How much weapons can the harrier carry to start with max fuel from the Tawarra?

Larkis

Hello everybody.

Currently i just play a little bit around with the harrier and i like it a little bit. But there is something im really afraid of and that is AAR with the Harrier. :helpsmilie:

So to which degree the harrier is usable without AAR? I mostly fly hornet and i can load the hornet to the max (bombs and missiles on every free pylon + 2 Tanks + Pod) and still can launch from the catapult. How about the Harrier on the Tawara? Could i put the Pods, 2 Tanks and max avaible number of bombs on it and still start?

Or is start with low fuel and AAR a mandatory thing for the Harrier?

From the Tarawa I personally wouldn’t exceed:

- 4 Mavs, or

- 2 tanks and 2 Mavs, or

- 6 gbus

It’s possible to manage more, but take off becomes much more dangerous

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

You can take off from the Tarawa with 6 GBU 12 + 2 Mavs + 2 Sidewinder/sidearm.

You can even take off from the tarawa with 2 empty tanks + 6 GBU 12 + 2 AAM and then refuel, top up the tanks and have quite impressive range.

That being said, normal combat loadouts are much lighter.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

31k is fairly easy, we've done it at 33k it's just a bit tricky. Depends on the wind speed and how fast the LHA is moving. The AV8 has a page that tells you how much distance and what speed you need to rotate at, I just can't think of the process to get to it at the moment.

Moe "Moespeeds" Colontonio

vVMA 231

http://www.vvma-231.com/

Looking for a serious US based Harrier Squadron? We are recruiting!

Thanks for the answers.

it testet it a little bit and the combination of Water, VTOL-Flaps + 50deg Thruster on end of the ship give a smooth take off, even if fully loaded with fuel and bombs. :music_whistling:

Edited by Larkis

The AV8 has a page that tells you how much distance and what speed you need to rotate at, I just can't think of the process to get to it at the moment.

Switch to VSTOL master mode (I think NAV also works, A/G does not).

Go to MENU > VREST and box STO (short take off) at the top.

That will show you the runway length you need with (WET) and without (DRY) using water injection.

The LHA has distance markings, the furthest of them shows 750 feet of runway. If you back up a little more you can squeeze out a bit more distance, but within 750 feet you can take off with quite heavy loadouts if you switch your water injection system on (and double-check that your flaps are set to V/STOL, not that I have ever forgotten to do that).

If I'm going for straight ground attack, I have Taken off with 45% gas, TGP, gunpod, 2 empty tanks and 6 GBU-12's. You do of course have to hit the tanker pretty damn quickly.

I have changed to 2 GBU-16 and 2 GBU-12 and had same results getting off the deck

• 6 months later...

This is overkill massively but you can take off from the Tarawa with max fuel, gunpod, tpod and 14 gbu 12 (obviously from the rear of the carrier) and it's an absolute slug and you have to be careful with it but you can do it

You can STO up to MTOM, but you need to be at 20000 lbs or lighter to VTOL (4500 lbs fuel and two bombs, TGP, and gun pod).

Between 20k lbs and 24 k lbs you can do what is called a "short vertical landing". You can't arrest the rate of descent, but it is slow enough to land safely. It's a super-slow forward landing with ~20 kts forward airspeed.

Above 24000 lbs you need to do rolling takeoff and landing.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

Between 20k lbs and 24 k lbs you can do what is called a "short vertical landing". You can't arrest the rate of descent, but it is slow enough to land safely. It's a super-slow forward landing with ~20 kts forward airspeed.

Above 24000 lbs you need to do rolling takeoff and landing.

If you're looking for realism, there is no such thing as a rolling landing on a LHD. VLs are the only authorized landing aboard ship. Unfortunately, even IRL, people try stuff like that. We had a VMA-311 jet crash trying to do a RVL (Rolling Vertical Landing), which is completely against NATOPS. They actually did it twice, the first time they got lucky and landed it, the second time the mains caught the back of the ship as it pitched up and it skidded to a stop near the island. All pilots involved were immediately removed from the deployment including the pilot of the crashed jet, the LSO, the flight lead and the Officer In Charge (OIC) of the Harrier Det. Not 100% positive but I'm almost certain none of them ever flew again.

Ahh yes... you're right. I was just giving limits, rather than specifics for the carrier.

If you're looking for realism, there is no such thing as a rolling landing on a LHD. VLs are the only authorized landing aboard ship. Unfortunately, even IRL, people try stuff like that. We had a VMA-311 jet crash trying to do a RVL (Rolling Vertical Landing), which is completely against NATOPS. They actually did it twice, the first time they got lucky and landed it, the second time the mains caught the back of the ship as it pitched up and it skidded to a stop near the island. All pilots involved were immediately removed from the deployment including the pilot of the crashed jet, the LSO, the flight lead and the Officer In Charge (OIC) of the Harrier Det. Not 100% positive but I'm almost certain none of them ever flew again.

Wow. :noexpression:

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."