JDAM Pre-plan mode

joeshenglingyuan

You enter enter your DD,MM,SS, hit Enter and then you either enter the last two decimals for the seconds (so you have DD,MM,SS.ss) or hit enter again to skip the decimals.

Keep in mind that with the decimals, you have an accuracy of 1 meter, without them it's lower (100m i think?)

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

TBH, I can type in either longitude and latitude with a double press, but it often results in the other flashing and not be able to be input.

DDMMSS.SS

If your MM or SS is a single digit say "9", I think you need to key in "09". Could it be that issue?

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

is it just me having this issue but if i try to get the Lat/lon from a set waypoint it does not enter the data but if i get it from the map it does?

Not sure I understand your question but basically in summary:

1. The UFC in the Hornet can only take DDMMSS.SS format. When keying in Long or Lat, key in E/W (if Long) or N/S (if Lat) then DDMMSS then hit Enter. Then key in .SS and hit Enter again. It should accept the coordinate. [The reason why Wags in his video did "Enter-Enter" was because he was effectively keying in the the last two decimals (.SS) as zero (.00).]

2. But the ME map currently does not have coordinates in DDMMSS.SS format. It will later in an update. Instead it has 3 other formats:-

• 1st - Default forrnat is DDMMSS which is not precise enough for hitting targets (unless the missing ".SS" happens to be zero).
  • 2nd - Press Left Alt Y and it go to DDMM.MMM format.
  • 3rd - Press Left Alt Y again and it will go to MGRS format.
  • You convert MGRS or DDMM.MMM to DDMMSS.SS for use in the UFC.

3. For conversion, I use the DDMM.MMM format because you can simply convert it to DDMMSS.SS by multiplying 0.MMM with 60. For example, N35°10.617' (DDMM.MMM) will become N35°10'37.02" (DDMMSS.SS) because 0.617' x 60 = 37.02".

4. What is the distance of 1 second? I read it varies between Long and Lat and where you are on the earth due to the earth's shape. For example, at 38°N, 1 second of Lat is 101ft while 1 second of Long is 80ft. So DDMMSS.SS should give you an accuracy of up to a few ft? Not sure if/how this is modeled in DCS though.

I hope I got this right!

Cheers

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Not sure I understand your question but basically in summary:

1. The UFC in the Hornet can only take DDMMSS.SS format. When keying in Long or Lat, key in E/W (if Long) or N/S (if Lat) then DDMMSS then hit Enter. Then key in .SS and hit Enter again. It should accept the coordinate. [The reason why Wags in his video did "Enter-Enter" was because he was effectively keying in the the last two decimals (.SS) as zero (.00).]

2. But the ME map currently does not have coordinates in DDMMSS.SS format. It will later in an update. Instead it has 3 other formats:-

• 1st - Default forrnat is DDMMSS which is not precise enough for hitting targets (unless the missing ".SS" happens to be zero).
  • 2nd - Press Left Alt Y and it will go to MGRS format.
  • 3rd - Press Left Alt Y again and it go to DDMM.MMM format.
  • You convert MGRS or DDMM.MMM to DDMMSS.SS for use in the UFC.

3. For conversion, I use the 2nd format DDMM.MMM because you can simply convert it to DDMMSS.SS by multiplying 0.MMM with 60. For example, N35°10.617' (DDMM.MMM) will become N35°10'37.02" (DDMMSS.SS) because 0.617' x 60 = 37.02".

4. What is the distance of 1 second? I read it varies between Long and Lat and where you are on the earth due to the earth's shape. For example, at 38°N, 1 second of Lat is 101ft while 1 second of Long is 80ft. So DDMMSS.SS should give you an accuracy of up to a few ft? Not sure if/how this is modeled in DCS though.

I hope I got this right!

Cheers

You nailed it.

Keep in mind that with the decimals, you have an accuracy of 1 meter, without them it's lower (100m i think?)

i dropt a ton of JDAMS and never used the decimals, i used the coords from TACVIEW or Web GUI's from MP servers like GAW or Fraternity and my bombs always did a direct hit. ALWAYS

so i think its more like 10ft not 100ft in DCS at least

SFMBE

TBH, I can type in either longitude and latitude with a double press, but it often results in the other flashing and not be able to be input.

To simplify from the nice detailed answer above: You were likely trying to enter DECIMAL of the minutes (i.e. a number greater than 60) rather than SECONDS. Use 60 seconds X the decimal minute. So 43.54.743 (DD.MM.MMM) needs to be entered as 43.54.4458 -- the 44.58 seconds is 60 seconds x 0.743 minutes. Took me a while to figure out why I kept getting flashing entry sometimes, but not always. If it happened to be less than 60 it would accept the entry, but you won't have properly entered the co-ordinates. For example it would take entry of "50" seconds (0.50 minutes) as valid but you should have entered 30 seconds and in this case you will have actually entered 50 seconds.

Edited by rob10

You enter enter your DD,MM,SS, hit Enter and then you either enter the last two decimals for the seconds (so you have DD,MM,SS.ss) or hit enter again to skip the decimals.

Hi guys, just for information:

For latitude: N/S AA°BB'CC"DD

1° = 60Nm

1' = 1Nm

1" = 1/60 = 0.016667Nm = 30.9m = 100ft

So so 1 decimal second (DD in my format) is 0.3m or 01 ft.

The longitude accuracy will change according to latitude but will be equal on equator or less.

It's plenty accurate enough to put bombs on target :thumbup:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

The above make sense. I just remembered 100 without decimals and 1 with both decimals, I was unsure if it was meters or feet.

There's a new JTAC script that gives a DD/MM/SS.ss format on the User Files section. Looks good, but I haven't tested it yet myself.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

• 3 years later...

Finally found some clear explanation and guidance!  Thanks to all for the comments, formula, and suggestions.  I've been struggling w/this for a while.  Nice to be able to use the JDAMs now.  Appreciate it!