[MERGED] DirectX 11/12, OpenGL, VulkanAPI Discussion

Well, I enabled Hyperthreading again in BIOS and Carrier takeoff frames went from a steady 35 to whopping 87. I enabled AF 16x and MSAA 2x and still have 45 frames on carrier takeoff so something have changed to DCS but I don't know when.

Well, I enabled Hyperthreading again in BIOS and Carrier takeoff frames went from a steady 35 to whopping 87. I enabled AF 16x and MSAA 2x and still have 45 frames on carrier takeoff so something have changed to DCS but I don't know when.

BINGO !

Say "Thank you ED" !

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Chizh said, as parts of the DCS Core are re-written they will use multi-threaded if applicable,

So the 1 Core for DCS, 1 for Sound label has been gone for a while.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Does this mean that Ryzen and similar AMD CPUs with lots of cores are now a genuine option to the old "Intel is best"?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Does this mean that Ryzen and similar AMD CPUs with lots of cores are now a genuine option to the old "Intel is best"?

Unless you strive for 1080p with low LOD to get maimum fps.

Intel still has the fastest "per core" CPU but looking at results from gaming benchmarks, it ( 2700x ) equals or beats the 8700k in almost any game at 1080p Ultra presets or higher resolutions. AMD is BACK.

I would buy an AMD now, cores will soon count more than they already do now is my guess.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Chizh said, as parts of the DCS Core are re-written they will use multi-threaded if applicable,

So the 1 Core for DCS, 1 for Sound label has been gone for a while.

If this is true then something must be broken with my install, or its somehow disabled. I rarely see my total CPU package utilization exceed 15%, and print screened a single instant it hit 19%. I've seen higher during mission loading, which is like IO/decompresion related. This in the F-15 BFM campaign on the ground, where my CPU is barely loaded, nor is my GPU (1080ti) very loaded but the FPS is low. This is without VR, where as with VR these missions are at 22 FPS anywhere near the starting ramp.

AzAFCVU.jpg

This is maybe not the perfect moment to measure anything.

Your GPU sits & waits for stuff to happen, that's why it's at 42% load only.

Max your settings, water + civil traffic too, max it all out and fly over Sukhumi, then report back :)

Or join a different aserver with different missions.

You will see more cores doing more work, it's not permanent and usually only lasts a couple seconds..but it is present. I wonder what the rig would do if it couldnt reach out to more cores and ghz to do things..?? stutter ??

This is maybe not the perfect moment to measure anything.

Your GPU sits & waits for stuff to happen, that's why it's at 42% load only.

Max your settings, water + civil traffic too, max it all out and fly over Sukhumi, then report back :)

Or join a different aserver with different missions.

You will see more cores doing more work, it's not permanent and usually only lasts a couple seconds..but it is present. I wonder what the rig would do if it couldnt reach out to more cores and ghz to do things..?? stutter ??

Except it should be, considering its an example of when the engine is in most need of using more cores. Especially considering they claim a huge single player base and this is the kind of performance that comes out of paid campaigns. Getting 100+ frames is meaning less when there is literally nothing going on besides your own jet. I already know completely why my GPU isn't loaded, I wasn't asking. I can indeed find times where the CPU has more going on after messing around with some other missions, but still when the area is quite sparse.

Hi guys - is anyone else able to replicate this greatly improved frame-rate by enabling Hyperthreading?. I have HT turned off in the bios as i could get extra MHZ on the my overclock. I use process lasso to ensure DCS gets maximum performance on the cores it runs on.

I wont get a chance to test this until the weekend but i would love to hear if other people can replicate such a large improvement just by turning HT on.

Thanks,

Paddy

• 3 weeks later...

For me DCS 2.5 was completely unplayable/unstable on a i9 7980XE (with HT enabled). The one single fix was to install Process Lasso, which boosted overall game performance (incl. loading etc.) to a level where i can enjoy the game on almost full details in VR (~45fps on a 1080ti).

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

(~45fps on a 1080ti).

45 fps in VR is like watching a family photo album :D

S!

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

blkspade, on your screenshot, 1 of your logical core (cpu16) has 94% load. This thread is capping all the other ressources. In this particular case you will benefit from disabling HT I guess. (you'll double the cpu capacity for this thread)

Also a higher cpu frequency will help (assuming your cpu is at stock values).

you don't need thousands cores if 1 thread is maxed out. This one need more room before other ressources become usable.

