MAC (Modern Air Combat) Discussion

LCUChap2016

It will be interesting to see if MAC is open to third parties. I would think that it could be a very interesting platform for companies like Razbam, which have more 3D modelers than coders and a lot of very hot aircraft on their plate.

I would love to see that same open door policy to third-party developers be extended to MAC. Bet we could see some pretty interesting things.

Nope, it is not, it's for lower learning curves, and quicker to the action, and less about procedures and by the book.

I see. That means that will be just a arcade mode polished to be at Ace combat level or so. Killed my expectations :cry:

Well that is a fear right? Kindof like the 'simple avionics' for the Ka-50... the decision to have fewer button presses will also mean a major sacrifice of realism (and the modelling details/gameplay quality that goes with it) on the assumption that players who don't use clickable cockpits are people who wouldn't notice...

...that and fear of the abandonment of support for the FC3 aircraft...

I see. That means that will be just a arcade mode polished to be at Ace combat level or so. Killed my expectations :cry:

i dont know, while i spend far more time playing DCS, ive found IL-2 is a lot more fun. DCS is more satisfying in terms of mastering a skill. the IL2 planes are FC3 level low-fi and i find it a more fitting comparison in that there is some degree of historic fidelity. ace combat series (i remember playing it on the original playstation) makes no attempts at realism beyond the appearance of the aircraft...much like the Area88 comics from the 80s? 90s?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

Are there plans to have MAC as a service with different subscription plans?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I don't think that's where they're going with this. I could be wrong, but I believe they're looking at something that appeals to those of us who enjoyed Jane's USAF, EF2K, etc.

i dont know, while i spend far more time playing DCS, ive found IL-2 is a lot more fun. DCS is more satisfying in terms of mastering a skill. the IL2 planes are FC3 level low-fi and i find it a more fitting comparison in that there is some degree of historic fidelity.

I don't understand how people can confuse the lack of a clickable cockpit with low fidelity. The weird behaviour of Mig-3 flaps (fully retracting for a moment whenever the detente is changed) and things like the possible failure of the latch holding the cockpit canopy of the Yak-7 open to catch properly are modelled... a lot of aircraft specific idiosyncrasies exist in the systems modelling. The damage modelling has also been superior (although DCS is now challenging that).

true, but you also have "one set of bindings to rule them all" and no means of interacting with the individual controls....ie "no clicky", which is fine- ive got no problem with FC3 either

the point i was making was that MAC is likely to be a more streamlined experience while remaining historically accurate- like IL2, rather than an arcade game like Ace Combat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

i dont know, while i spend far more time playing DCS, ive found IL-2 is a lot more fun. DCS is more satisfying in terms of mastering a skill. the IL2 planes are FC3 level low-fi and i find it a more fitting comparison in that there is some degree of historic fidelity. ace combat series (i remember playing it on the original playstation) makes no attempts at realism beyond the appearance of the aircraft...much like the Area88 comics from the 80s? 90s?

Yeah for all intents and purposes the Ace Combat titles are action games with zero simulation. Still fun for what they are, but if the games were reskinned into space combat nobody will bat an eye.

If MAC has similar fidelity to the old Janes games however I would be immensely stoked.

Modules: F-14A/B | F/A-18C | M2000C | AV-8B | Hawk | L-39 | A-10C | C-101 | UH-1 | Normandy | Supercarrier

There are no such plans

Are there plans to have MAC as a service with different subscription plans?

Nick Grey explained that this isn't the business model they want to go for. (via Reddit)

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

To the contrary...

Well that is a fear right? Kindof like the 'simple avionics' for the Ka-50... the decision to have fewer button presses will also mean a major sacrifice of realism (and the modelling details/gameplay quality that goes with it) on the assumption that players who don't use clickable cockpits are people who wouldn't notice...

...that and fear of the abandonment of support for the FC3 aircraft...

Well, first of all MAC is a separate game, so simply no need to go there if one does not like it. Just stay with DCS for realism.

As for FC3, Wags also mentioned recently in one of the interviews:

"MAC – What’s the current status of MAC? It seemed to be a successor to FC3 and then just vanished. Is it still a thing?

We have a large effort behind MAC, and the scope of the product has grown tremendously since we initially announced it. Our goal is to create a true AAA product, but this has taken a lot more time than we originally planned due to the added game features we never had in DCS before. We are confident the result will be worth it and bring many people into combat flight simulations.

FC3 – Will we ever see an FC4? In addition, can 3rd parties add more aircraft in the FC vein, ie simplified systems?

What we originally planned as Flaming Cliffs 4 morphed into Modern Air Combat. The FC series will continue but we feel that MAC will represent the future of simplified ab initio simulator users."

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

• 1 month later...
Hi im new here i also created account on this forum to ask When we will get some info about game ? Will it be free to play - like War thunder ( prem acc/vechlices?) or will it be Pay to play ? Can anyone anwser ?

Most certainly not. You will have to purchase it to use it within DCS.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Im still asking under Eagle dynamic offical channel

video's they upload on YT "when we

will getsome more infoabout MAC" and

a month ago Eagle Dynamics Community Manager

"BIGNEWY" responded to me We will share more

news about MAC soon, the teams are working

very hard on getting it ready. And it's 2020.10.03 and still quiet:(

From ED COO --

We should be ready to start sharing MAC with the community in May - June

(u/dotrugirl @ reddit)

June eh? About the same time as the PS5 and Xbox arrive.

Coincidence?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Interesting concept

June eh? About the same time as the PS5 and Xbox arrive.

Coincidence?

Lol! Yes, pure.