30mm gun - recoil

Flagrum

Funny, last night I had the opportunity to attack 3 humvee's with minimal threats, I started at 3 km and had to work myself in to about 1.5 km to actually get a hit on them. I was using very short burst so I would not have to fuss much with the torque. I tried elevations between about 400 down to about 80. Turn on target and moving target both on

Hi Fakum, I wouldn't think about engaging until I was within 2km with the cannon (HE), and 1.5km for (AP). Slow rate of fire and a steady platform, either stationary or steadily moving . I would also do a final lase just before I fired if you closed the space at all.

You could go high rate and start firing from further out but you are wasting ammo that could be used to kill more targets.

It really depends on what targets are out there and using the right weapon for the right threat, all the while only using the minimum number of rounds to make a kill.

The other side of the coin, is don't rush in and make sure you did a good scan of the area before committing.

Some targets that are an excellent candidate for the cannon would be BTRs, BRDM, infantry (non MANPADS) etc.

You shouldn't waste more than 8 rounds per target.

Soft targets (Humvees, trucks, Sam and AA) can be destroyed at 3 Km or more with the Kannon and with a stable, solid Hover.

Foot troops can be killed at 4Km with a short and slow burst when in a solid, stable hover. Aim at their feet with smallest box setting.

As soon as you are in forward flight your accuracy will drop off.

For moving targets I lock the engine or headlights for better results in target tracking.

Soft targets love HE rounds.

A solid stable Hover and a Slow rate of fire in short bursts is the key to improving accuracy at long range. It reduces vibration and rotation of the Chopper. The targeting computer is doing a good job of compensating for fire but even a quarter of a degree of movement at the Gun/Chopper will produce a huge error 3 km down range. The targeting computer can only react to shots being fired where as you can predict when and how you will fire.

Some troop carriers have thicker armour and require more energy to penetrate their armour, so there is a need to maintain the bullets velocity at impact, so here a closer engagement of around 2Km is more desirable.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I have to agree with the short bursts and a stable platform,,,thats my experience so far anyway. But I'm no pro! Just trying to make it effective and efficient, and do it at a safe enough distance, not shot of a long burst and watch 1 or 2 out of 100 come close, if you know what I mean. Thanks for the feedback all.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Generally if you want to snipe you gotta do as the sniper does.

A stable platform in which to shoot from and the minimum rounds (+ pedal compensation at hammer drop).... Sweet!

You go running in spraying, then you gotta hope lady luck is with you.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.