter, which is extremly hard for me even on shorter ranges. Maybe my 10-20 FPS are one of the reasons why I loose visual on them so easily.

You may also try flying on the ‚Just Dogfight‘ server.It has various areas,( 1v1 ,guns&IR,Guns only) ,plus you get spawned pretty close to the enemy(mostly even in air too,if you like) so if you just want to train its a good place to start.

It has optional labels too.

Regards ,

Snappy

If you want to learn, you need a good community. Growling Sidewinder is full of fan bois, and solo-ists. Why would they want to teach poker to the people they are trying to take the money of?

If you want to learn, a server that is built on community interaction and working together for ACTUAL mission objectives that are generated by the players in the game talking, and generating the ground and air game is the way to go.

Modern Cold War server is a great place, full of players that came from other multiplayer servers like you, but found working together, be it 15 minutes of flight time you get before real life obligations, or a weekend binge to blow up the opposing teams hopes and dreams, haha it's a blast. We all take the time to teach each other as well, whether you are new to the server or new to an air frame. They've spent hours helping me fly the F-14 and F-16, and I teach everyone I can the Mirage.

If you get tired of flying fighters, or ground attack, like I do sometimes, I just relax by slinging an invasion convoy of tanks, and AA to send into enemy territory.

There's something for everyone, and I can't stress the community part enough.

feel free to join us on discord and check out for yourself.

https://discord.gg/RNhCFg9

Respectfully,

Airogue