Ground power and airstart

FOXFIRE TWOONE

Is been a long time since I tried ground power to start the f18. I tried with GP and Air connected thinking I should not need onboard apu, but no success. Does it work? Got all panel lit, now what.?

Intel core I9 10900K 3.7 ghz

Asrock Z490 Extreme4

G-SKill Ripjaws V 32GB

Cooler Master 120m

GTX 980 Superclocked

Corsair AX850w psu

Samsung 1 T M.2 2 X 850 ssd's

Sony 48 in HD TV

Trackir 5

Hotas Warthog F/A-18C Hornet Grip

Logitech Pro Peddles

Windows 10 64

With external electrical power -

1. Battery - OFF

2. EXT PWR switch - RESET - NORMAL (right click)

3. GND PWR switches 1, 2, and 4 - B ON (left click hold for 3 seconds)

4. L® DDI, HI/MPCD, and HUD - ON

5. COMM 1, 2, and ADF - AS DESIRED

6. Warning and caution lights - TEST

7. Inertial navigation system - ENTER WAYPOINTS DESIRED

The procedure is, after enabling ground electrical power:

BLEED AIR knob to OFF

ask ground crew to connect air

Ash ground crew to apply air

CRANK switch to R

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The procedure is, after enabling ground electrical power:

BLEED AIR knob to OFF

ask ground crew to connect air

Ash ground crew to apply air

CRANK switch to R

OK ask to apply air is what i missed.

Asrock Z490 Extreme4

G-SKill Ripjaws V 32GB

Cooler Master 120m

GTX 980 Superclocked

Corsair AX850w psu

Sony 48 in HD TV

Trackir 5

Logitech Pro Peddles

Windows 10 64

How to ask ground Power without battery?

If i don't start battery my hotas comms switches don't do anything.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Hi, I do confirm, the battery Switch must be ON, and Fire Warning Test Performed, then we can follow the procedure.

When the canopy is open, the \ key allows you to contact the ground crew even with battery OFF ... it's like simulating the pilot shouting at the crew :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Why would you need that? Don't know about the F/A-18, but on all other planes I know, with a dead battery the airplane is grounded.

@pokeraccio, the fire warning doesn't have anything to do with it. Simply turn on the battery and contact the ground crew.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

When the canopy is open, the \ key allows you to contact the ground crew even with battery OFF ... it's like simulating the pilot shouting at the crew :)

That make sense.

Only the first engine starts with ground power, i couldn't managed to start other engine it needs APU.

The firs time you ask to apply air, the GC plugs it into the right engine .. once it has started you ask them to apply air again, this time they will connect the hose onto the left engine.

Why would you need that? Don't know about the F/A-18, but on all other planes I know, with a dead battery the airplane is grounded.

@pokeraccio, the fire warning doesn't have anything to do with it. Simply turn on the battery and contact the ground crew.

I believe the Battery On prior to engines start is part of the procedure, I do not know the elecrtical sys of F18 in deep, but in general could be do to some emergency buses beeing powered related to The Fire Warning and extinguishing sys of the aircraft.

On almost every airplane equipped with this sys, the test is compulsory prior to start Engines or APU.

I wasn't talking about the correct procedure, only what is required to contact the ground crew.

well, you weren't really helping, just criticizing the people that was trying to help :(

Only the first engine starts with ground power, i couldn't managed to start other engine it needs APU.

You can start without ground power, just using air supply.

Battery on

Request air

Bleed air to off

Request supply air

Rgt engine switch on, wait for 15 to 20 percent throttle, to idle

Do other neccessary step's after rgt start

Making sure brake is set and hold brake if you have peddles

Run rgt engine up to about 80 percent

Lft engine switch to idle

and the rest you know.

Edited by FOXFIRE TWOONE

Asrock Z490 Extreme4

G-SKill Ripjaws V 32GB

Cooler Master 120m

GTX 980 Superclocked

Corsair AX850w psu

Sony 48 in HD TV

Trackir 5

Logitech Pro Peddles

Windows 10 64

I wasn't talking about the correct procedure, only what is required to contact the ground crew.

Thanks bbrz, I understood this way.

Also the other guy (@Rudel_chw) point was very useful because I wasn’t expecting the simple radio key working with real radio option selected, and make sense with the canopy open the possibility to communicate directly with ground staff.

1. Battery - OFF

3. GND PWR switches 1, 2, and 4 - B ON (left click hold for 3 seconds)

4. L® DDI, HI/MPCD, and HUD - ON

5. COMM 1, 2, and ADF - AS DESIRED

6. Warning and caution lights - TEST

7. Inertial navigation system - ENTER WAYPOINTS DESIRED

Correct procedure is:

1. Battery - ON (not necessary for ground checks but if you go for a flight you'll need it ;))

3. GND PWR switches 1, 2, 3 and 4 - B ON (left click hold for 3 seconds)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Correct procedure is:

1. Battery - ON (not necessary for ground checks but if you go for a flight you'll need it ;))

3. GND PWR switches 1, 2, 3 and 4 - B ON (left click hold for 3 seconds)

Cool thx for correcting me. Updating my notes!

Because my VFW checklist states this way...i am used (and i learned) the normal startup checklist.

But they want a radio contact before starting anything in the plane...so the only way is by applying ground power and the 4 ground power switches

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

thanks....that solved my issue :)

? I simply provided the answer what the easiest and fastest way is to contact the ground crew and that a dead battery is a no-go.

:thumbup:

The firs time you ask to apply air, the GC plugs it into the right engine .. once it has started you ask them to apply air again, this time they will connect the hose onto the left engine.

Not neccessary to ask for 2nd round of air using these steps after startup of right engine:

• Crank left engine
  • Advance right throttle to ~85%
  • Push left throttle out of idle
  • Watch left engine spooling up
  • Proceed with startup as ususal

Bleed Air should be turned, but it works without it.

Bug?