That isn't how hyperthreading works. Disabling HT can allow higher overclocks sometimes but it has no measurable impact on single thread performance with modern cpu's. I have verified this with the 8700k and Ryzen 5 1600x in DCS, other games and benchmarks.

DCS is still very much single threaded for the graphics engine. I have noticed the free map (and only that map) will load up other cores when rapidly changing view direction but it seems to be a busy wait (wasted CPU cycles) related to speedtree.

That said, DCS 2.5 runs vastly better than 1.5 did. It may still be single threaded, but it allows twice the fps compared to the old version. That means VR players can get a reliable 45 fps in 2.5 instead of the 22 fps 1.5 often gave. Certainly not ideal still, but playable at least.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

I totally disagree. To me the best exemple is P3dv4 : 1 thread is by far the biggest one. with hyperthreading on 1 logical core is maxedout by this thread and impossible to me to keep 90fps with rift.

With hyperthreading off, this thread don't max out the full physical core it's using and I keep 90fps easy.

That's basically how it works to my experience

Hyperthreading is dividing capacity of each cores to allow more threads. If the application has one big thread maxing out a logical core, than disable HT and you'll have more room for this thread.

I put it this way:

Applying ProcessLasso's SingleThread setting for DCS on my 6 cores has never lessened my experience.

While having that ON and flying MP, for example BlueFlag Caucasus, there will be many moments where you can see all six cores doing serious work, some for sure much less than the 1 tortured core but none the less, they have 20-40% load and some even more, for short periods of time, say 1-3 seconds, but it is a repeating thing so I am happy I can throw in more cores and keep the bird movin' smoothly. It is a lot easier to watch in TaskManager what goes on with this setting.

Contrary, with the newest version(s) I often fly w/o PL and it's not different, not that I could tell, but I havent flown VR in weeks so it might be still a good idea to use PL in VR.

• 2 weeks later...

BTW; adding Vulkan does not equate to actually being a proper linux port, right? Does anyone know how much work (and upkeep as well of course) it takes to make a game run natively well on linux once you have taken the graphics api hurdle?

I kinda fear albeit Vulkan would make it way easier to make a proper linux version of DCS, ED might want to shy away from having to maintain two DCS world versions and simply stay with the numbers, which is windows atm.

BTW; adding Vulkan does not equate to actually being a proper linux port, right? Does anyone know how much work (and upkeep as well of course) it takes to make a game run natively well on linux once you have taken the graphics api hurdle?

I kinda fear albeit Vulkan would make it way easier to make a proper linux version of DCS, ED might want to shy away from having to maintain two DCS world versions and simply stay with the numbers, which is windows atm.

Considering the Rest of the Simulation still uses Microsoft Visual C Runtimes, alot.

Vulkan was not Chosen because of Linux Support,

Vulkan Was Chosen because of Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 Support,

Where As DirectX 12 was Windows 10 Only.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Considering the Rest of the Simulation still uses Microsoft Visual C Runtimes, alot.

Vulkan was not Chosen because of Linux Support,

Vulkan Was Chosen because of Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 Support,

Where As DirectX 12 was Windows 10 Only.

While what you say is absolutely true to running across multiple versions of windows, the use of Microsoft C runtimes doesn't outright exclude Linux. Visual Studio 2017 supports Linux and cross platform development. Heck even the use of Vulkan seems to even offer native (or near) performance in Wine (according to what I've seen of Doom 2016). I know it would be a huge undertaking to try and support a Linux binary though on top of everything else, and probably isn't likely to happen.

It was the perfect foundation for the coming dedicated server.

We can dream...

./DCSd -m flyhigh.miz -d :)

I enabled AF 16x...

Does anything over AF x8 actually do anything in DCS2.5?

Regards, Django.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

• 1 month later...
ok so how do i get dx11 and do i need to uninstall 12?

Do nothing. Windows and the game do all that for you. There is absolutely nothing you can do except break your copy of the game or Windows.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

how can i download and install dx11?

DirectX 11 is Part of Windows.

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking about the upcoming Vulkan (hopefully this year), is there any way how I can help with testing it? I suppose that it will not hit the open beta for a long time.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.